Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Samsung is the leading Android OEM, yet they were not chosen to produce the Nexus line. This sorta pushed the development of Tizen forward it's Androids largest OEM telling Google they really don't need them. Now that Google has Moto mobility we have a nice little Mexican stand off.

Well, they developed Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and are the developers of the Nexus 10

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
But there are surely other operating systems that would have taken Androids place. The most obvious being Windows phone. And the lower prices is also a result of the technology maturing.

Tizen is interesting in that Google uses the Android trademark and it's market, and other services "as a club" to make sure OEMs do what they want (from the Open governance index). Modified versions of Android needs to be certified, meaning the access to services and the trademark is seen as something attractive to OEMs, the app market in particular I would say.

But I think other emerging platforms are more interesting. Why should OEMs that aren't interested in Google or google's services use Android at all? There is Ubuntu for mobiles and Firefox OS and the new OS from former Nokia crew, Sailfish.

I'm sure there could have been but they didn't and it's history.

My personal hope is Tizen goes forward that'll take sammy and their partner to that corner.

Nokia and MS get more cozy

Google continues it's relationship with HTC (if they survive) and continues to push moto out there.

and Timmy and Co. keep on with iOS.

FF OS will likely not take it's too late and doesn't have a niche.

I'd like to Canonical and Ubuntu score in both ARM and x86 tablets to take a bite out of both Apple and MS..

Jimmiray

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
Sad Face

Sadly they can can patent the ideas and do nothing with them for years or never. then when someone actually innovates you swoop in and sue their ass for your idea that was going no where. its crappy, but for better or worse Samsung, google and the gang seem to be the ones trying new things. Perhaps its the benefit of having several companies working on android rather than one.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Samsung is the leading Android OEM, yet they were not chosen to produce the Nexus line. This sorta pushed the development of Tizen forward it's Androids largest OEM telling Google they really don't need them. Now that Google has Moto mobility we have a nice little Mexican stand off.

What do you mean? Samsung has made the most nexus devices over any other maker.

Nexus S
Galaxy Nexus
GS4 Nexus edition
Samsung Nexus 10 tablet

Samsung has made 4 pure bread nexus devices

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
regarding spiffs - please keep in mind that Apple contracts carriers to sell a certain amount. In other words - if they don't - the carriers EAT the cost. So even though the salesmen might not get a spiff, the carrier are certainly going to make sure they aren't eating costs. So there's an incentive to sell iPhone JUST like there's an incentive to sell Android phones.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Google Now has been using Geofencing for year and a half now. Apple just introduced that in iOS 6

As a system wide API though. And Apple introduced Geofencing in iOS 5, not 6. Proving again that the "who did it first" stuff is a useless exercise because there are an infinite # of details that go along with any kind of implementation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.