Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
again, ive never found my iphone 5's screen to be "tiny". in fact, it's "bigger" than my 3.5" screen iphone, and much bigger than all my nokia feature phones. so to me it's large.

If subjective comparisons to what a person happens to have owned is the test, then to most people who own premium phones, it is tiny.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Those are 2 totally separate things.

Nintendo has not released an emulator.

You're misleading. I stated Apple locks down iOS, which they do. I also stated that I'd like an SNES like controller (some controllers exist, but they are not great, and the games aren't written with this in mind. I'd also love a Nintendo emulator (official), which I realize would probably never happen. That's why I said "my dream would be...".

Why did you mention the controller/emulator thing in a thread about Apple opening up APIs if it has nothing to do with that topic (since Apple doesn't prevent it)?

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
BluetoothManager. Just let developers use it in their apps, PLEASE!!! Making an app with Bluetooth connectivity is a nightmare if you want it to be admitted to the App Store instead of selling it on the street corner on a CD with its forbidden private APIs.

----------

The Escalade is a top of the line SUV. You can also get a 2-door RAV4. But that is far from what is being described.

But if you want a SmartCar sized vehicle, a subcompact, it will not be a top of the line vehicle. Nobody makes a miniature car in that category.

With phones it is different. The vast majority of the really great phones out there have full sized screens. But there are good phones with little screens too, like the various iPhones. I think that if Apple continues to insist on offering only phones with tiny screens, they will sell fewer total numbers than they did in the past, when the iPhone's screen was of an average size.

There might always be a market for good phones with tiny screens. But I doubt it will be a big market.

So the more models of Samsung phones that come out have big screens, the higher the average is, thus Apple will not sell as many phones with smaller screens? Just because Samsung makes a half phone half tablet means that Apple has to make their screens bigger to move into the average? Also, when the iPhone's screen was the average size, Apple was selling way, way fewer iPhones than they are now.

----------

Absolutely true, although I think Cook could have said it in a way that didn't sound like Apple was so keen on limiting consumers' choices. I can see there being millions of posts on the web about why Android is better than iOS because Apple wants to take away all of the user's choices. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some "Big Brother" references.

I don't mind Apple limiting my choices as a user. I'm glad that Safari sticks my downloads in a folder instead of nagging me about what I should do with them. If I could change my Mac OS X theme through System Prefs (which I already can with tweaks), I wouldn't anyway.

The annoying thing is Apple limiting my choices as a beginning developer. As I mentioned above, making an app that uses Bluetooth is really tough or impossible in some cases.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
The Escalade is a top of the line SUV. You can also get a 2-door RAV4. But that is far from what is being described.

But if you want a SmartCar sized vehicle, a subcompact, it will not be a top of the line vehicle. Nobody makes a miniature car in that category.

With phones it is different. The vast majority of the really great phones out there have full sized screens. But there are good phones with little screens too, like the various iPhones. I think that if Apple continues to insist on offering only phones with tiny screens, they will sell fewer total numbers than they did in the past, when the iPhone's screen was of an average size.

There might always be a market for good phones with tiny screens. But I doubt it will be a big market.

First of all, the iPhone screen is not tiny. It's normal sized. My point was that there are some of us who don't WANT a big honking phone screen, and the huge phone that comes with it. As I've said many times, I could get behind a slightly larger iPhone screen as long as it doesn't make the physical phone itself much larger. The one I have now is already pushing my tolerance for size. If they can alter the bezel and reconfigure the home button, etc., and make the screen larger without making the phone like one of those hideous phablets I'd be interested. But if they go after the Note form factor I'm gone.

Second, my analogy was intended to illustrate that getting a top of the line car does not require you to buy an Escalade. You can get many cars that are of higher quality in different sizes and configurations. In other words, quality can come in a larger package, but it doesn't have to be the larger package to be quality.

quandmeme

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
iMessage on android?

