Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotVeryClever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2013
I have some files that can be found by name and by content using Finder's command-F that I believe used to be associated with the adblockplus Firefox extension (AKA formerly system files in the Library folder).

These files do not have a file path, and I cannot open the enclosing folder etc. I don't actually care about using these files, I just want to delete them. However I cannot drag them to trash, nor can I delete them using command-delete. I cannot drag them into Terminal to find the file path or delete from within Terminal.

Does anyone have a suggestion for deleting these files?

OS X 10.8.1; screenshot is included.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 7.25.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 7.25.31 PM.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 205

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
.ini files are Windows files, and have no effect on OS X. Try restarting your computer, then check to see if the files remain. It may be that they have already been deleted.

NotVeryClever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2013
.ini files are Windows files, and have no effect on OS X. Try restarting your computer, then check to see if the files remain. It may be that they have already been deleted.

The file remains on restart. Perhaps it will go away with time, but it is not very satisfying that I cannot delete it. It is also confusing to me that the file and its content still remain and are searchable but it does not have a path...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The file remains on restart. Perhaps it will go away with time, but it is not very satisfying that I cannot delete it. It is also confusing to me that the file and its content still remain and are searchable but it does not have a path...
What shows up in the Finder Status Bar or Path Bar if you click on one of those files?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I have had a similar problem and PathFinder helped me solve it. Here is the thread with the solution. Hopefully it helps.

And man, using a Windows based PC is horrible now. If it would be at least Windws 5.0 or 5.1, but no, it is 6.0.

NotVeryClever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2013
What shows up in the Finder Status Bar or Path Bar if you click on one of those files?

I don't think it is letting me show the Path Bar? I am not sure I am doing what you suggested, but I have a screenshot.

Ah! but there is learning - if I open the file I get an error -- The alias "patterns.ini" can't be opened because the original item can't be found.

Delete alias just brings the same window up again. If I select "Fix Alias", set it to a random text file, I get another error. "The operation can't be completed." Error code -43

[edit -- added image]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 8.02.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 8.02.43 PM.png
    570.3 KB · Views: 135

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't think it is letting me show the Path Bar? I am not sure I am doing what you suggested, but I have a screenshot.

Ah! but there is learning - if I open the file I get an error -- The alias "patterns.ini" can't be opened because the original item can't be found.
Yep, it looks like the item has been deleted. Try reindexing your drive, using the instructions in my last post.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
If you drag the file into terminal from finder does it give you a path?

NotVeryClever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2013
If you drag the file into terminal from finder does it give you a path?

Finder will not let me drag the files! I can click on them and highlight them to get info, etc, but cannot drag them.

Still haven't tried other suggestions, looks hopeful though! And thanks to all for the help as well -- Will update but seems wise for me to finish my work and save everything first, will be a couple hours.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
.ini files are Windows files, and have no effect on OS X.
This is not true. There are several apps for Mac which write data into .ini files. (Yes, developers probably shouldn't be doing this, but they do.)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This is not true. There are several apps for Mac which write data into .ini files. (Yes, developers probably shouldn't be doing this, but they do.)
A 3rd party app writing data into an .ini file is quite different from such a file affecting OS X.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Nonetheless, your advice made it sound as if deleting them will have no effect.
Actually, I was implying that leaving them will have no effect, but either is true. Whether they're deleted or not will have zero effect on OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.