Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
I think you'll find all of the carriers are allowed to offer it, they chose not to. EE have just launched it, but are refusing to offer it on T mobile for example.

Visual voice mail requires investment at the network level, Voda, 3, Orange, and T mobile refused to make the investment. Your statement is untrue.

I offered a question, not a statement.

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
Typical of the EU to carry out more meaningless & costly tasks - gotta keep the suits busy somehow!

Pathetic.

CeSinge

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2013
This i've noticed that also, you cannot use LTE with my operator since apple didnt "approve it" (because they're not selling iphones). How dumb is that, year 2013 and you need an "apple approved operator" so you can have LTE on your phone?:rolleyes:

In this sense, you are right: one reason Apple may restrict LTE/4G is to protect the local carriers with whom they have long term contracts. Here in Belgium, only one carrier has an embryo of LTE (there is not much real competition here, so they're not in a hurry to invest). But the sole carrier that distributes iPhones has no LTE yet, so blocking it disallows iPhone customers the benefit of choosing the other carrier that supports LTE. They can, of course, but not with the benefit of 4G.

The Commission is right to (finally) look into the musky business of iPhone distribution over here: many stores just a few weeks ago received enough iPhone 5 as to advertise them as in store/in stock... Why? iPhone stocks are controlled by the single carrier that also does their distribution. Not a honest business practice.

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
It's a bit late. Apple gave new life to the horrible German Deutsche Telekom, making them an expensive monopoly back in the days of the first Iphone. I unfortunately bought one and was ripped off very badly.

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Oh, sure! Because Apple NEVER does anything wrong to customers or clients. Any complain must be the product of a competitor's envy,and nothing else. Always.

[/s] :rolleyes:

In this case, I expect Someone's budget for judges and other officials has been greatly increased because, you know, that's innovation. Why would you put technologies like 4G in a device and then allow people to use them? I'm surprised they let some customers actually, you know, take photos or make calls.
Don't forget that 4G/LTE is a standard, and like all standards, everyone seems to have one.

Last edited:

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Apple has nothing to worry about

as long as is clean and clear :D

Sure. Nobody has ever been wrongly accused or convicted with manufactured "evidence", or were you being sarcastic? (I have no idea or care what the little green face you used as a full stop means)

----------

Microsoft, Google, Amazon, etc.

They've all been or are being investigated by authorities around the world including the EU.

Whatever the company or the industry sector if you have a dominant market share, the competition authorities have an obligation to make sure you don't abuse that position. In the end all they are trying to do is protect us the consumer.

If they've done nothing wrong then they've nothing to worry about.

Hang on a bit. Isn't Apple doomed and completely crushed by android? Haven't you seen the headlines? Now I'm really confused.

No, really.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
In this case, I expect Someone's budget for judges and other officials has been greatly increased because, you know, that's innovation. Why would you put technologies like 4G in a device and then allow people to use them? I'm surprised they let some customers actually, you know, take photos or make calls.
Don't forget that 4G/LTE is a standard, and like all standards, everyone seems to have one.

You missed the sarcasm tag

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.