How about passport. iTunes is the perfect example. For iPods to grow, they had to work for non-Mac-only users. So I'm thinking of passport. It was my #1 feature for iOS 6 but have not opened passport in 6 months. If the protocol worked on Android it could move the mobile commerce towards that protocol and away from the split between NFC vs. scanned codes vs. bluetooth/wifi ac or whatever Apple is waiting for.

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Always a fine line, or maybe not so fine. The customer pays us to make choices on their behalf. But you'll see us open up more.

This is true for me. I'm fastly approaching age 40, and my life is so busy already I don't really have time to deal with setting up, re-configuring, personalizing, or customizing devices anymore.

I've been in the IT industry since 16, and I admit, when I look at Android phones, there is still a part of me that says, 'cool! I back that and make it do this... and that... etc' -- like I would do in my tweenies days. Part of me still long for it. Reality is, I don't have time for it. You can almost say, I'm too old for that.

I need to invest my money more intelligently and make sure I get better return on investment without less effort. That means buying products where companies spend R&D money to make my life easier and make these smaller decisions for me so I don't need to do it.

There is nothing wrong with spending the time to make these decisions. I have been doing that since I was younger and I learn a lot. But people like me are in a different part of their lives. I love IT and tinkering with tech toys, but I also have to worry about my 401k, retirement, my home, my stocks, my savings, supporting my family, taking care of my elderly parents who is older and older, and making sure my family has a bright future, and so on and so on, and so on...

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Wrong.

The phone and it's software is what determines whether you can block certain numbers from calling/texting you, not AT&T. Sure, you can call AT&T and set up a block list, but they charge you for that (surprise, surprise).

Doubt me? I'm sitting here with a HTC One that has the option of blocking numbers on it's stock firmware. My Note 2 doesn't have that ability out of the box, but I've also got the option of downloading any one of a hundred apps that will allow me to do it.

Yes but I think my carrier should be responsible for this... Not Apple. However I am unhappy that I cannot block iMessage contacts as it is very very annoying sometimes....

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Yes but I think my carrier should be responsible for this... Not Apple. However I am unhappy that I cannot block iMessage contacts as it is very very annoying sometimes....

Many carriers charge a fee to block numbers. This is why an on-phone solution is better. Though it's also probably why Apple doesn't implement such a feature. They have to work directly with those carriers.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Customers always pay product developers to make choices on their behalf. He did not convey a sense of superiority. He merely stated a fact of product development.
Yeah I don't get how that comment could be considered patronizing. Companies make product decisions on people's behalf all the time. Also this idea that consumers always want tons of choices is false. Often times too many choices just leave people confused. And I think a fair amount of consumers who bu Apple products trust that Apple will make good decisions on their behalf.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Yeah I don't get how that comment could be considered patronizing. Companies make product decisions on people's behalf all the time. Also this idea that consumers always want tons of choices is false. Often times too many choices just leave people confused. And I think a fair amount of consumers who bu Apple products trust that Apple will make good decisions on their behalf.

Yeah, it's not patronizing at all. It's just a fact. If anyone really believes that they have complete freedom of choice with android or some other os, they're in denial.

Every product you choose to buy, choices were made for you based on what the company thought you'd want. Just another example of people bringing out the pitchforks because someone at apple said it.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Interesting note on the topic of connectivity and intents between apps on the iPhone.

1) Open an image in Photos and hit Share, you are presented with built-in OS only functions.

2) Open an image that you've received by iMessage in Messages and hit Share, you are presented with the OS functions plus a list of any app that supports opening images.

It's an odd difference. I imagine we'll see much more of the second result in the future.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Interesting note on the topic of connectivity and intents between apps on the iPhone.

1) Open an image in Photos and hit Share, you are presented with built-in OS only functions.

2) Open an image that you've received by iMessage in Messages and hit Share, you are presented with the OS functions plus a list of any app that supports opening images.

It's an odd difference. I imagine we'll see much more of the second result in the future.

I imagine this is because the pictures stored in photos are already accessible from any app.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I imagine this is because the pictures stored in photos are already accessible from any app.

