Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Yeah I understood that now. So sauer's comments are wrong that there is a screen that lets geniuses choose which carrier the phone is gonna be locked to?

Correct. Ever stand in line on launch day and they come through asking everyone which phone they want because they have limited supplies?

rnbgrilla

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
Not gonna work. CDMA US iPhone only work abroad.

Verizon Is CDMA & there iphone 5 is GSM unlock, See How Much You Know, But As For Sprint, There Iphone Is Diffrent, or how they run it, in other words, u know what I mean

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Yeah I understood that now. So sauer's comments are wrong that there is a screen that lets geniuses choose which carrier the phone is gonna be locked to?

for the 709348549th time, there is a screen where refurb CDMA phones will be prompted to input which carrier the phone is to be used on. there will be a list from everything to Appalacian Wireless all the way down to Verizon and everything in between. The person setting up the phone must select the carrier to which the phone will associate itself with.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
for the 709348549th time, there is a screen where refurb CDMA phones will be prompted to input which carrier the phone is to be used on. there will be a list from everything to Appalacian Wireless all the way down to Verizon and everything in between. The person setting up the phone must select the carrier to which the phone will associate itself with.

This might be but it doesn't lock the phone to that carrier. A locked iPhone is already locked to the carrier that you are buying it for. This is why if you stand in line for a phone on launch, when they running low, they do a count and see which phone you want. They won't sell you a Sprint phone if you are buying it for AT&T. The phone is locked to Sprint.

Verizon iPhones will work on AT&T without unlocking however.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
This might be but it doesn't lock the phone to that carrier. A locked iPhone is already locked to the carrier that you are buying it for. This is why if you stand in line for a phone on launch, when they running low, they do a count and see which phone you want. They won't sell you a Sprint phone if you are buying it for AT&T. The phone is locked to Sprint.

Verizon iPhones will work on AT&T without unlocking however.

not sure im understanding you here.

the replacement CDMA devices that come in white boxes are "blanks" and need to be assigned to a carrier upon activating. once assigned to a carrier, this tells the phone which network to consider its "home" or default carrier on which it will be primarily used on. once the carrier settings are downloaded, this will then either lock or unlock the SIM slot.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
not sure im understanding you here.

the replacement CDMA devices that come in white boxes are "blanks" and need to be assigned to a carrier upon activating. once assigned to a carrier, this tells the phone which network to consider its "home" or default carrier on which it will be primarily used on. once the carrier settings are downloaded, this will then either lock or unlock the SIM slot.

I heard people that got a replacement even though they picked Verizon the phone was still locked to Sprint when they handed in their sprint iphone 5 for replacement.
So not sure even if you mis-select the carrier option it would make any difference on a refurb replacement.

Manfredo

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
The iPhone 5 for sprint is indeed locked, but it can be unlocked using a GPP sim. I know because I do it all the time when I buy and sell phones. In fact the GPP sim can do it with any carrier that has a locked 5 on their network. Even if the phone has a bad esn it can be unlocked, yes it's true that it is not unlocked forever and you would have to buy a new sim if you wanted to update... But at least you no longer have to worry about buying an iPhone 5 iPod from a thief for 3-400 bucks and not being able to use it as a phone! Trust me its possible and has been for quite some time:)

----------

Is this something you are sure of?

----------

I wish I could. I couldn't pay my bill and switched. It's got a bad esn so I'm stuck with the iPhone

The iPhone 5 for sprint is indeed locked, but it can be unlocked using a GPP sim. I know because I do it all the time when I buy and sell phones. In fact the GPP sim can do it with any carrier that has a locked 5 on their network. Even if the phone has a bad esn it can be unlocked, yes it's true that it is not unlocked forever and you would have to buy a new sim if you wanted to update... But at least you no longer have to worry about buying an iPhone 5 iPod from a thief for 3-400 bucks and not being able to use it as a phone! Trust me its possible and has been for quite some time

freesimons

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
Which GPP works with Iphone5?

