Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DawnM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
The refurbished Minis are on a great sale right now, the 64gb wifi version is $90 off original pricing. ($439)

My teen son has an ipod touch and he wants a larger screen and prefers the mini to the larger ipad. I have an ipad 2 so he knows what it looks like. We have an offer on the ipod touch so that may be sold by tomorrow.

I go back and forth with encouraging him to wait for the mini 2 and just getting the ipad mini as is.

Honestly, he plays games, might do some messaging and Face-timing with friends on rare occasions, and does some school work on it. I am not sure he needs the retina display.

Help me to help him decide.

Thank you!,

Dawn

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If he is okay with the iPad 2 screen, he'll be okay with the mini. If you wait for the mini 2, you will be waiting at least until late summer, and it could be late fall before the mini 2 ships. AND there's no guarantee that thhe mini 2 will be retina. I think for your son, a mini now will be a great upgrade. Oh, and check the Apple refurb store, I think they might have minis there for a better price.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The refurbished Minis are on a great sale right now, the 64gb wifi version is $90 off original pricing. ($439)

My teen son has an ipod touch and he wants a larger screen and prefers the mini to the larger ipad. I have an ipad 2 so he knows what it looks like. We have an offer on the ipod touch so that may be sold by tomorrow.

I go back and forth with encouraging him to wait for the mini 2 and just getting the ipad mini as is.

Honestly, he plays games, might do some messaging and Face-timing with friends on rare occasions, and does some school work on it. I am not sure he needs the retina display.

Help me to help him decide.

Thank you!,

Dawn

If he's fine with the current one then he's fine with it.heck if he's that bowled over when and if a better one comes out he can try to sell the current one for some of the money for the new one.

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
Just get the mini now,it will be a while before the new mini comes out.
You son wil be happy.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
The mini is a fantastic device for gaming. Being lightweight, you can play on it for hours. Also, the "low" resolution is only evident while reading only, the games graphics look crisp and sharp. If gaming is a priority, then it is a no brainer. You should get the mini.

DawnM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
He may do a little reading on it (Kindle App) but since we use the Kindle App on the ipad 2 without an issue I think it will be fine.

Thank you!

Dawn

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This is a good lesson in having patience vs living with your choices. If he decides not to wait he will have to live with his decision for a two years.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Buy it, try it. Money back guarantee.

I would not wait for a Mini 2 if you get a good deal especially since school will be out soon and he will have it for the summer. :)

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
That is a really good price for a mini with that much memory. When the new ones come out you would likely only get 32g for that price. Personally, I regret getting a 32g and would gladly have a first gen ipad mini with more memory than a second gen with less.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Elaborate please. He cannot sell it and buy the new one?

You can, but selling it immediatly for the Mini 2 does not teach a lesson. If her son chooses the Mini now and then lives with it for a while even after the shiny new Mini 2 is out then perhaps the next time a choice is to me made he will weigh the benefits of waiting a little longer for the better device. Similarly, she can have her son save up for the difference to upgrade to the Mini 2, but really its not my place to dictate parental techniques which is why I didn't get into it before.

Maybe the two years I mentioned is a little extreme, but I d think that Dawn should let her son stay with the the Mini they just ordered for at least a year.

DawnM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
I did not ask for parenting advice. I would appreciate you sticking to discussion of the ipad mini. I don't need to justify any parenting decisions with a message board member.

Dawn

You can, but selling it immediatly for the Mini 2 does not teach a lesson. If her son chooses the Mini now and then lives with it for a while even after the shiny new Mini 2 is out then perhaps the next time a choice is to me made he will weigh the benefits of waiting a little longer for the better device. Similarly, she can have her son save up for the difference to upgrade to the Mini 2, but really its not my place to dictate parental techniques which is why I didn't get into it before.

Maybe the two years I mentioned is a little extreme, but I d think that Dawn should let her son stay with the the Mini they just ordered for at least a year.

----------

ipad mini arrived yesterday. He is currently reading a book on it and making sure the resolution is ok for him. Since he used to read books on my ipad 2, I think it is fine. The only problem seems to be (in reading reviews from others) that if you need to magnify a text. We haven't needed to do that so far ever, so I think this will work well for him.

Dawn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.