Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
There are many reasons why stocking the Mac pro as a retailer make for a poor choice and I think it is more about that than them being unable to get hold of it.

It's old technology, it's getting replaced, the sales numbers are tiny, it's maybe 5% profit on a $2000+ investment because of Apple's wholesale pricing, Amazon's ability to lower prices and the cost to ship it for free eats in to the small margins. Apple's refurbished pricing under cuts what they can offer too. It's just an awful product to hold in inventory.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
There are many reasons why stocking the Mac pro as a retailer make for a poor choice and I think it is more about that than them being unable to get hold of it.

What's interesting about this is many of the retailers who market to pros (and therefore would keep this machine in stock) are out of stock.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
Well, we'll know in a few days if WWDC is it .. or not. One obvious side benefit would be an end to "will there be a new Mac Pro ?" threads. Probably to be replaced by "this is not good enough" threads.

Last edited:

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
Well, we'll know in a few days if WWDC is it .. or not. One obvious benefit side benefit would be an end to "will there be a new Mac Pro ?" threads. Probably to be replaced by "this is not good enough" threads.

Indubitably

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Well, we'll know in a few days if WWDC is it .. or not. One obvious side benefit would be an end to "will there be a new Mac Pro ?" threads. Probably to be replaced by "this is not good enough" threads.

Yeah... Whatever happens there will still be complaining.

It's like trying to take a group of vegans and meat only eaters to dinner.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004

Well you have to admit, Apple's been feeding us garbage for years and calling the tiny tweaks they do "updates."

It is NOT too much to ask to demand USB 3.0 or a graphics card < 4 years old from a ridiculously expensive computer.

I know people have done it a hundred times, but I priced a new PC with a 4770k Haswell and a GTX780 with a great Mobo and all these features (including thunderbolt) for $1800...

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006

I won't. I just want Thunderbolt, USB3 and SATA3 - that's not too much to ask for their "Pro" machine, considering all of the "un-pro" have had it for years now.

Of course, that HAS to be part of a new Mac Pro - the question is if there will ever be one.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Hopefully you'll find this as intriguing as I did.

It really isn't all that interesting. Retailers reading the same "tea leaves" as other folks. Since Apple introduced something last year around WWDC the "don't know anything" move would be to guess that would update again. Nobody wants to be stuck with expensive inventory. If stock goes down to zero and Apple doesn't intro they just fill inventory for another couple of months.

Apple has invoked the Osborne Effect but announcing long ago that they were going to upgrade some time in 2013. As more and more of 2013 disappears into the rearview mirror that more and more people are going to be waiting on the sidelines. The prospect for selling Mac Pros is going to go down. No retailer with sense is want to inventory stuff that increasingly folks don't want to buy. It is basically a game of music chairs where that each month that goes by a chair is pulled out of the mix.

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
many many "refubs"

Something drastic will definitely happen to the Mac Pro. It is either changing dramatically or it is going away, but it won't be anything incremental.

Look at how many "refurbs" there are right now in the Apple store. Everything must go. I've never seen such a variety from Apple:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro

Refurbished Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon $1,819.00

Refurbished Mac Pro 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon $2,139.00

Refurbished Mac Pro 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon $2,549.00

Refurbished Mac Pro 2.4GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon $2,649.00

Refurbished Mac Pro 2.4GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon $3,239.00

Refurbished Mac Pro 2.66GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon $4,149.00

Refurbished Mac Pro 2.66GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon $4,249.00

Refurbished Mac Pro 2.93GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon $4,799.00

Refurbished Mac Pro 3.06GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon $5,269.00

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Something drastic will definitely happen to the Mac Pro. It is either changing dramatically or it is going away, but it won't be anything incremental.

Look at how many "refurbs" there are right now in the Apple store. Everything must go. I've never seen such a variety from Apple:

The increase could be recently returned systems due to people reading rumours.

clamnectar

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009

Wow, yeah, that's the entire lineup up for grabs. Good catch. I wouldn't be surprised if the successor -- whatever it is -- is announced at WWDC, even if it takes another 3 months to ship.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
The increase could be recently returned systems due to people reading rumours.

Not really. Most of them are not 2012 models ( at least at this point). Apple has leasing programs. There are always going to be some that are going to be dropped and need new homes. Apple has 30 month lease programs. 30 months ago Apple was selling 2010 era systems like the ones that are the majority of this line up.

There is likely also more folks abandoning the platform who don't want to sink money into a repair or that Apple had to do a swap out (2012 for 2010 b ) for.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Not really. Most of them are not 2012 models ( at least at this point). Apple has leasing programs. There are always going to be some that are going to be dropped and need new homes. Apple has 30 month lease programs. 30 months ago Apple was selling 2010 era systems like the ones that are the majority of this line up.

There is likely also more folks abandoning the platform who don't want to sink money into a repair or that Apple had to do a swap out (2012 for 2010 b ) for.

