Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dkl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
its kinda difficult to explain....but i'll try anyway...

the screen starts to show gibberish at startup, and then the whole notebook seem to just hang. Brought it to an Apple authorised repair center and was advised not to bother with repairs as the repairs cost would almost amount to a new MBA.

What are my options here?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Arghh! My 2011 11" Macbook air died almost immediately after the warranty expired... Would anyone here knows what's going on with the notebook?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE3lJ49sEEk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZU6roPMwM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This screen from your video looks like a firmware update trying to install. Did you recently install a firmware update? Make sure you are in AC power and try again (FW updates need AC power).

The second vid with the jaggy screen is usually a failed GPU on the motherboard.

Can you get to recovery with a command-r boot?

uZ8Hh9k.png

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
its kinda difficult to explain....but i'll try anyway...

the screen starts to show gibberish at startup, and then the whole notebook seem to just hang. Brought it to an Apple authorised repair center and was advised not to bother with repairs as the repairs cost would almost amount to a new MBA.

What are my options here?

Probably Graphics problem, what happens if you startup while holding down the Shift key, this is a safe boot and will boot with the Apple Graphic drivers.
You could also run Apple hardware Test (AHT).

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
How out of warrenty are you? I would go to an actual apple store there usually helpful. If not call AppleCare.

dkl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
1. SMC Reset.
2. Reload OS.
3. Ooooops.

3. Ooooops.... :(

----------

How out of warrenty are you? I would go to an actual apple store there usually helpful. If not call AppleCare.

1 month.... went to an authorised apple repair centre.... they we asking for $100 just for diagnosis. Being somewhat farmiliar with computer hardware myself, I'm suspecting faulty RAM / GPU - either of which are soldered onto the logic board. So i asked the repair guy for a logic board replacement quote. it was humbly shocking to hear that the repair (including the $100 diagnostic fee) would cost me as much (if not slightly more) than a 2012 Apple refurb unit!! :eek:

I need the machine for work - and downtime is no fun. So I immediately ordered a refurb unit (while its still available on my local Apple Store) and the expected delivery is this Tue morning.

Sigh! So much for Apple quality on my first Macbook....

----------

got the infamous 3-beep and blanked screen when I tried to boot my MBA this morning.... further supporting to my suspicion of a bad RAM module...

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I suspect you would have had a better quote by going to the actual Apple Store. Often, they will quote a "flat rate repair" on a one time basis for a pretty reasonable fee.

My brother dropped his outside of warranty... and they charged him $250 total for "whatever was wrong"... before they even did diagnosis. After 3 attempts to get it right (including motherboard changes, display changes, etc... they finally gave him a new laptop. Quite the deal.

/Jim

tey112

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
How did you buy the macbook air? If you bought it with a credit card there is a good chance that it is covered for an extra year through them, in which case, make a claim and enjoy!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
1 month.... went to an authorised apple repair centre.... they we asking for $100 just for diagnosis. Being somewhat farmiliar with computer hardware myself, I'm suspecting faulty RAM / GPU - either of which are soldered onto the logic board. So i asked the repair guy for a logic board replacement quote. it was humbly shocking to hear that the repair (including the $100 diagnostic fee) would cost me as much (if not slightly more) than a 2012 Apple refurb unit!! :eek:

I need the machine for work - and downtime is no fun. So I immediately ordered a refurb unit (while its still available on my local Apple Store) and the expected delivery is this Tue morning.

Sigh! So much for Apple quality on my first Macbook....

----------

got the infamous 3-beep and blanked screen when I tried to boot my MBA this morning.... further supporting to my suspicion of a bad RAM module...

I would put a bit more work into this and be a bit more persuasive/aggressive with this, go back an "demand a repair, it is just ridiculous they won't repair this for you, yes it is out of warranty but just.
"Sadly" ;) for you you don't live in Europe where consumers have more right and where expensive stuff has longer "warranty by law.
Expensive gear like this should have a minimum warranty of 2 years, especially on Logic boards and Displays for instance.
If this does not work there are still repair shops which can repair the logic board for reasonable money.

dkl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
some good came out today! called up Apple Care and explained the situation. I didn't have to be aggressive - always believed in being nice to support people - not an easy job. The senior guy agreed that 1y1month was too early for a MBA RAM / GPU to fail, and agreed to give an "exception" and count this as warranty repair! Now, this is the Apple service I've come to know! Great job on here, Apple!! You've just earned yourself another fan!! ;)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
some good came out today! called up Apple Care and explained the situation. I didn't have to be aggressive - always believed in being nice to support people - not an easy job. The senior guy agreed that 1y1month was too early for a MBA RAM / GPU to fail, and agreed to give an "exception" and count this as warranty repair! Now, this is the Apple service I've come to know! Great job on here, Apple!! You've just earned yourself another fan!! ;)

:D Happy to hear, good on ya.

