Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kal101

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
1080p is not "full resolution" [...] it's just the maximum resolution they tend to sell online or via Blu-ray discs. Is that what you mean?
Well I'm obviously not talking about 35mm negatives....gosh :rolleyes:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Well I'm obviously not talking about 35mm negatives....gosh :rolleyes:

Well I just don't see the point, whatever the resolution. So you're saying people who want to will be limited to getting screenshots and clips of no more than 720p… how does that improve the lives of the movie studios at all? I realise it's probably not your personal decision (!), but if you've heard from them as you claim then perhaps you have more of an idea why on earth this makes sense to them?

kal101

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Why do you think they forced Apple to block screenshots with the DVD Player app.
Movie/Music industry decisions are not always very rational, or efficient (just think of DRM).

The goal of the 1080p thing is to make it "premium" content.

It's easer for the studios to get free 1080p movieclips (that people upload) off of Youtube and other sites - by claiming copyright infringement.

To "rip" parts of a movie and post those clips on the internet is clear copyright infringement and the studios hate it.
But currently it's practically impossible for them to differentiate between short clips that where directly taken out of a movie (via blu-ray for example) and clips that where cut out of trailers.

By stopping to make 1080p trailers available, it's easier for them to block unwanted ripped 1080p clips. Because all the cut-out-of-trailers stuff is gone and it only leaves "illegal" clips.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
To "rip" parts of a movie and post those clips on the internet is clear copyright infringement and the studios hate it.
What about fair use?
All you need to do is rip at 720p now and it's the same situation as 1080p according to that logic. You just enjoy it less. I have had enough of these wankers (studios). Especially now that we are getting 2880px display's. They keep driving people to piracy. I am flabbergasted that even after all these years they can't pay someone to sort out their online presence and ethics.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Why do you think they forced Apple to block screenshots with the DVD Player app.[….]

You're right, I'm just trying to think of a logical reasonable explanation when there is really is none, and the eternal obvious idiocy of the studios is staring me right in the face. Thank you for getting me to that point, I must have temporarily forgotten how utterly insane they are and you gave me the metaphoric slap I needed to bring me back to reality. :D

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Yes, but the point is if you want full resolution you have to pay. Cha-ching.

Well. Hollywood will then have content that looks worse than the indies. That's great for all their Michael Bay vehicles:rolleyes: All they have is how is looks. These are adverts, who cares? Wouldn't you want it to look as good as possible? Like radio stations that take real care in EQ'ing. I am not arguing with you at all just complaining in general. "From my cold dead hand will you take my precious HD". They do it to Netflix too giving customers fresh 4:3 240-288p rips of current films because you didn't give them enough through their own services. Maddening really.

macman34

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
Back in the days before youtube et al, apple trailers was the ONLY way to get quality movie trailers off the internet.
Also - Apple spends almost no time or money on this - they are provided by the movie studios so the amount of money spent is purely for the bandwidth costs and a designer (likely employed by the studio) to whip together a page and upload it.

For those of us who have used macs for more than five years, yeah, this is an item of interest. Its another sign of apple tightening the belts and squeezing out unprofitable ventures, like the "new" mac pro you are foolishly holding out hope for.

Ok man, I wasn't aware of that, despite my 7+ years on the ecosystem. :)

I am not holding out hope for anything from apple these days unless I see it first.;)

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
No explanation

Well as time has moved on, the 1080 trailers and download options are gone for new or updated movies.

Kind of stinks everything is inside the web page, doesn't play in the Quicktime player at all.

Looking at it from a forest for the trees perspective who would like it better that we don't "own"/possess pieces of the movies...bummer. Definitely guess this was the movie studios that would want something like this.

Going through and getting the last tastes of 1080 trailers (older ones) in quicktime while I still can.

Last edited:

cliffwootton

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2013
Crowborough, UK
Maybe its none of the above

I'm cautiously hopeful that this might be a precursor to rolling out HEVC coded videos. But I could be completely wrong. I have no concrete evidence other than watching what the video industry is doing and certainly no inside track on what Apple is working on. But, let me explain why I think this is a possibility. Then tell me I'm barking mad afterwards.

