Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
It's obvious that the UI will be updated with a more modern look. I'm sure we're going to see redesigned nobs and switches etc. Less gradients, more solid colors, less glassy, no pinstripes, no linen. :)

"Jony [Ive, senior vice president of industrial design], who I think has the best taste of anyone in the world and the best design skills, now has responsibility for the human interface. I mean, look at our products. (Cook reaches for his iPhone.) The face of this is the software, right? And the face of this iPad is the software. So it’s saying, Jony has done a remarkable job leading our hardware design, so let’s also have Jony responsible for the software and the look and feel of the software, not the underlying architecture and so forth, but the look and feel…. I don’t think there’s anybody in the world that has a better taste than he does. So I think he’s very special. He’s an original… I love Jony. He’s an incredible guy, and I have a massive amount of respect for him." –Tim Cook​

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
iOS 7 doesn't need to be a revamp because it works. Apple just sold 2 million phones over the weekend. They are clearly doing something right. That being said there's room for polish.

Defaults-

I realize that default Mapping and Browser choices aren't coming but i'd like to see that second level because user selectable. If I hit a twitter link I want it to be passed to Tweetbot. If I hit a LinkedIn profile I want it opening up in the LinkedIn app.

Open With -

Please let me prioritize my chosen applications so that my favorite apps get top billing. This is like Defaults but in this case I do want to have multiple options in the Open With panel and those options should be defined by user choice or frequency of use.

Visual Notification-Live icons -
It's time to usher in the ability to have some apps change their icon color or animate their icon as a form of notification or "heat map" like functionality. My calendar icon should show the current day and if I chose, a heat map of how busy my day is (e.g a very busy day shows a red icon). I'm tired of numbered badges.

More Panels -

Panels are a great way to quickly access features. Note that if you send yourself an email with a link to an Apple Store app a Store Panel pops up with that app ready to purchase or download. No context switch needed. iOS 7 should have an expanded reach on these features so that data from other stores and even apps can be presented in a familiar panel.

Accounts Framework -

Loving the ease of use that I have with Twitter and Facebook authentication through iOS 6 frameworks. In fact I get pissed off when developers use the old method of making me sign in through a web view. iOS 7 needs to expand this to more services...many more.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Just give me the ability to choose default apps, even for the camera on the lock screen and the "open in" feature and I'm good.

On the iPad, multi user accounts is a must. I guess Apple expects everyone in the houeshold to have their own $500 iPads.:eek:

Apple frankly, is becoming too much of a walled garden.

iTunes should be on Android, seriously.

Lucikly Google is being smart by making it so a link in Gmail app opens in my Safari app. Or a map link in Safari opens in my Google Maps app.

Google is building a system within iOS's on garden. Brilliant move.

Apple really needs to open up an COLLABORATE with people that do services better than do (because they can't do it all, it's clear now). Google and Dropbox come to mind.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
This might sound like troll speak, but I personally think iOS 8 is going to be the major revamp. I think iOS 7 will see some slick minimalisation of the cheesy stuff that has been growing on iOS, but that will only really be a high level change. It might signal a new design approach for apple, but a change in how we use the device will come a little later.

Consider the fact that OS X 10.9 (presumably coming next year) will be the last version of OS X and since the introduction of OS X there has been a paradigm shift in the way people use computing devices. Mobile and specifically touch devices are proving that they can replace 90% of what consumers use computers for (the needs of content creators in the business and creative fields is a different discussion altogether)

Dare I say that Windows 8 has taken some brave steps toward Apples much vaunted "post PC" era, but in typical Microsoft fashion they're fumbling it. High software price for an upgrade, a botched tablet launch and this glaring disconnect between metro and the traditional desktop make it an uncomfortable attempt to capture two audiences while satisfying neither. Which is a shame because if they can convince devs to write apps in Metro they could have an incredibly powerful force against google and apple.

