Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morgannick2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Hi All,

My first post here.

Does anyone have this issue?

iphone5issue.jpg

Purple/pink lines that flicker on and off. This is intermittent and I cannot get my phone to repeat the problem at will but it has happened a few times. The only piece of info regarding symptoms is that it happened both times outside.

I called Apple today and all they could suggest was a restore.

Phone is iPhone 5 32GB.

Cheers.. Nick

Springerbob

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi. I have exactly the problem. I purchased on launch day and it did it once that day. It has been doing it more and more the last two weeks and I've managed to take a few photos of it - identical purple/pink lines. I had assumed it to be a camera sensor fault and I have a Genius Bar appt booked - expecting a replacement handset.

Last edited:

morgannick2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Hi - did you get your phone swapped out?

Quick update my side: I did a full restore as per Apple support request. All looked good, but its just done it again.

I'll call Apple again.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
looks like a bad camera or other hardware related issue. i would save a screen shot and return it to apple.

TheUnbashable

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
I have the same problem as discribed. I have an Black 32GB iPhone 5 bought on release date.
Today I've got an really bad screen, for almost half pink.
Ad that to the ****** reception from normal calls (iPhone 4 with same carrier worked fine), the Black band that loses its color (aluminium dots) and the fact that i'm not mobile with iPhone 5 because I have to recharge at least once in 20 hours, and I do nothing different with my iPhone 4 that I have to charge once in 48 hours.
This company really disappoints me. Money cant be the problem, I paid 849 euro's to get this thing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,490

zzdodge

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Based upon 25 years work with digital sensors, I believe your best shot is a replacement.

This could be many things, but it looks like hardware. Why the magenta, is interesting.

cdmike

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Same problem here :(

iPhone 5 Black 16GB bought on launch day in Italy

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8,517
  • photo (1).PNG
    photo (1).PNG
    859.4 KB · Views: 1,006

AndyMc

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
New York, Ivano-Frankivsk
If you bought your iPhone straight from Apple the best move for you will be if you go to Apple store and tell about your problem. In best case they will give you the new phone. Be serious and make them believe that it is their problem? not yours and that it is not good to disappoints clients.

cdmike

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
If you bought your iPhone straight from Apple the best move for you will be if you go to Apple store and tell about your problem. In best case they will give you the new phone. Be serious and make them believe that it is their problem? not yours and that it is not good to disappoints clients.

Thank you Andy.
Sadly I don't have an Apple Store in my region so I've scheduled an Apple Care repair.
Next Monday a courier will pick up my phone and I hope that Apple will replace it with a brand new device :)

CupawnTae

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Did you guys get your phones swapped out? I've just logged a service request (no Apple Stores here either) for exactly the same problem. Happened the day I bought it (not launch day, couple of weeks later) and then maybe every couple of months - impossible to reproduce on-demand.

Got a pretty quick response saying it would probably be covered by warranty - not sure if it's an autoresponder, but hoping that this is a known issue and they'll just replace it.

602921_10151285547615698_1854465115_n.jpg

CupawnTae

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
"Could not reproduce"

Be warned!

I used the online repair request form, and in the "steps to reproduce" box explained that it was very difficult to reproduce the issue. I got only automated responses, and today the online status went from "received, diagnosing" to "could not duplicate issue" to "original product shipped" all while I ate my dinner (I was refreshing the page all day). I called them and they said "sorry, if it's shipped it's shipped", and "in future, you're better off calling us than using the online form".

I like the way they have tomorrow's date on steps 2 and 3 as well...

Step 1 Request

February 11, 2013: Product received by service center
Shipped via UPS with tracking number xxxxxxxxx

Step 2 Service

February 12, 2013: Could not duplicate issue

Step 3 Return

February 12, 2013: Original product shipped
Shipped via UPS with tracking number yyyyyyyyyy

riiiic

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
the same here

I got the same problem yesterday. It disappear during the video when I changed the inclination of the iphone.

I'm astonished.

"The cosmetic problem of loosing the color"

Battery life problem, when the net ti bad (one or two band) iphone warms up like a oven try to find connection (if you have no connection, why do you (I'm speacking to the phone) try to reach it draining out the battery ?

And now the big CAMERA problem. This is huge, huger than everything else...

Pink line ? in the video ?

SHAME. SHAME!

CupawnTae

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Replacement phone - STILL HAPPENS!

After receiving my original phone back with a "cannot reproduce", I sent it back again after speaking with a rep over the phone.

They sent me a replacement (can't tell if new or refurb, but definitely a different phone) and it started happening again on the new phone.

I deliberately didn't restore from a backup of the previous phone to eliminate that as a possible cause.

What are the chances I got two duds? Is it possible it's a problem with all iPhone 5's but happens so infrequently that it's not noticed in general? Could there be a load of people out there that have seen this and not bothered reporting it?

x2zero

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
Me too

I have experienced the same problem with 2 iPhone 5's. Problem is intermittent, but happens with 3rd party camera apps too. Also on panorama feature of camera. Haven't tried it on video.

Hkglemontea

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
I have experiencing the same problem as it is a horizontal lines flickering 2 to 3 while I am using the HD camera. But it happened to me twice only and I have yet to face the same problem again when I switch off the hd camera. And the flickering doesn't affect the photo taking. It only block you from shooting photos. I will definitely report it to apple support centre if this happen to me again.

cy2u5

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2013
Hi,

I also have the same issue with my iPhone 5 32 GB, that I got a month ago.

After one week I got these issues with the camera:

1.: Some vertical purple lines on the cam screen
2.: Half cam screen wents purple
3.: Cam screen gets very dark while focussing
4.: Cam app closes and restarts

I called Apple and requested a service and UPS picked up my iPhone. A few days later I got it back because Apple didn't find an error.

After one week later the problems occured again and I called Apple again. UPS picked it up again and after a diagnosis I got a replaced iPhone.

Now, 1 week later the replaced iPhone has the same issues!!!
That's weird and confusing :(

Will call Apple again

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Take note of the serial number before shipping so that you can compare the serial number with the replacement to make sure it was really replaced.

Stark735

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
Took a screen shot of mine booked an appointment took it in today and it was swapped out there and then without question the nice girl even gave me a replacement screen protector.

Can't say I'm impressed that it failed in the first place but can't beat that sort of customer service smashes the others out of the water!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
This is due to a loose camera connector cable. At the most general level, there are 3 separate wires in the that connector, one for each R, G and B data feed. The reason you see pink is because one or more of the 3 wires is loose and not transmitting the data properly.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
This is due to a loose camera connector cable. At the most general level, there are 3 separate wires in the that connector, one for each R, G and B data feed. The reason you see pink is because one or more of the 3 wires is loose and not transmitting the data properly.

That's awesome to know. Thanks for sharing that. That piece of info could come in handy for DIY repair for folks that have out of warranty phones.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Just to add some information to this thread, I think i've found a way to replicate this problem with my phone. http://youtu.be/9AMHF3s-Lko

1) disable Wifi and 3G.
2) Wait for your phone to switch to GPRS/2G.
3) Send a iMessage or email - anything that involves network access.
4) Open Camera app while the phone is using the network and you should see the glitches.

I'm going to the Apple store on Tuesday to see what they can do about it. I also have 4 large dust spots on my sensor so I'm hoping for just a quick swap for a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.