Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jonathan_ive.jpg
While sitting down with AllThingsD's Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg at D11: All Things Digital, Apple CEO Tim Cook was asked about the new iOS and whether it was what Jony Ive was working on. Cook confirmed, noting that the change was part of Apple's executive shakeup last fall.
Yes. What we did last fall was change things up -- to really ramp up our innovation. The key in the post-PC era for having a great product is incredible hardware, incredible software, and incredible services, and to combine them so you can't tell what's what. The magic is at the intersection.
Cook went on to explain how Apple recognized that Ive had contributed significantly to the look and feel of Apple products over the years and that he could do the same for Apple's software as well. Swisher followed up by asking Cook about collaboration within Apple and whether that was why former Apple senior vice president Scott Forstall was ousted. Cook responded that the goal was simply to tighten the groups within Apple, which echoes his comments to Bloomberg in December.
I don't want to talk about people who aren't there. The whole concept is to tighten the groups even more, so we could spend more time finding magic at the intersection. Now it's seven months later, and I think it's been an incredible change. Craig is running iOS and OS X, which has been fantastic. Eddy is focused on services. It's been great.
Cook also confirmed that Apple is set to talk about the futures of both iOS and OS X at WWDC on June 10, which includes Ive's "more than skin deep" rumored redesign of iOS 7. Cook's full commentary can be found in our coverage, available here.

Article Link: Tim Cook at D11: Executive Change Up Has Been "Great", Revamped iOS/OS X to Be Unveiled at WWDC

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
This will be the greatest thing Apple can do. We really need a refreshed OS. I'm really excited for June 10. I hope Ive will deliver! :D

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I enjoy it when Tim Cook gives interviews. They're always insightful and interesting. Knowing the people on this site, however, I'm probably in the minority. :/

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
::screaming like a little school girl::

Revamped and iOS in the same sentence is everything I've been waiting to hear from Apple since iOS5. Don't disappoint us now.

I have confidence they won't!

This is exciting :apple:

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
And it'll be another 4 months before everyone can install it on their devices...

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Nice to see Apple finally give some information before an actual event. I believe too believe they need to feed some more information out about what they will be announcing to stop people from defecting to competitive devices.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
And it'll be another 4 months before everyone can install it on their devices...

But at least everyone will be able to install it. :)

I'm very much excited about the new iOS... I'm hoping the 2nd half of 2013 will be like Christmas eve several times over by the time we're done. Can't wait until the WWDC.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
The first thing I do is remove launch pad & mission control from my dock. I'm not really into the iOS-ization of OS X. I don't mind it as long as I can remove it, or customize the OS to how I want to use it.

As for iOS, we need more advanced options and control. The simple interface was nice, but it's not cutting it anymore. We need to be able to put widgets on a home screen. They also need to include something to see what apps are using data.

I'm afraid Apple is going to not do some of this. They'll add a few new features, but lock us down even more.

----------

Can we get a revamped FCPX as well... maybe call it FCP8?

FCPX is awesome. If you want FCP 8.0 use Premiere.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
The first thing I do is remove launch pad & mission control from my dock. I'm not really into the iOS-ization of OS X. I don't mind it as long as I can remove it, or customize the OS to how I want to use it.

As for iOS, we need more advanced options and control. The simple interface was nice, but it's not cutting it anymore. We need to be able to put widgets on a home screen. They also need to include something to see what apps are using data.

I'm afraid Apple is going to not do some of this. They'll add a few new features, but lock us down even more.

----------

I hope you read this part of Tim Cook's quote:

The key in the post-PC era for having a great product is incredible hardware, incredible software, and incredible services, and to combine them so you can't tell what's what.

I personally like and use both Launchpad and Mission Control but they are by no means perfect yet and I still think there is plenty of room for improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.