Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPrinterhelp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Hi - damsel in distress here and in need of help!

I've just purchased a new Samsung printer (model SCX3405W) and I am having major problems getting it to connect to my wireless network.

I have called Samsung and they are hopeless - so I am hoping that someone here can help!

I have managed to install the printer to the mac, and it will print when connected via a USB cable. I can not however work out how to connect it to my wireless network.

I have followed the instructions from Samsung but everytime I try, the computer tells me that it can not see any printers to connect to.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get this to work. Or do I need to just return the printer to Dixons?

Many thanks!!!

moovyphreak

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
I would recommend checking out the product page on Samsung's website.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCX-3405FW/XAA

I just dug around in the troubleshooting guides and found this information.

Configuring the wireless connection through USB:
http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber...ooting_fr.jsp?idx=374910&modelname=SCX-3405FW

There's also a couple of support articles here on configuring a printer's TCP/IP port in OSX and whether the printer can be connected via an AirPort.

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber...ooting_fr.jsp?idx=374859&modelname=SCX-3405FW

Finally, this is a business printer and Samsung has a different hotline for business printer support -- 1-866-SAM4BIZ.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Kallumama

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
I am having the same trouble with this printer...i can connect via USB to my mac and it prints, but it just does not connect via the WiFi...did you find any solution?

Thanks!

somedudeintdot

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I had the same issue and found this procedure works.

First, assuming you have completed the wireless setup for your printer, find your printers IP address (write it down during the wireless setup process or use Samsungs Easy Printer manager software with the USB cable connected to the printer and mac. Look for device network settings. If you are a little bit more adventurous, you can also look at your wifi router's administration menus for IP addresses of connected devices but that may be a little too cumbersome). Then follow these instructions from the Samsung support site

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber...1280239028!-637637899!1348109336320&from_osc=

------------/start samsumg instructions

SCX-3405FW Configuring A Printer's TCP/IP Port In OSX

If you have changed the IP address of your printer, you will need to update the printer's settings in OSX to reflect the new address:

Click the Apple symbol in the top left corner, then select System Preferences. The System Preferences window appears.
In the System Preferences window, look under Hardware and choose Print & Fax.
A list of printers will appear. Click the + sign to add your printer. If the printer is already listed, select it and click the - sign.
The Add Printer dialog will appear. Select the IP tab.
Enter the following information:
Protocol: Internet Printing Protocol (Line Printer Daemon will also work)
Address: Enter the IP address of the printer.
Queue: Leave blank unless you have configured a custom queue.
Name: Defaults to the IP address you entered above. Change this to something more descriptive.
Location: Where the printer is physically located. You can leave this blank.
Print Using: This should be automatically be set to the print driver you installed. If not, make sure you've downloaded and installed the latest printer driver from http://www.samsung.com. If you have already installed the driver but nothing is selected, you can also choose Select Printer Software and pick your model from the list.
Click Add.

Last edited:

somedudeintdot

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
One more suggestion...if the above steps do not work maybe the printer is not connected to the wireless network. You can test this by going to Applications -> Utilities -> Network Utility

Once the Network Utility tool opens, select Ping and enter the IP address of the printer. IF the printer and mac are both connected to the network you should see something like this:

-----------------------------
PING 192.168.0.102 (192.168.0.102): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.0.102: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=18.167 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.102: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=19.473 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.102: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=4.787 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.102: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=4.664 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.102: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=9.951 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.102: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=8.188 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.102: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=5.842 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.102: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=5.070 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.102: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=4.759 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.102: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=2.770 ms

--- 192.168.0.102 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 2.770/8.367/19.473/5.568 ms

-------------

If you get something different...it might be that the printer is not connected to the network and you need to resolve that issue first

somedudeintdot

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Setting up to Scan an image to a wirelessly connected mac was also a pain. But I found one way to do it by installing the latest drivers for the scanner from this site

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/SCX-3405FW/XAA-downloads

Once the driver package is installed, included in that package is an application called Scan Assistant. I found it under Applications -> Samsung - > Scan Assistant

When you first open up this application, it will look for connected devices. If the USB cable is not connected, select the change port option, and then select Network Connected Device. Here you can either enter the IP address of the printer or select auto detection on the network option. Once the printer is listed, select it, click ok. You should now be able to scan. You may need to configure the default folder to send your files to.