They are, but it's inconvenient. If I'm looking at an image I want to edit in another app, I've got to close photos, open the app, and scroll through my photos again to find it.

The share menu should be consistent system wide. It seems Apple let's developers hook in to certain places but not others.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008

I don't feel any different and I don't see how this warranted an harassing private message from you.

Bluetooth game controllers for iOS devices existed before, such as the iCade mobile.

Even before this was announced, Nintendo could have released a BT SNES controller with a SNES emulator bundled with hundreds of games on iOS without any problems from Apple. And that was my point.

If what you wanted is better "official" support for game controllers from Apple with guidelines that include pretty pictures of controllers, well you did not express that in any of your posts.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
You're being overly sensitive. It's not that big of a deal. I just saw the news story and remembered our conversation.

I said none of the controllers were good, and nobody is developing anything that uses them. The Made For iOS is exactly what is needed. This will create some official controllers that developers can actually build around. There's currently no API to use, so you don't want to waste time programming around 1 controller. With the API, you can code it to Apple's specs, and it will work with all controllers.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
You're being overly sensitive. It's not that big of a deal. I just saw the news story and remembered our conversation.

I said none of the controllers were good, and nobody is developing anything that uses them. The Made For iOS is exactly what is needed. This will create some official controllers that developers can actually build around. There's currently no API to use, so you don't want to waste time programming around 1 controller. With the API, you can code it to Apple's specs, and it will work with all controllers.

The misunderstanding came from the fact that I focused on your specific demand (BT SNES controller with Nintendo emulator) while you were really talking in broad terms.

Maybe it's because I could only imagine myself needing a real controller to play Nintendo games on my iPad, not thinking about other iOS games.

But yeah of course it's a good thing that it gets standardized through Apple and eventually becomes compatible with thousands of iOS games.

And considering that I'm an iOS dev with a penchant for platform games, this is indeed great news to me. :)

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
The misunderstanding came from the fact that I focused on your specific demand (BT SNES controller with Nintendo emulator) while you were really talking in broad terms.

Maybe it's because I could only imagine myself needing a real controller to play Nintendo games on my iPad, not thinking about other iOS games.

But yeah of course it's a good thing that it gets standardized through Apple and eventually becomes compatible with thousands of iOS games.

And considering that I'm an iOS dev with a penchant for platform games, this is indeed great news to me. :)

I just like the style of that controller. It's just a basic controller really. I like the old school games. No reason to make a crazy x-box controller for iPad games. But whatever I'll take what I can get. Touch screen is fine for stuff like Final Fantasy, but I can't play any sports games with it. Maybe it's just me though.

Xytal

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
How about...the fact jailbreaking doesn't do this to you?

Have you ever tried an open version of iOS, or do you just like propaganda?

Being a Computer Science Graduate Student, I dislike jailbreaking as I know the vulnerabilities it opens your phone up to (not including the vulnerabilities you have to use to jailbreak in the first place). If I really wanted something that open, I'd get a Nexus 4.

I understand some people like jailbreaking, and hell, I even fiddled with it once on my 3GS. It's just not my cup of tea. My phone works, does what I want when I want, and I'm happy with that.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Being a Computer Science Graduate Student, I dislike jailbreaking as I know the vulnerabilities it opens your phone up to (not including the vulnerabilities you have to use to jailbreak in the first place). If I really wanted something that open, I'd get a Nexus 4.

I understand some people like jailbreaking, and hell, I even fiddled with it once on my 3GS. It's just not my cup of tea. My phone works, does what I want when I want, and I'm happy with that.

Actually, Jailbreaking doesn't open any vulnerabilities on your phone but tends to close ones Apple misses. I trust the Cydia and jailbreaking teams to patch iOS quicker than Apple and I would add, if you don't like jailbreaking, just don't do it, but I don't think it should be restricted away for everyone just because you agree with the current Apple line.

If Apple makes jailbreaking impossible, I'm done with iOS. Period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.