Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

camino_logo.jpg
Longtime Mac users are likely to be familiar with Camino, a Mac-specific browser based on Mozilla's Gecko engine, the same engine used in Netscape 6/7, Firefox, and other browsers. Officially launched in February 2002, Camino took advantage of Cocoa APIs and Apple's Aqua user interface elements and also integrated with several other Mac OS X features.

The open source browser continued under development for roughly a decade, although it was never able to achieve significant market share given its relatively low profile and Mac-only availability. In 2011, project contributors announced plans to shift Camino to the WebKit engine used by Safari, Chrome, and other current browsers, but the effort never took hold.

Camino was last updated in March 2012, and today the project's website has been updated with a message announcing that development has ceased.
After a decade-long run, Camino is no longer being developed, and we encourage all users to upgrade to a more modern browser. Camino is increasingly lagging behind the fast pace of changes on the web, and more importantly it is not receiving security updates, making it increasingly unsafe to use.
The message goes on to tout the contributions of Camino to the browsing experience, noting that former Camino developers had gone on help build Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, all of which have experienced significant popularity on the Mac platform.

Article Link: Camino Browser for Mac Officially Discontinued

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Sad, but understandable.

It was my browser of choice when I first got a Mac in 2006, until Firefox was native Cocoa, but now a Chrome user.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I find it hard to believe people were actually still using this in 2013. Too many better options.

I think there may be 4 people out there upset by this

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I find it hard to believe people were actually still using this in 2013. Too many better options.

I think there may be 4 people out there upset by this

Out of that 4, 3 are developers of the product and the other one lives in his moms basement while in his 40s. :D

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
RIP

You were a good browser in your day. With the exception of how the tabs are designed (wished they look more like Safari) I loved the UI.

At least we still have OmniWeb

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I was a dedicated Camino user back when it was (almost unarguably) the best option on the Mac, so it's a bit sad to see it go this way.

Out of that 4, 3 are developers of the product and the other one lives in his moms basement while in his 40s. :D
No, actually, my wife still uses it alongside Safari and Firefox for a few sites (going to have to force her to give it up, which I'd been meaning to do for a while), as does at least definitely-not-living-in-his-mom's-basement engineer at work.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Yeah, I haven't used it in years, but it was my go-to browser for a long time, back in the day. At least it leaves us at a time when we have lots of good options.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Yeah, I haven't used it in years, but it was my go-to browser for a long time, back in the day.

Yeah, back in the day...:cool: It was my primary browser back when computers when I had 26.6Kbps and a 100Mhz Power Computing machine. It was twice as fast as any other browser I could find at the time.

I switched to Firefox several years later, after getting a G4 and DSL.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
switch to mac in 2005, very aware with camino. but i've used firefox right away and now chrome.

but to be honest, i'm a bit surprise they lasted this long. so cheers to camino.

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Back When It Was Navigator...

Got on board when it was called "Navigator". The OS X browser decision process for me was as follows:

1) IE comes preinstalled - but it's a half a**ed preview... next
2) HEY this Ominweb thing does well - but I have to pay... next
3) Alrighty, this mozilla thing is tolerable - but I like the built in OS X mail and so it's too big and sluggish... next
4) Navigator... fast and free... nice

The it got called Chimera which spawned Phoenix on the windows side.

Chimera then became Camino and all was well on the Mac

Phoenix became Firebird and then Firefox and all was well on Windows

Needless to say, I'm sad these two browsers have had their run (judging both by market share). I'm really looking forward to what comes out of mozilla next though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.