When AVC/H.264 came out, it was twice as good as the then MPEG-2 video we were used to on DVDs. AVC could cope very well with 1080p and made it feasible to roll out Blu-Ray players and downloadable HD trailers on the web. As encoders have gotten smarter, the bit rate has come down steadily just like MPEG-2 encoding did. HEVC is the next step which adds some new tricks to video coding. According to industry experts who spoke at NAB and IBC conferences over the last 12 months, its twice as good as AVC. Or to put it another way, half the file size for the same quality. It is designed and optimised for two important goals. Cope well with 4K and then 8K video frame sizes and deliver smaller frame sized video to mobiles in a very compact and fast (low bit-rate) fashion. And we expect HEVC to improve over time so that it might eventually accomplish the same quality as AVC (Blu-Ray) for a quarter of the current AVC bit rate given enough time for the encoders to mature. There are still more coding ideas beyond HEVC that have yet to be tried and proven.

Now, we have WWDC starting in a day or so and that's usually where we find stuff out about major seismic changes to OS X, iOS and QuickTime.

This is pure speculation, but what if one of the so far unmentioned changes that we might see is HEVC everywhere. Wouldn't that change the scenario for downloading 1080p on not so fast Internet connections?

But as I said - I could be completely wrong - and we only have a day or so to wait and see.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
I'm cautiously hopeful that this might be a precursor to rolling out HEVC coded videos. But I could be completely wrong. I have no concrete evidence other than watching what the video industry is doing and certainly no inside track on what Apple is working on. But, let me explain why I think this is a possibility......This is pure speculation, but what if one of the so far unmentioned changes that we might see is HEVC everywhere. Wouldn't that change the scenario for downloading 1080p on not so fast Internet connections?

But as I said - I could be completely wrong - and we only have a day or so to wait and see.

I hope you're right Cliff. On the other hand as Apple has updated the Codecs on Quicktime over the years they didn't remove downloadable or high res trailers prior to rollout of a new one. My feeling here is that this is being driven by the movie industry and they're gone - but I hope you're right, I've enjoyed this since Apple offered it.

Do want to mention for anyone who enjoys a good trailer, the "Take Flight" trailer for Pixar's Planes is quite a nice experience from a trailer perspective and I'd encourage anyone who loves trailers for what they are to grab the 1080p download version while they can (who knows when it'll get updated with a new file as the movie comes out in 2 months or so).

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/disney/disneysplanes/

One other point for those who had QT 7 Pro on the Mac, you can still install the QT 7 player on Lion and Mountain Lion (google it), if you have it open before you select a downloadable file from Apple Trailer site it'll grab the QT 7 player instead of QT 8 and QT 7 Pro player saves these big 1080p files significantly faster (wonder why?) to the hard drive compared to QT 8.

Last edited:

AtHomeWithTech

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Other Options?

Are there other websites where you can download movie trailers?
Apple can't be the only game in town...(?)

I've gone through my own withdrawal experience-

...and I've also been unable to replicate any of the tricks posted here to locate Apple's movie trailers to download.

It's already been a few weeks.
Is this really the end of the joy of downloadable movie trailers?

Last edited by a moderator:

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
...I've gone through my own withdrawal experience-

...and I've also been unable to replicate any of the tricks posted here to locate Apple's movie trailers to download.

It's already been a few weeks.
Is this really the end of the joy of downloadable movie trailers?

I'm right there with you. Google is our friend in this respect, looks like there is a nice site with 1080 trailers for new movies some in .mov some in .mp4 & probably other formats (so maybe this was just Apple tossing external - out of browser - quicktime in the bin):

http://www.hd-trailers.net/

So thankfully this hasn't been taken away from us yet.

As to the tricks posted here to locate Apple's movie trailers to download, you basically need a movie page that hasn't been updated since mid may (the Planes trailer is an example that still has the download options).

That said Apple is closing the show here...off to specific sites for this stuff now. :-(

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
We are slowly moving towards a world where we can't download anything for our own safe keeping. It's all stream, stream, stream, and the content producers want to retain all control.

Even now, many of the videos you DO download are DRM-encumbered. Look at movies and TV shows from iTunes. All DRMed. They're never really yours since your computer needs "permission" from Apple to play them.

Whenever an app comes out that allows people to download YouTube videos, YouTube tries to get it removed. Look what happened to Microsoft's YouTube client for Windows phone.

Soon we won't be allowed to keep local copies of anything anymore. It's terrible, and sadly the number of people who mind are in the minority so this will just keep happening.
Therefore I still prefer DVDs to Blurays or iTunes movie downloads. Yes they're low res, but I can just use VLC to rip them to my NAS for future viewing.

tzhu07

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
I don't mind having to play the videos within the browser, but the removal of 1080p is really bad.

I own a 2560x1440 display and I'd love to take advantage of it and view my videos in as high of a resolution as possible.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
I've noticed (and I might be/probably am late to this) that 1080p streaming options are now popping back up again such as:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/jupiterascending

JkRIStv.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.