Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Automatic introduced its Automatic Link connected car system in March of this year, promising to ship out the app and the Bluetooth adapter beginning in May.

The system includes a plug-in adapter that is designed to read data from a car's onboard diagnostics, turning nearly any car manufactured after 1996 into a connected car. The adapter utilizes an accompanying iPhone app to provide detailed information on driving habits and car health.

automatic-reader-800x478.png
Unfortunately, Automatic has experienced some problems with the aforementioned iPhone app and as a result, it has decided to delay (via Engadget) the final release of the system until August to work out some of the kinks.
The good news is that the Link - that little device that plugs into your car - is ready and being manufactured! Unfortunately, we underestimated the time needed to complete the iPhone app and we're sorry to say that it won't be ready until the end of August.
As it is only the software that needs to be tweaked (the hardware is already in production), Automatic is offering its first preorder customers the opportunity to test a beta version of the system. Customers that opt-in to the beta will receive the dongle and the app in mid-June, but the company warns that the current version of the app lacks support for Crash Alert, multiple cars, and multiple users.

Customers who are eligible to participate in the early release of the Automatic Link should have already received an email from the company with details on how to proceed. Customers who ordered later or who order today can expect to receive the Link in August.

The Automatic Link retails for $69.95 and can be preordered from the Automatic website.

Article Link: Automatic Connected Car System Delayed Until August

jpmcnown

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2011
What is so special about this? OBD II adaptors for iPhone and other smartphones is nothing new.

Exactly, but this is magical and revolutionary. Until it's available, THIS will have to suffice.(and it works AWESOME btw)

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
What is so special about this? OBD II adaptors for iPhone and other smartphones is nothing new.

What's special is
#1 its cheaper than the others.
#2 the iPhone app is designed for regular people - ala my wife and kids.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
What's special is
#1 its cheaper than the others.
#2 the iPhone app is designed for regular people - ala my wife and kids.

Uh.... OBD 2 Bluetooth adapters can be had for $15 on eBay. Those are only compatible with Android though. But even the GoLink (iPhone compatible) adapters are only $40-50 online.

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
They need to hire more i OS programers .

The App . is not that hard to write . it may have been more a delay with the hardware not doing all it was spec to do so now they have to do more software coding to get the features they need .

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
The "check engine" light is a load of BS. The car knows exactly what's wrong with it but doesn't tell you!

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
I pre ordered one of these when they came out for pre order and was sent this email. I decided to opt into the bata.

I have to say I'm pretty annoyed about it, as they sent out an email even 2 weeks ago and said all was on time to ship this month. Not sure what happened in the past two weeks to push out shipping several weeks and not have a full workin app till August?

Oh well

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
"Automatic only supports drivers living in the U.S."

That sucks! I can understand 911 not being supported everywhere but the rest of the features should be compatible with cars in Canada. This seems like a great idea!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
"Your son has been in a car crash and help is on the way."

Nice way to freak out parents if it's some fender-bender that doesn't really hurt anyone. I'm hoping it's quite customizable.

Sounds like a good app. I have had my tire pressure light come on a bazillion times in the past. Considering the fact that I have four tires, it annoys me that it won't tell me which one. Same kind of thing with the engine temperature needle that sits between "C" and "H."

What I hope this is is basically like iStat Menus for your car. Tell me what my coolant temperature is. Tell me what my air pressure is. If a mechanic can hook it up to some computer running Windows 95, an iPhone ought to be able to tell you how thick the coat of paint is and what kind of gas you're using. This sounds like the ultimate "way past due" device, even though I know people are saying others exist.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Built for Amercia for those who need alarms in the car for seat belts, opened doors, car keys, lights left on and park brake. You are a bright lot in Amercia.:cool:

Not forgetting the police will use the information gathered against you if required.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Built for Amercia for those who need alarms in the car for seat belts, opened doors, car keys, lights left on and park brake. You are a bright lot in Amercia.:cool:

Not forgetting the police will use the information gathered against you if required.

Right. This coming from someone in a country who's big contribution to the world is popularizing jumping off cliffs secured only by a giant rubber band. :D

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Uh.... OBD 2 Bluetooth adapters can be had for $15 on eBay. Those are only compatible with Android though. But even the GoLink (iPhone compatible) adapters are only $40-50 online.

I think you've answered your own question in this thread as to why this is such a big deal. :D

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Right. This coming from someone in a country who's big contribution to the world is popularizing jumping off cliffs secured only by a giant rubber band. :D

And an unnaturally intimate relationship with sheep... :D

Seriously, who in their right mind would criticize notifications that warn people to buckle their seatbelt, remove their keys from the car and turn off their lights? Although most of the newer cars just automatically turn the lights off for you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.