Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
So iOS is going to look bland and boring. Awesome.

I can't stand skeuomorphic design - so 80s/90s. If you want a real notebook, use a paper one. It's a computer - and therefore the UI design should represent it's a computer not a "real-world" item.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you are feeling uplifted by skeumorphic interfaces, you need to enrichen your life.

I for one think that the best interface is no interface. I'm not here to mess around with turning App Store bookshelves or whatever. I'm not here to manipulate the operating system in the first place. I'm here to use its apps. The rest? The less of it, the better.

I don't think anyone looks at a skeumorphic interface and feels as though they're instantly uplifted. Some people love that style and I believe, based on iPhone sales alone, that many people have learned not to mind it. They may have even been impressed by it. I look forward to an overhaul, but I want the overhaul to function well. I don't want it to be a visual overhaul with problems that take months to remedy.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
As long as it runs buttery smooth then I'm happy. And if that requires a flat simple design I'm all for it.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
I can't stand skeuomorphic design - so 80s/90s. If you want a real notebook, use a paper one. It's a computer - and therefore the UI design should represent it's a computer not a "real-world" item.

Look at the iPhone number pad in the phone app, it's hideous and boring, the whole OS will look like this

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Just want it to be even more functional, I doubt they will allow me to do the things I really want to do either way. I am not that picky about its current design so they can surprise me.

patientzerobeat

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
Phew, I was beginning to think the skeuomorphism would get worse and worse and worse. I don't think the idea is to get rid of it completely, but just like a little bit of mustard on a burger can taste good, it doesn't follow that eating a bowl of mustard must therefore taste even better.

The idea is to get rid of it when it impedes the efficiency of the interface in any way. One of the worse examples I've ever seen, which happens not to be one Apple ever implemented as far as I know, was the idea that if you have a circular knob onscreen that controls a parameter, you have to follow the contour of the circle with the mouse just like a real round knob. The better way is to just have "mouse as slider", which is to just drag the mouse up/down to increment/decrement the parameter. It's just plain difficult to draw a circle with a mouse, compared to just moving it up/down. But the skeuomorphist purists loved it because it was more like reality, irrespective of it being harder to do.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
For the love of God, hire more damn engineers and stop being so greedy with your damn cash reserves.

So annoying.

So annoying are people who have zero project background who think adding people to a project automatically makes the project get done faster. :rolleyes:

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
...One of the worse examples I've ever seen, which happens not to be one Apple ever implemented as far as I know, was the idea that if you have a circular knob onscreen that controls a parameter, you have to follow the contour of the circle with the mouse just like a real round knob....
One of the earlier Quicktime Players had just such a control. If I remember correctly, it was quite widely criticised, and reverted to a slider in the next version.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
So iOS is going to look bland and boring. Awesome.

Yeah, I don't get this at all. I'm fairly experienced with all three OSes, and I like iOS' look the best by. In terms of interface I think Windows Phone has the best launcher, but that has nothing to do with a "flat" look nor non "skeuomorphic" look, and everything to do with live tiles, 3 tile sizes, the ability to pin people to it, etc.

I don't get how a "flat" single colored program supposedly looks "better" than what Apple does now where it has an actual design/look to it. I'd go so far as to say it's more than fluff, that it helps draw the eye to important features, and is just more "fun" to use.

Nope, it's gonna look like a real, innovative OS again.

How does making things look worse and boring and more difficult to make out make it look "real" or "innovative"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.