Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Sometimes I have multiple apps and browsers open at the same time. I want to be able to minimize all at the same time. Is that possible with an App or Key Combo on ML?

Thank you.:)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Close All windows in one App is done by the following command: Command-Option-W
Be aware that some Apps will close after doing this.
I am not aware of a keyboard shortcut to do this on multiple Apps at the same time, don't think there is an App which will do this.

Toby Ziegler

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Gallifrey
Five finger spread on the trackpad if you've got one. It doesn't really minimize them, but it shoots them out of the way so you have a clean desktop.

MartinJohnson

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Serbia, Europe
2 Key Combinations in a Row

First CMD-OPT-H (hide all others), then CMD-H (hide current). This is the closest I got without third party apps. An app that could do all this on one single hotkey click would be so useful. In Windows it's WIN-D (meaning show Desktop).

When I hit F11 (show desktop in MacOS), it moves all the windows to the sides, as if it were letting me snoop around on the desktop for a while, but only temporarily... all those windows are hanging by a thread over my head and are about to crash down on me again any second. This is not how I imagine the minimize-all operation. I wonder was it so difficult for Apple developers to implement minimize-all operation... or was it just being different from Bill at any cost.

I respect but disagree with hot corner solutions, as they require the use of mouse/trackpad, which slows down the interaction significantly. Speed is all about moving the arrow as little as possible.

bex303

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
Minimise all Apps at once

If you use the following:

Command+Option+H+M

This works perfectly or me.

Reactions: min5h

secretagent004

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2014
India
If you use the following:

Command+Option+H+M

This works perfectly or me.

^^

I Agree to this, I Tried this today as well on my Yosemite 10.10.1 (MBA Early 2014) and it works as said:

i.e.

1.) CMD+OPTION(ALT)+H will hide all the Windows EXCEPT the current/active window

2.) CMD+OPTION(ALT)+M will Minimise the current window,

So, combining CMD+OPTION(ALT)+H+M will bring you back to the Desktop (same as WINDOWS+D in Windows OS)

Also,

F11 (fn+F11) will show the desktop but the difference is that It will NOT HIDE the windows and hence pressing CMD+TAB will show back the windows.

Whereas, following CMD+TAB (after using CMD+OPTION(ALT)+H+M) will let you switch to the App (using CMD+TAB) but it wont open up (but, Stay hidden) till the time the ALT(OPTION) key is pressed before releasing the CMD Key.

Cheers n e-peace....

Reactions: min5h
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.