Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/62b7a94e-c15c-11e2-9767-00144feab7de.html#axzz2U4fD8I2S

I disagree. I think software (and services) is where Apple is lagging at the moment. Farhad Manjoo mentions shrinking margins. How does releasing a cheaper/mid-range phone increase margins? Part of the reason Apple's margins have shrunk (from an abnormal high) is because of how well the iPad mini and iPhone 4/4S are selling. Also why does he assume all Apple is doing is throwing a new coat of paint on iOS? Or that re-designing the UI is nothing more than a new coat of paint?

Last year most of Apple's releases were hardware focused (aside from maps). I think it makes sense to focus on software/services this year.

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
no! iOS also needs focus and currently iOS needs apple's focus more than ever, iOS doesn't even have many basic features, it has got all those same old apps and theme, android is doing everything it can to snatch apple's customers and that guy is telling that apple should focus on devices, wow.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
no! iOS also needs focus and currently iOS needs apple's focus more than ever, iOS doesn't even have many basic features, it has got all those same old apps and theme, android is doing everything it can to snatch apple's customers and that guy is telling that apple should focus on devices, wow.

agreed, although the idevices need more focus but you can't deny the fact that iOS needs apple's focus more than ever, if apple doesn't comes up with a great new version of iOS, apple's position is going to get worse.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Sounds like the article is more focused on short gains. Like OMG Samsung got a new phone, Apple must release another to counter! Apple been always on a longish term outlook.

tee-tz

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
I think the writer is overestimating the work, or rather 'paint job', going into iOS7. The new UI is not the only thing Apple is - or should be - doing. But it's a good part of their overall strategy.

In my opinion, what makes the iPhone so appealing is beautifully designed casing around intuitive and user-friendly software. It's difficult to quantify that experience per se, but it's suffice to say that experience is what generates the billions in sales. Therefore, if Apple is to keep their edge, then surely it must continue to invest in paint jobs that enhance the experience. It's as - if not more - important than the annual hardware redesigns.

The second part regarding margins is however true. Apple will need to look at where they can improve; but services are an area where additional revenue can be derived from. And it's only down to 'paint jobs' that Apple can differentiate their web services from the other host of competitors. So I think it's a necessary step, albeit not the only one, which will continue to make Apple competitive.

So basically, redesigning iOS is not the only thing Apple should be doing. But it's the least they should be doing.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
I've never heard anyone say that they were leaving the iPhone because they found a better working phone, or a nicer looking one at that. It's not the hardware. Is it always superior? No. The bar a higher now as more competition has entered into the game. That to me makes me feel confident that apple knows that they need to continue to do to be the best.

On the other hand, I have heard people leave their iphone for another phone because of software. There is room for improvement here from the second after a new OS will be announced. Our software needs are changing daily. What once was cool and needed, can be useless and old, and something fresh needs to be developed to fill that void. I think apple has neglected to stay on top of this in the last few years. I'm confident ios 7 will put writers like this to rest.

My device and hardware is beautiful. I need my operating system to make me feel that same thing again.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
The retina display is really sharp, and vibrant. The A6 is really fast. The battery life is good enough to last more than a day. And it's very thin and very, very light. I really can't ask for more from mobile hardware.

I find that the hardware is more than capable of delivering a good experience. They should focus on software. I like my iPhone, and the only thing lacking is iOS. If they give it a facelift and improve features, then I can comfortably say that the iPhone is easily the number one phone to buy.

But right now, I have to think twice because there are phones like the HTC One.
I sincerely hope that the rumours are true.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
I've never heard anyone say that they were leaving the iPhone because they found a better working phone, or a nicer looking one at that. It's not the hardware. Is it always superior? No. The bar a higher now as more competition has entered into the game. That to me makes me feel confident that apple knows that they need to continue to do to be the best.

On the other hand, I have heard people leave their iphone for another phone because of software. There is room for improvement here from the second after a new OS will be announced. Our software needs are changing daily. What once was cool and needed, can be useless and old, and something fresh needs to be developed to fill that void. I think apple has neglected to stay on top of this in the last few years. I'm confident ios 7 will put writers like this to rest.

My device and hardware is beautiful. I need my operating system to make me feel that same thing again.

True. People don't leave their iPhone because of the performance, or because they don't like the camera, or because it looks ugly. People do because the software is lacking.

I advise you not to listen to the journalists, as they tend to hop onto bandwagons and exaggerate things. They also post link-bait articles to try and attract more people, and thus give them more ad revenue.

For example, look at the iPhone 5. They gave it LTE and a bigger screen. The journalists shifted their approach from "iPhone lacks all of these features. Apple has stopped innovating" to "Apple is catching up. They have stopped innovating". They know that Apple attracts a lot of attention, so these will be perfect.

To prove my point, one of android 4.1's most touted feature was "project butter", which is supposed to cut down lag. People were frothing at those features. Imagine if it was Apple: we'd get the bullcrap that they are playing catch-up.

So, journalists will be journalists. Even if iOS 7 is amazing, all of the new features and new looks will be classified as "Apple is playing catch-up"; and all of the innovative features will be classified by most as "neat, but not useful". Just like reminders, do not disturb, and the others. So don't pay attention to that crap.

----------

Apple either need to focus on software or get out of software.

I don't want the iPhone to get android or windows phone. Yuck.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
agreed, although the idevices need more focus but you can't deny the fact that iOS needs apple's focus more than ever, if apple doesn't comes up with a great new version of iOS, apple's position is going to get worse.

yep, iOS needs apple's focus more than ever. they need to change it, refresh it, make it more user friendly. the 50% success of apple belongs to iOS, they should never forget this fact.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I cant read the article because I am not going to register for the site but if he is really saying they need to focus more on hardware than software right now his guy is a clown. Apple is regarded as having among the best hardware in all categories they compete in. This year is definitely a software centric year for Apple with the possibility of a completely new hardware category but otherwise more refined versions of their current products.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
This, the money is in the hardware. Consider the source!

Wrong. Software companies have much higher margins than hardware companies because hardware tends to get commoditized. If you see a hardware company making high margins, it's because they're really a software company in disguise. Apple is a good example of this. OSX and iOS sell commoditized hardware for more than other companies who sell Windows and Android can.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Wrong. Software companies have much higher margins than hardware companies because hardware tends to get commoditized. If you see a hardware company making high margins, it's because they're really a software company in disguise. Apple is a good example of this. OSX and iOS sell commoditized hardware for more than other companies who sell Windows and Android can.

Investors not caring about software was the point.
Apple sells hardware with their software on it.
You buy an iPhone/iPad/iPod, not a device with iOS on it, and Apple doesn't license their OS.
Google is the opposite, you don't buy a Google phone, you buy a phone with Google's OS, although that'll change with the acquisition of Motorola.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.