The iPhone 5 for sprint is indeed locked, but it can be unlocked using a GPP sim. I know because I do it all the time when I buy and sell phones. In fact the GPP sim can do it with any carrier that has a locked 5 on their network. Even if the phone has a bad esn it can be unlocked, yes it's true that it is not unlocked forever and you would have to buy a new sim if you wanted to update... But at least you no longer have to worry about buying an iPhone 5 iPod from a thief for 3-400 bucks and not being able to use it as a phone! Trust me its possible and has been for quite some time:)
----------

Thanks for the great info guys. Which GPP works for a Sprint iphone 5? Thanks

coopmike

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
I came across something interesting on T-Mobile's website. http://explore.t-mobile.com/phone-sim-card

I went to get a sim for a relative's AT&T iPhone and "Step 1: Check Your Phone" lists "Apple Sprint iPhone 5" as a compatible device.

Also, the fine print says this...

"Only T-Mobile and AT&T’s iPhones, and Verizon’s & Sprint’s iPhone 5 will work on our network; other iPhones may have limited functionality, including coverage limitations. Capable device required for 4G speeds; capable iPhone may achieve 4G speeds in limited areas. iPhone is a registered trademark of Apple Inc."

Has anything recently changed?

Last edited:

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I came across something interesting on T-Mobile's website. http://explore.t-mobile.com/phone-sim-card

I went to get a sim for a relative's AT&T iPhone and "Step 1: Check Your Phone" lists "Apple Sprint iPhone 5" as a compatible device.

Also, the fine print says this...

"Only T-Mobile and AT&T’s iPhones, and Verizon’s & Sprint’s iPhone 5 will work on our network; other iPhones may have limited functionality, including coverage limitations. Capable device required for 4G speeds; capable iPhone may achieve 4G speeds in limited areas. iPhone is a registered trademark of Apple Inc."

Has anything recently changed?

That's just a slight mishap on T-Mobile's part. The Sprint iPhone 5 has not and will not (probably ever) work on T-Mobile or any other domestic GSM network.

coopmike

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
That's just a slight mishap on T-Mobile's part. The Sprint iPhone 5 has not and will not (probably ever) work on T-Mobile or any other domestic GSM network.

That's what I thought but it gives one some recourse to try it and get a full refund if it doesn't work. I just found it strange that they only called out Sprint's iPhone 5.

I've read all the "you're screwed" posts about the Sprint iPhones but was hoping to get a TMobile employee to poke around and see how/why it showed in two different places.

My SERO iPhone is killing me. Nothing says 2013 like 31 Kbps down and 1.4 Kbps up. I get home from work before google maps traffic loads.

After using a relative's 4s for few days on the new AT&T $60 prepaid, I'm ditching my beloved SERO plan come October 7 (or whenever we all ordered the 4s on Sprint) for something else... TMobile, Verizon, AT&T?

I'm switching back to my Sprint 4s today and selling my iPhone 5 now. Tmobile has/had a $.99 sim sale so I'm going to try a new line based on their info. It's going to fail but I'm in a place where I call try without worry.

Good luck everybody.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Unlocking Sprint iPhone 5 for T-Mobile?

How different is this GPP sim unlock to a regular unlock if I want to unlock my 5 and sell it on eBay as an unlocked iPhone?

Should I be listing it as a GPP sim unlock? Does it make a difference ?

BTW I'm also locked down to Sprint's crappy network.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
How different is this GPP sim unlock to a regular unlock if I want to unlock my 5 and sell it on eBay as an unlocked iPhone?

Should I be listing it as a GPP sim unlock? Does it make a difference ?

BTW I'm also locked down to Sprint's crappy network.

It makes a big difference.
Make sure you say you're providing a sim adapter for the unlock since the phone is not unlocked.
If you don't then the buyer will just file a claim with eBay and you won't get paid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.