And I said "a bit aggressive":cool:;)

But, now you ordered the other one or you canceled it?

JohnH108

macrumors member
May 15, 2007
Liverpool UK
I live in the UK we are covered by the sales of goods act.

I just had my late 2008 MBP (purchased Jan 2009) repaired at an Apple Authorised dealer free of charge
(Thanks C&D) :)

It was absolutely dead.

First off I took it to the Apple Store in Liverpool they diagnosed a system-board fault & quoted £400 to replace the board :eek:

It took some persuading, a few emails & calls to Apple ( I reminded them of the Sales of goods act & their responsibilitys ) & they eventually agreed that a £1300 laptop should not fail within 4 years

Initially the system-board was replaced, the machine then at least powered up but there was no display, so the dealer contacted Apple & persuaded them to replace the display also. They agreed now all is OK.

A little bit of persistence saved me about £700 or so. :D

dkl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
:D Happy to hear, good on ya.

And I said "a bit aggressive":cool:;)

But, now you ordered the other one or you canceled it?

The new one's arriving tomorrow morning.... i'd probably be keeping the "new" one and pass the repaired one to my wife. Her laptop is due for replacement.... hah... so i guess it turns out well for everyone!

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
warranty

No matter what kind of mac computer you buy ALWAYS buy the Apple Care extended warranty. I did in 2009 and I am now on my third MacMini.
when I got the third unit...I bought AppleCare for that unit too.
Europe and the UK have consumer protection for their citizens in the US it is a distant memory...thanks to Republican opposition to any kind of consumer protection.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
No matter what kind of mac computer you buy ALWAYS buy the Apple Care extended warranty. I did in 2009 and I am now on my third MacMini.
when I got the third unit...I bought AppleCare for that unit too.
Europe and the UK have consumer protection for their citizens in the US it is a distant memory...thanks to Republican opposition to any kind of consumer protection.

:rolleyes:
could we keep the politics to the politics page please?

europeans also pay more taxes and those costs still get passed along to the consumer. you don't have a right to unbreakable tech - 1 year is perfectly reasonable in my opinion.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
:rolleyes:
could we keep the politics to the politics page please?

europeans also pay more taxes and those costs still get passed along to the consumer. you don't have a right to unbreakable tech - 1 year is perfectly reasonable in my opinion.

Agree with most except the one year warranty, tell that to the OP or to someone who just bought a $3000 rMBP and it breaks down (Logic board-screen) after just one year, you think that is fair.
It should be minimum 2 years on the more expensive ones, I know you can't expect this for a Mini but you sure should be for the $1700 and up.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

I did say call or visit apple. Personally I've never been able to fault them

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Agree with most except the one year warranty, tell that to the OP or to someone who just bought a $3000 rMBP and it breaks down (Logic board-screen) after just one year, you think that is fair.
It should be minimum 2 years on the more expensive ones, I know you can't expect this for a Mini but you sure should be for the $1700 and up.

Yeah, It should be on a scale such as one year per $1000. Just on electronic devices though. So 1 year <$1000, 2 year $1001-$1999 and so on.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Arghh! My 2011 11" Macbook air died almost immediately after the warranty expired... Would anyone here knows what's going on with the notebook?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE3lJ49sEEk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZU6roPMwM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Where do you live? Proper advice would depend very much on which country you are living in.

----------

It's not a matter of politics, it's a matter of price. Since Apple (or any other company) cannot just magically produce better products for the European market, better consumer protection laws mean higher cost mean higher prices. Which people then complain about in the UK :(

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

If that hadn't happened, I would have suggested asking if depot repair was an option. I know I've had flat rate quotes before on out of warranty repairs. That doesn't count if there are signs of damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.