So while we have this somewhat vague integration between iOS and OSX, (apps that sync with each other and such) it's really reactionary to the rise of iOS rather than it being an experience created to suit this change in platform and usage. While I have no idea how they can solve this, it feel like the integration between your Mac and iOS experience could be seamless, if only someone figured it out properly.

And so with OS XI on the horizon in perhaps 2014, I think we'll see a major shift in how both iOS and Mac OS work, to the point that one day the experices will be the same. I get the feeling this will require a painful change for the average desktop user and desktop devs, but that the fundamentals of content creation will still be present. If anything it's easy to change the desktop experience with apple pushing 'full screen' app experiences, which really just leaves the big issue of file handling and input methods.

A rather off topic ramble, but just my two cents.

vicky07

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
It needs a major revamp...as they are polishing things from so long but i am not very sure whether they will revamp it or not?
Let's just hope they revamp it and not polish this time

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
iOS 7 doesn't need to be a revamp because it works. Apple just sold 2 million phones over the weekend. They are clearly doing something right. That being said there's room for polish.

Defaults-

I realize that default Mapping and Browser choices aren't coming but i'd like to see that second level because user selectable. If I hit a twitter link I want it to be passed to Tweetbot. If I hit a LinkedIn profile I want it opening up in the LinkedIn app.

Open With -

Please let me prioritize my chosen applications so that my favorite apps get top billing. This is like Defaults but in this case I do want to have multiple options in the Open With panel and those options should be defined by user choice or frequency of use.

Visual Notification-Live icons -
It's time to usher in the ability to have some apps change their icon color or animate their icon as a form of notification or "heat map" like functionality. My calendar icon should show the current day and if I chose, a heat map of how busy my day is (e.g a very busy day shows a red icon). I'm tired of numbered badges.

More Panels -

Panels are a great way to quickly access features. Note that if you send yourself an email with a link to an Apple Store app a Store Panel pops up with that app ready to purchase or download. No context switch needed. iOS 7 should have an expanded reach on these features so that data from other stores and even apps can be presented in a familiar panel.

Accounts Framework -

Loving the ease of use that I have with Twitter and Facebook authentication through iOS 6 frameworks. In fact I get pissed off when developers use the old method of making me sign in through a web view. iOS 7 needs to expand this to more services...many more.

Defaults: It's not a Mac

Open with: It's not a Mac

Live icons: With you on this one

More panels: What are panels?

Accounts framework: It's not Android

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I like the look of iTunes 11.

I certainly wouldn't mind if Apple cleaned up all the native apps and got a uniform, iTunes 11-ish look

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
A question I have is... does Jony Ive cringe every time he picks up his iPad or iPhone? If he hates skeumorphism so much then I can imagine its quite a horrifying experience for him to use some of the apps. :)

fhaneef

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I wouldn't call that Apple logic, but rather common sense. I don't think the majority of iPhone users actually care about the looks but more about whether things work and they tend to on iOS. So, really, why change something? Just because a bunch of geeks (I'd even include myself here) complain about how boring the OS looks, Apple won't change a thing. An OS simply isn't supposed to entertain people, and we should understand that.

Try telling that to Blackberry users! They didnt realise until too late

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
i don't think they would take the risk of releasing all the features in just one version and the time period is also quite short to add these many features, i think half of the features would be released with iOS7 and the other half would be introduced in iOS8.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
iOS7 needs something like an overlay that displays your most important data without having to open the app first and the old grid view one level down but i guess that would be too similar to android so apple come up with sth great and new again ;)

yes god forbid u have choices right? im so sick of stupid safari opening when i click on a link. i want the option to pick chrome as my default browser. rip cydia i miss u

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Live icons: With you on this one

More panels: What are panels?

Accounts framework: It's not Android

So your retort to changes is that it isn't something else? Congratulations, you're right. This isn't a Mac and it isn't Android. But that doesn't mean that it has to do something different from them for the sake of doing something different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.