Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I'm setting up a brand new Mac Mini for someone. How do I access iPhoto for this new person on this new Mini ? She has an Apple ID and an iCloud account.

How do I get the App Store to recognise that she should get a free copy of iPhoto etc as part of the new unit ? The App Store says that her Apple ID had no purchases.

Cheers.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
did you install from recovery drive ? there should be an additional installs there.

admittedly I haven't tried, it was associated to my Apple-ID

No, brand new = brand new, just arrived from Amazon with nothing on it.

I did find a temporary fix for this by copying across Apps from my setup on another Mac via AirDrop, but the problem still remains that she should be able to access her own copies of these Apps to go with her own copy of ML.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Upon first boot, you will go through setup. After setup, you can open Mac App Store and it will ask you to sign in and automatically add iLife apps to your account. If it arrived with a totally blank hard drive with no OS or anything, then it is not brand new, at least not factory brand new.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Upon first boot, you will go through setup. After setup, you can open Mac App Store and it will ask you to sign in and automatically add iLife apps to your account. If it arrived with a totally blank hard drive with no OS or anything, then it is not brand new, at least not factory brand new.

OK, how do I go through setup again ?
Do I have to register the unit in her name somewhere ?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
OK, how do I go through setup again ?
Do I have to register the unit in her name somewhere ?

AFAIK, the "initial" setup is a one time process. If you didn't assign that unit's copy/license of the iLife app suite to an Apple ID, you can't really go back and do it again. If you go to an Apple Store or speak with Apple Support, I'm sure they keep a record of whether or not that unit's copy of iLife app suite has been registered to an Apple ID or not. If the latter, I'm sure they will guide you through the process so you can download it from the Mac App Store under that Apple ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.