Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Yep, both your calibrations are very similar. To my eyes they both look pretty "yellow," but that's just to my eyes. :) I'm sure I'd get used to it.

In any case, it's clear that these screens from the factory are pretty darn similar, otherwise you guys wouldn't have had such similar results, too..

May have to buy an i1 Display Pro...

Category 5

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
The purpose of profiling your display it to correct for variances in your specific specimen. Apple includes a generic display profile that should get each mac close to good enough. If you need better accuracy you need to profile YOUR display yourself with your own colorimeter or even better a spectrophotometer.

I used the Colormunki photo on mine and it was a huge improvement.

Leiser

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
Also here... so much improvement over the standard profile.

----------

Yep, both your calibrations are very similar. To my eyes they both look pretty "yellow," but that's just to my eyes. :) I'm sure I'd get used to it.

May have to buy an i1 Display Pro...

I am sure you will get used to the slightly warmer white. The human eye has a good white balancing function ;)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Also here... so much improvement over the standard profile.

----------

I am sure you will get used to the slightly warmer white. The human eye has a good white balancing function ;)

100% agreed. It's funny how people complain about yellow screens. It's usually only noticed when it's next to another screen that is less apparently yellow.

Leiser

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
100% agreed. It's funny how people complain about yellow screens. It's usually only noticed when it's next to another screen that is less apparently yellow.

As long as the yellow is uniform on the screen i also see no problem. My iMac (2012) has a yellow tint at the bottom as many have.
I profiled in the middle of the screen and compared the results with an ICC profile i created at the top. As the yellow tint decreases from bottom to top there is also a difference you can see in the picture. Probably that is also why the profile from shiny-blanket also differs from mine.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
As long as the yellow is uniform on the screen i also see no problem. My iMac (2012) has a yellow tint at the bottom as many have.
I profiled in the middle of the screen and compared the results with an ICC profile i created at the top. As the yellow tint decreases from bottom to top there is also a difference you can see in the picture. Probably that is also why the profile from shiny-blanket also differs from mine.

I'm sure that's true. But since I believe all 2012 iMacs tinge differently in their lower third of the display, it's unlikely you'll be able to get this exactly "right."

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I recommend that everyone who doesn't have a calibrator at least do the "advanced" calibration by hand. It's better than nothing and not bad if you are very very careful about the sliders. Squinting a little bit helps while adjusting the sliders.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I finally picked up an i1Display Pro, and my results mirror those of others with the device on their 2012, 27" iMac.

Feel free to try it and see how you feel.

D65, 120cdm/2 , - Note this is SEVEN brightness levels (7 bars) up from the lowest brightness to achieve 120cdm/2

ICC profile

bryan85

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Just got a new iMac and the color seemed way off. I calibrated with a Spyder4Express and it seems a lot better now!

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
Sorry for straying away. But I am curious about your color gamut result for the new iMac's display. I want to buy a wide-gamut display for photo editing, is the 2012 iMac good enough, or I should buy a full Adobe RGB one like Dell 2713H (not HM)? Any suggestion will be appreciated!

ssdaytona

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
thanks,

it looks good here.

I finally picked up an i1Display Pro, and my results mirror those of others with the device on their 2012, 27" iMac.

Feel free to try it and see how you feel.

D65, 120cdm/2 , - Note this is SEVEN brightness levels (7 bars) up from the lowest brightness to achieve 120cdm/2

ICC profile

e271

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
Guys,

Thanks so much for posting your profiles - I finally have much improved shadow details :)

Just using the Mac's own calibration facility (prefs > Displays > Color > Calibrate) I wasn't able to improve much. I suppose this is not surprising as, as far as I can tell, there is no way to alter the brightness setting, which is sort of strange. Altering gamma is one thing but isn't the brightness setting even more important?

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
The Pro works with LED backlighting. The D2 will shift to magenta thanks to the overwhelming green cast of LED and sensor not able to deal with it. The i1 D2 is NOT wide gamut or LED supported. People using it are just enjoying incorrect accuracy and I have seen way too many pink/purple display's out there with people thinking they are accurate. Sometimes your eyes are better than the SW result. Make sure you all are profiling in absolute darkness as well. The iMac glass will further corrupt the results with too much light in the room.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The Pro works with LED backlighting. The D2 will shift to magenta thanks to the overwhelming green cast of LED and sensor not able to deal with it. The i1 D2 is NOT wide gamut or LED supported. People using it are just enjoying incorrect accuracy and I have seen way too many pink/purple display's out there with people thinking they are accurate. Sometimes your eyes are better than the SW result. Make sure you all are profiling in absolute darkness as well. The iMac glass will further corrupt the results with too much light in the room.

Yep already established. :) But thanks, hehe.

The first post has an updated profile from the i1 Pro.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Sorry for straying away. But I am curious about your color gamut result for the new iMac's display. I want to buy a wide-gamut display for photo editing, is the 2012 iMac good enough, or I should buy a full Adobe RGB one like Dell 2713H (not HM)? Any suggestion will be appreciated!

iMac is white LED and not wide gamut. If I had to guess it would be like all the other W-LED display's. 95-100% sRGB and around 70-80% aRGB. Impossible to get anything more out of w-led. You need RGB-LED in expensive displays to get higher aRGB coverage. The Dell you mention is the absolute cheapest to offer this. The rest are NEC and Eizo $1000.00+. If you stay with CCFL you can get better coverage cheaper.

----------

I recommend that everyone who doesn't have a calibrator at least do the "advanced" calibration by hand. It's better than nothing and not bad if you are very very careful about the sliders. Squinting a little bit helps while adjusting the sliders.

Very easy to get out of control on the tints with that one. You'd do well to not touch any color handle. But then you are just as inaccurate as before you just alter the greyscale and gamma a bit. Tweaking yes, but not 'Calibrating' or 'Profiling'.

Pohaba

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2022
Ага уже установил. :) Но спасибо, хе-хе.

В первом посте есть обновленный профиль от i1 Pro.
Привет Уильям! У вас все еще есть ваш профиль icc? Пожалуйста, обновите ссылку.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.