Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
I am trying to encode some of my 3D rips to play in 3D on my Apple TV, but Handbrake is only encoding the image in 2D. I know the 3D is part of the MKV file, but I can't figure out how to encode it into a MP4. Ideas?

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I am trying to encode some of my 3D rips to play in 3D on my Apple TV, but Handbrake is only encoding the image in 2D. I know the 3D is part of the MKV file, but I can't figure out how to encode it into a MP4. Ideas?

To play 3D movies on an Apple TV requires you to convert the files into a SBS (Side By Side) or TTB (Top To Bottom) format which is then decoded by your TV to play. As far as I know, Handbrake does not support this functionality.

I personally do not have any experience in the field, but a google search on converting 3D blu rays to a SBS MKV should get you started. Once you have the SBS MKV made, you can then put that file into Handbrake to put it into an MP4 file.

To expand upon this, when you have a 3D blu ray, it is actually encoded into 2 separate videos, one for your left eye, and one for your right eye. The blu ray player will then decode them and play them alternately frame-by-frame (first showing right image, then left, then right, and so on). The ATV does not support this as it does not support 3D natively. Doing a SBS image has both the Right and Left image in one frame and then your 3DTV will do the work from there.

Sorry I cant be much help on this, but google SBS 3D and it will help you get started with all you need to know. Alternatively, hopefully someone here knows a lot more about the subject and can get you going. :D

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
To play 3D movies on an Apple TV requires you to convert the files into a SBS (Side By Side) or TTB (Top To Bottom) format which is then decoded by your TV to play. As far as I know, Handbrake does not support this functionality.

I personally do not have any experience in the field, but a google search on converting 3D blu rays to a SBS MKV should get you started. Once you have the SBS MKV made, you can then put that file into Handbrake to put it into an MP4 file.

To expand upon this, when you have a 3D blu ray, it is actually encoded into 2 separate videos, one for your left eye, and one for your right eye. The blu ray player will then decode them and play them alternately frame-by-frame (first showing right image, then left, then right, and so on). The ATV does not support this as it does not support 3D natively. Doing a SBS image has both the Right and Left image in one frame and then your 3DTV will do the work from there.

Sorry I cant be much help on this, but google SBS 3D and it will help you get started with all you need to know. Alternatively, hopefully someone here knows a lot more about the subject and can get you going. :D

3D Blu Rays actually only have one video, the regular 2d video. The left eye gets the regular 2D video. The right eye video is created from the left eye video by your Blu Ray player using data stored on the Blu Ray that tells the player the difference in views. A Blu Ray doesn't have enough capacity to store 2 separate video streams.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
3D Blu Rays actually only have one video, the regular 2d video. The left eye gets the regular 2D video. The right eye video is created from the left eye video by your Blu Ray player using data stored on the Blu Ray that tells the player the difference in views. A Blu Ray doesn't have enough capacity to store 2 separate video streams.

Not true. The bluray player can not just tell the player "the difference in views". These arn't 3d models in a computer being played. Its actually stored as a tall vertical 1080 x 2 resolution with the right eye view below the left and a tag that tells the player this a 3d video. Its called frame packing.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
Not true. The bluray player can not just tell the player "the difference in views". These arn't 3d models in a computer being played. Its actually stored as a tall vertical 1080 x 2 resolution with the right eye view below the left and a tag that tells the player this a 3d video. Its called frame packing.

Frame packing is not how it's stored. Frame packing is a description of how the video is streamed from the player to the TV. It is not a tall vertical 1080x2 resolution. It has two streams. A left eye stream called the base stream and a right eye stream called the dependent stream. The dependent stream is only approx 50% the file size of the base stream. This is because it references the base stream (i.e. it's dependent on it) to produce the offset stream for the right eye. This is why it's backwards compatible. Non-3D blue ray players just ignore (rather have no clue what do to with) the dependent stream and just output the base stream to your TV.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
That's not the way 3D blu-rays work.

to rephrase what jozeppy said,
in standard 2D video, each frame is not fully encoded, it takes a frame, and then builds subsequent frames off that one. since a lot of the time large parts of the image doen't change.
every so often it will make another full frame and start over.

In 3D, the 2D stream is encoded normally, then the "second eye" is built off of each frame, using the same encoding techniques.

----
to the OP
search "MVC to SBS"
support is very limited on computers right now. It's not the easiest process to do a conversion.
Most (if not all) of the things you will find will involve using windows at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.