Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BBE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2013
So...what are the chances if I bought a brand new ipad that it would have something older than 6.1.2 on it?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Literally 0 in a retail store.

Your only hope is to buy an unopened one from months ago off someone.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
So...what are the chances if I bought a brand new ipad that it would have something older than 6.1.2 on it?

Depends on the store/location - Do your research and find a store in a quiet location. Then ask the retailer to look in their system and find the oldest batch (stock is batched according to date received). I'm sure they will be happy to clear out older stock. :) Goodluck.

If iOS7 wasn't around the corner i'd be tempted to do the same thing so I can jailbreak my iPad again - I'd happily sell my iPad for a $50ish loss for a jail breakable iPad

----------

Literally 0 in a retail store.

Your only hope is to buy an unopened one from months ago off someone.

Sorry he has a pretty good chance - retailers like mine have had iPads stockpiled - iPad 4 is selling much slower than originally anticipated by resellers

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
Depends on the store/location - Do your research and find a store in a quiet location. Then ask the retailer to look in their system and find the oldest batch (stock is batched according to date received). I'm sure they will be happy to clear out older stock. :) Goodluck.

Ha ha, that is exactly what I did.

Its not been too long since 6.1.3 was released. I dont know how it works in your country, but if you could find a store (preferably not with a dedicated Apple kiosk) and ask them to give you one from the older batches, you might get lucky. My excitement of getting a brand new ipad was surpassed (or should I say augmented) by the thrill of getting one with 6.1.2 :D

All the best

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia

You won't believe it! Apple gave me a free iPad 4 today (I am a reseller) and it came with iOS 6.0 on it! Just my luck!

Off to jailbreak land...

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Why does it matter? If it came with something older, just upgrade yourself. Or do you actually WANT an older version?

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I bought a refurb iPad 3 last week. Came with iOS 5! Then I upgraded to iOS 6 to get Siri. If you don't mind having "last year's model" that's the way to go. I saved $200 and got all of the features of the 4, minus the A6X.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I bought a new iPad mini for the apple store 1 week before Mother's Day. It came with 6.1.2. I haven't updated it yet, just in case I decide to JB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.