Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naff47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2013
I just reinstalled my ML software on my MBP and for some strange reason no longer have the copy of iMovie which change installed with the laptop. Is it possible to download the free version again?

Thanks in advance.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You probably did a wipe and install, OS X can be upgraded without wiping the disk.
The only way to get it back for free is to install your former OS (X) version and than upgrade.

Naff47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2013
You're right I did wipe it. I had to because I had to reformat the drive. I just guessed the software would have installed from my disc. Shame it didn't. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be looking for an open source alternative.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You're right I did wipe it. I had to because I had to reformat the drive. I just guessed the software would have installed from my disc. Shame it didn't. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be looking for an open source alternative.

Maybe just maybe there is a chance, if you have a good internet connection download the latest iMovie Updater from Apple and try to install it, you were legally the owner of the former version which you could update to the latest one so I don't see anything illegal in it to do it this way.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1574

Naff47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2013
Good idea! Thanks mate I'll give that a go later. You may have just saved my girlfriends college work. Haha!

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
If your MBP came with Lion or Mountain Lion, you should find iMovie for free in the MacAppStore.

Otherwise, you should be able to install iMovie from your original install DVDs

Insert the MacOS Install Disc and double-click the "Install Bundled Software" icon. You should be able to customize the bundled software install to only install what you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.