FunLaw

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Solution - Wireless connection for Samsung SCX-3405FW

:) OK, after 2 days of working on getting a wireless connection (the printer, scanner and fax work with USB), I was able to get the wireless to work. I am not a tech geek and this was purely trial and error but I hope this helps someone.

BTW - I didn't find Samsung's response (Configuring the wireless connection through USB:

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber...ooting_fr.jsp?idx=374910&modelname=SCX-3405FW)

helpful

- at the outset, this assumes you have the USB from the printer connected to your computer

1) Download the latest printer driver for OS X from Samsung
2) Install the printer driver
3) Go to your printer menu (on the printer) and go to the NETWORK menu
4) Select the TCP/IP
5) Change it to Static (instead of DHCP)
6) OK the IP address, subnet, gateway and DNS - don't change them
7) go back to the NETWORK menu and ensure the wireless is turned "on"
8) if you have a secured wireless router, input your network key
9) go to the NETWORK CONFIG menu and print your settings - you will need these to synch with your computer
10) Now, go to your computer and click on the apple symbol in the right corner
11) Go System Preferences
12) Open Printer and Fax
13) Unlock it so you can make changes
14) click on the Plus "+" sign to add a printer
15) Change protocol to IPP (internet printing protocol)
15) Enter the IP address from the network configuration you printed from the printer (the static IP address)
16) Go to the last part "print using" and select search
17) Type in Samsung SCS3405 and select that print driver
18) Add the printer
19) Open the Samsung Easy Print Manager and to the NETWORK tab
20) Make sure the TCP/IP portion stays "STATIC" and the IP address, subnet, gateway and DNS match up to the print out of the network configuration from your printer (this is why you printed it in step 9).
21) If it looks OK, then save the settings.
22) In the Easy Print Manager, you should see the IP address printer (if it shows up, then all is good so far)
22) The final test is disconnecting the printer cable from your computer - if the printer with the static IP address is still in the Easy Print Manager, then it was a success! :)

All of my functions work, wireless printing, scanning and fax to PC.

jor412

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Please help :(

:) OK, after 2 days of working on getting a wireless connection (the printer, scanner and fax work with USB), I was able to get the wireless to work. I am not a tech geek and this was purely trial and error but I hope this helps someone.

I wish I had seen this before now.

I have the 3405w. I tried assigning an IP using the setip applet included in the CD. After that, I restarted everything and now the Easy Software Manager doesn't show me the previous settings options it did. It shows the device and no information is available.

The 3405w doesn't have the menu that the 3405wf has so the only way to access the wifi direct and change settings is through the software. Also, through the software I was able to "enable" the wifi direct, but no matter what IP address I assign it doesn't work.

Any help would really be appreciated.

jor412

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
I rebooted my mac & printer and the printer and software are now working. I tried using IPP but it didn't work. Sorry, I'm really new at all of this and I'm quite confused by all the different ways people have gotten this to work.

My printer network settings looked like this:
DHCP

When I changed the above to STATIC, the software asked me for a gateway address. Should I have changed IP Address, subnet mask, and gateway to match my wifi router?

micros

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Solve wifi issues for the 3405FW printer

I was very happy with this printer at first, but the settings, drivers and management software are a complete nightmare. Recently I can't access the printer over WIFI nor USB anymore, and the Easy Printer Manager doesn't even see the printer.

However, I did manage to fix this for the SCX3405FW version, which has a front-panel intended for faxing. You can use this panel to configure wifi and that was actually easy. You access it by pressing the top of the circle button and then press left till you reach 4. Wireless.
There I set a manual IPv4 address which I knew to be valid (in my case 192.168.1.111) and set the router to 192.168.1.1, submask left as is. My network is a regular ADSL modem and an Airport Express.
Then I selected the correct wifi network and entered my password old-school sms style. It refreshed, it worked, and it showed up as a nearby printer in my print/scan preference pane.
Image Capture even recognizes and works with the scanner over WIFI now.
The "Easy" Printer Manager also sees the printer again, but I hardly dare touch that software as it is as buggy as the first Samsung phone software 10 years ago.

All of this (print/scan/set) worked before, but seems to fail as soon as something changes on your network, or the power to the printer was cut for a while.
Hope you can work this out too.

jor412

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
I got it to work by restarting the printer and following the other steps in the original post. But it was a PITA.

andylosttheplot

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Wireless printing with MAC on SCX3405W

I initially had similar problems to the above.

