Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

putongnihongo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Personally I think one of their biggest talking points will be:

Map tweaks specifically for Asia
Ok before anyone says what is the big deal, remember the latest iOS update had specific updates just for Japanese maps. There will be an announcement that in selective regions users can search for locations not just by street but by the names of the buildings. For users in places like Hong Kong this is of the greatest importance. Asia is a major market for Apple and the crippled mapping has pissed off the users.

Cooperation with various global business registries and related sites to increase accuracy and offerings of POIs
If anyone has been looking for the past 16 months, Apple has spent a serious amount of time recruiting engineers and experts that specialize in backend data pipe lines.

Expansion of voice direction languages
Derp

Night Mode

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Google maps again becoming default maps app for iOS devices :p

At least almost 12 months down the track their data for town is still correct. Apple have done no updates and error corrections at all in town, despite being made aware of over 60 errors

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I would love to see Apple Maps get an overhaul but I don't think it's going to happen. I've submitted over 50 changes to many places in my area and not a single one has been corrected. Like many other things Apple has done recently, it's half baked. They talk it up to be this great new addition to iOS and then don't touch it again. Siri is STILL in beta and STILL needs improvement. Passbook isn't nearly as useful as Apple made it out to be when it was first released (note that there are less than 50 apps that support Passbook).

Just recently I used Apple Maps to navigate and the app wouldn't load visual navigation after using it for a few minutes. I had to stop navigation and then start it back up. It got so annoying that I had to use Google's maps. What a nice change that was. It was so nice seeing places where they should be, along with numerous other things that Google has perfected.

I gave Apple Maps a fair try, honestly. The aesthetics are outstanding but the data is ****. And to add insult to injury, it seems as though Apple isn't doing a damn thing to fix it.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The 'surprise' is that the information in my area will still suck. The problem seems to be that Apple has contracted with the wrong partners in my part of the UK, and doesn't seem to want to use its large overseas stash of cash to hire somebody to do things properly in Scotland. I pay no less for my iPhone than somebody in New York. I get why Apple released Maps when it did, but it should be focusing on rectifying things. Google has been by my town several times this year judging by the pictures, whereas Apple still hasn't corrected business POI information that I have been submitting since the first day Maps came out. :mad::mad::mad:

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
The number 1 "feature" I'm looking for in iOS 7 is the ability to change the default app.

Damn I'd love to use the gmail app, but it's too much hassle since its not at all "baked in" to the OS... same goes for maps. Especially when google realise their new iPhone app!

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
I have Google maps on my phone but rarely use it. I use Apple's most of the time, and some of the time I use Waze. Apple maps rarely lets me down. International support may suck, but this just isn't an issue in the U.S. for most people.

The majority of people here don't even realize that the maps are different. Most of my friends and family still think they are using Google maps.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Personally I think one of their biggest talking points will be:

Map tweaks specifically for Asia
Ok before anyone says what is the big deal, remember the latest iOS update had specific updates just for Japanese maps. There will be an announcement that in selective regions users can search for locations not just by street but by the names of the buildings. For users in places like Hong Kong this is of the greatest importance. Asia is a major market for Apple and the crippled mapping has pissed off the users.

Cooperation with various global business registries and related sites to increase accuracy and offerings of POIs
If anyone has been looking for the past 16 months, Apple has spent a serious amount of time recruiting engineers and experts that specialize in backend data pipe lines.

Expansion of voice direction languages
Derp

Night Mode
Like now when I triple click home button?

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Google maps again becoming default maps app for iOS devices :p

Apple will never admit they made a mistake and reverse course, remember the Antennagate issue with the IP4, Jobs never and Apple never admitted they did something wrong and reversed their course, they fixed the issues and moved on with the 4S. So they will do the same with Apple Maps, personally I use them and never have an issue, they will only get better from here, but if you like Google Maps, just download the app, simply solution

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
All I want is the Google or Apple maps to offer the offline caching that Google Maps offers on Android. You simply draw a box around the region you want to download and hit save. That simple. Not sure why it's absent in Google' iOS offering.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
It could be because Google may think if you like it so much you should buy and Android powered device :)

Ha, maybe, but it's one of those features that you'd only know existed if you had already used an Android device. ;)

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Really, Apple needs to do more to improve their maps using the submissions people are making.

Just looking at central London - University College Hospital (one of the most important hospitals in London) has its pin in totally the wrong place.

In fact, they've put the pin at University College London across the road (which doesn't actually have its own pin). It's confusing enough for people who don't know the area!

According to Apple, this is a hospital:

shapeimage_1.png

and this building is of no importance whatsoever:

UCLH_i.jpg

I've submitted corrections like a hundred times. It's been like this since the beta.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Just night mode will be enough for me. I downloaded Waze because I drive half the time at night and really prefer not being blinded by my own phone.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I don't understand the complaints. What are people using it for that it's so critical? I've used it like maybe, twice ever since I got my iPhone 5. The only time I could see really finding maps all that important is if I traveled a lot. I know my own town pretty well, and my own car has built in GPS with voice navigation.

And Google Maps is available if you prefer it, so what's the problem?

Now a new keyboard - THAT I would like to see.

Last edited:

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
I don't understand the complaints. What are people using it for that it's so critical? I've used it like maybe, twice ever since I got my iPhone 5. The only time I could see really finding maps all that important is if I traveled a lot. I know my own town pretty well, and my own car has built in GPS with voice navigation.

And Google Maps is available if you prefer it, so what's the problem?

Now a new keyboard - THAT I would like to see.

New IME is a must.

I have an HTC One and an iPhone. Its no contest. Seriously, not even close. Especially now that I can use emoji on Android :)

xcvista

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Shanghai, China
I wish this is true - Google Maps serves perfect in my place (Municipality of Shanghai) but Apple's and Bing's are **** here. (Bing's are double ****).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.