Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Avoid Facebook :p

Kidding, are you using the latest version of Chrome? What extensions do you have installed? Try quitting and restarting too.

My MacBook Pro 13" also has 8GB of RAM and Chrome is currently using only 19% CPU with two windows and more than 10 tabs opened right now. I also have several extensions installed.

khaledhawari

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
hi,

I had the same problem with the Google Renderer hitting 90% CPU, and it was affecting whenever i opened Facebook and even the google.com page!!

at first i thought it was the Adobe Flash and Shockwave plugin, so i re-installed, removed, disabled, you name it i tried it, but no luck.

I went through my plug-ins again and found a Facebook plugin called "Facebook Video Calling Plugin" , i disabled that and voila! all is working like a charm now.

I hope this can benefit someone out there.

ohmicide

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
hi,

I had the same problem with the Google Renderer hitting 90% CPU, and it was affecting whenever i opened Facebook and even the google.com page!!

at first i thought it was the Adobe Flash and Shockwave plugin, so i re-installed, removed, disabled, you name it i tried it, but no luck.

I went through my plug-ins again and found a Facebook plugin called "Facebook Video Calling Plugin" , i disabled that and voila! all is working like a charm now.

I hope this can benefit someone out there.

this solved my problem, thanks!

odd thing is that it only happens when using my discrete graphics card which had me thinking maybe it was going bad

pwbdecker

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2013
Thank you so much!

OMG khaledhawari! Thank you so much!

I have been trying to solve this problem for months, I often leave my MBP on unattended and will come back to find my facebook tab having ballooned up to 1gb of memory and 90% cpu, my fan going nuts. I'm on the latest version of OSX, Chrome, everything. What confused me even more is that I have a similar macbook at work and never have this issue so I couldn't figure out what the difference is, and it's an incredibly difficult problem to google for, but you solved it! Again, thank you so much, you have no idea how much this has been bothering me!

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
The same happens to me but I do not have this facebook plugin installed on my Chrome.

I'm tired of waking up in the morning and my MacBook is with the fan maxed out just because of this stupid "bug".

Anyone knows what else could be?

gubben

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2013
feedly extension

I had this same issue. I do not have the facebook video extension... rather, I had to disable the feedly.com extension that was taking a lot of processor time. That worked.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Avoid Facebook :p

Kidding, are you using the latest version of Chrome? What extensions do you have installed? Try quitting and restarting too.

My MacBook Pro 13" also has 8GB of RAM and Chrome is currently using only 19% CPU with two windows and more than 10 tabs opened right now. I also have several extensions installed.

Woah, Chrome is quite the CPU hog... I'm running Safari with two windows, 15 tabs open, plus Preview and Finder in the background, and only using 3% CPU on my iMac. It might just be because the iMac has a more powerful CPU, but that seems very excessive.

macca7174

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
I force quit Google Chrome Renderer, and a popup message says that Gmail Offline has encountered a problem. This immediately stops the high CPU usage, and the temperature of the laptop starts dropping within ten seconds.

Does anyone know a more permanent fix? I can't see a Gmail Offline app that I can disable.

Hylke

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
For me it was the Google offline as well. I stopped the Google Chrome Worker process that was taking 100% CPU and immediately got a message that Gmail Offline had experienced a problem.

Now my mac is nice and quiet again, so quiet!

@macca7174 To uninstall Gmail offline, just go to your apps page (scroll your startup screen to the right), right-click on Gmail Offline and choose Remove from Chrome. Maybe you also want to delete the cookies associated with that, it can take quite some disk space.
1. Type chrome://settings/cookies into your address bar and press enter
2. Search for mail.google.com
3. Hover over the search results and click the X that appears

lokety

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
I managed to bring down the CPU usage of the "Google Chrome Renderer" process using this method:

1. At Chrome, click "View Background Pages".
2. Sort by the CPU tab.
3. Note the tab that appears at the top.
4. Switch to that tab.

I found that perhaps after the tab is shown in the foreground, it completes loading/rendering and idles down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.