The printer did everything it was supposed to when connected by USB, just wouldn't play wirelessly. I knew the printer was connected to the network because my desktop windows PC connected happily wirelessly first time.

Eventually I discovered that everything had installed correctly but I hadn't noticed the drop down menu to use said printer wirelessly. For example, when using preview there was:

Option 1 - Samsung SCX3405W
Option 2 - Samsung SCX3405W (SEC0115............)

As soon as I went back to the Apple>System Preferences>Printers and set this as default I had no further issues.

Andrew

Kompass

Apr 25, 2013
Samsung SCX-3405W Wireless Connectivity

I know your post is old, but if you still have your SCX-3405W and need to connect wirelessly, let me know because I just did it myself today.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
In order for your printer to work wirelessly under OSX, it must be Airprint (OSX wifi feature) compatible.

I can't see it on the list of printers, but check your Samsung manual...If it doesn't say "AirPrint" then it's not compatible.

Here is Apple's list, but there are more printers that work from Epson, Lexmark and others.
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/campaigns/airprint

That's not correct. Airprint compatibilty only applies to iOS devices. I've used several wireless printers with OS X, including my current two, for ten years. None are or have been Airprint capable. In fact Airprint didn't even exist until a couple years ago.

bukefalos

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2013
I'm thinking about getting an SCX-3405W and I want to access it via my Time Capsule (AirPort Extreme) router. There seems to be some confusion about how to connect the printer to an AirPort Extreme LAN so please share your walkthroughs.

Thanks!

VelfarreClubber

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Fullerton, CA
^ Above comment really helped me to get started on day 1 with the new machine today. Thanks for the tip!!

Printing and scanning works like a breeze. Pretty darn good all in one machine for $99 (sale) :)

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Printing and scanning works like a breeze. Pretty darn good all in one machine for $99 (sale) :)

For the same price, you can have a Brother DCP7065DN which has drivers that actually worked since day 1, and it has an automatic feed.
71bLagrXSJL.jpg

...or an Epson Workforce WF-3520 which prints in color and has built-in faxing capabilities.
917DT76T3hL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

VelfarreClubber

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Fullerton, CA
^The Brother printer is a very close competitor however, it cost a few bucks more and I prefer the white color on the Samsung.

The Epson is a color inkjet, I decided to go with monochrome laser since I needed it for basic stuff like scanning and faxing. I had a hp color inkjet before this and once the ink clogged it would not let me use other functions! (so frustrating! :mad:)

I also have this beast I bought last year Samsung CLP-620ND (btw not a Samsung fanboy) It's a color laser printer with dual side printing. Getting it to work on my network was no where as easy as the HP all in one I previously had but it's a damn good printer after it's all setup.
CLP620NDXAA_CP-M2_1.jpg

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Getting it to work on my network was no where as easy as the HP all in one I previously had.

As far as the modern HP Photosmart and later printers go, all it takes is taking it out of the box, powering it on, installing the ink and pressing the WDS button on your router when prompted or entering the WiFi password.
AirPrint compatible printers (like the Epson above and HPs) don't need drivers at all, as Macs are AirPrint compatible, too.

Brother has also three compelling arguments for it's HL-3170CDW against the successor of your color laser:
51-mfF0%2BWeL._SL1000_.jpg

It supports AirPrint, features WiFi connectivity and it's $60 less.

Last edited:

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
Odd

i had this printer 2mins.

Connected it via WPS to my Netgear router. and my Mac found it straight away.

cant find the scan software anywhere on the Samsung site though.

hwarner

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Arggghh!

Hi there
Did the original poster on this thread work out how to connect the SCX3405 wirelessly?
As per other comments it does not have a display screen as other models do and it also does not have an ethernet cable port so I cannot find any way of identifying the printers IP address. I have worked through the set up to be able to enter the printer manually on to the network but without the IP address I don't know how.

Please please someone help!!
Thanks

Styledriver

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
How about using the Airprint Function on IOS?

Hi,

yday I installed my SCX 3405W and got successfully working on my local Wifi including one iMac and a MacBook.

But though Samsung claims it should come with that feature* plus that printer is included on that "Apple List" (see above) I really wonder why it wouldn´t work for my IOS devices (ie iPad and iPhione).

*) see: http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consum...nction-printers-faxes/SCX-3405W/XSS-featuresI some of the many Samsung supported pages

But... it doesn´t!

Anybody to have a clue?

Thanks! Kristian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.