Ah I didn't click the link, just saw that all the 2012 CPU configurations were on the list clamnectar posted.

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA

Wow. That can't be a coincidence, methinks.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Wow. That can't be a coincidence, methinks.

But is it Apple or user movements. I can imagine that there are some folks speculating there is something coming and dumping their current lease early.
There certainly appears to be a set of folks who even though they "need" the Mac Pro for business will chuck it in anticipation of something new coming, before anything has actually. Trying to "time" a market inflection instead of business continuity (i.e., wait for the the initial hyper and excitement to clear and then buy).

There certainly is a chorus who are now sing the 'spin' that Apple has to be doing a new Mac Pro at WWDC. Why? because they have to and it would have been a year since last year? [ all pretty lame motivations and/or indicators for Apple. ] Unless Apple is abandoning Xeon E5 class hardware this is one of the few times in 2013 when it is the 'wrong time'. I don't think that is going to stop folks who aren't thinking clearly though.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I won't. I just want Thunderbolt, USB3 and SATA3 - that's not too much to ask for their "Pro" machine, considering all of the "un-pro" have had it for years now.

Of course, that HAS to be part of a new Mac Pro - the question is if there will ever be one.

USB3, Thunderbolt and SATA3 will happen for sure. Can't make any promises on the number of drive bays though. :)

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
USB3, Thunderbolt and SATA3 will happen for sure. Can't make any promises on the number of drive bays though. :)

It seems like something is going to change drastically. However eliminating expandability (drive bays) in the only model that has them is illogical. For many, this kind of expandability is the reason they have bought the Mac Pro. Eliminating drive bays would not make Pros happy. Apple said they would make Pros happy this year.

If only a minority of Mac Pro owners used the extra drive bays then it makes sense to do the glorified Mac mini and connect external drives with TB. But if the majority (it seems) actually use the extra drive bays then eliminating them makes no sense.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Eliminating drive bays would not make Pros happy. Apple said they would make Pros happy this year.

The first is a sweeping generalization. The second is another that feeds off the first.

Apple isn't going to make everybody happy. Frankly, there are some "Pros" who were not happy with the Mac Pro in its previous state when updates were coming regularly. There is no one box that makes everybody, even within targeted demographics, happy. That is a mystical Holy Grail that doesn't exist.

Most folks who largely work off of centralized, shared storage in groups don't max out on internal drive bays. The notion that everything has to fit into a single box is not a "Pro" stance. There is a subset of folks who want that, but it isn't a business case or a "cure all".

But if the majority (it seems) actually use the extra drive bays then eliminating them makes no sense.

You're leaving out one of the cases. If they used them and still spilled out then the 4 really weren't enough either. It is really the combination of < 3 and greater than 4 being the majority that would put the same number of HDD drive bays into the not "best" fit status.

If most Pros are becoming digital pack-rats then one box isn't going to solve the problem. Any reasonable fix single digital number is going to get blown away over time.

In the past "outside" versus "inside" meant access speed differences without adding extra solutions. With the current common (or what should be common) interfaces , USB 3.0 , Thunderbolt/eSATA , for bulk HDD access it really isn't.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I'd guess more like early to later October for the Pro Fall release. Before the Fall and the Winter holidays consumer i? rumor leaking and official announcements.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
It seems like something is going to change drastically. However eliminating expandability (drive bays) in the only model that has them is illogical. For many, this kind of expandability is the reason they have bought the Mac Pro. Eliminating drive bays would not make Pros happy. Apple said they would make Pros happy this year.

If only a minority of Mac Pro owners used the extra drive bays then it makes sense to do the glorified Mac mini and connect external drives with TB. But if the majority (it seems) actually use the extra drive bays then eliminating them makes no sense.

I have this feeling, judging from some of the other things I've heard, that they might limit the number of hard drives and instead offer a smaller box and an external thunderbolt "solution." I call it the "final solution" to the "Professional Mac user" problem. I do have a rather unwieldy external hard drive setup, but I'd still be annoyed to pay a "thunderbolt tax" when it offers no benefit over eSATA.

I have a 5,1, I may not buy a new mac for another 5 years and just home-build a PC; but I'm no longer a pro in the tech field so maybe my opinion doesn't count.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
The first is a sweeping generalization. The second is another that feeds off the first.

Apple isn't going to make everybody happy. Frankly, there are some "Pros" who were not happy with the Mac Pro in its previous state when updates were coming regularly. There is no one box that makes everybody, even within targeted demographics, happy. That is a mystical Holy Grail that doesn't exist.

You are absolutely right, no one computer is going to satisfy everyone and I never meant to imply that.

Most folks who largely work off of centralized, shared storage in groups don't max out on internal drive bays. The notion that everything has to fit into a single box is not a "Pro" stance. There is a subset of folks who want that, but it isn't a business case or a "cure all".

I never stated that everything fitting into a single box is a "Pro" stance and you are right in that it's not a cure all. It's just that it's one of the biggest reasons the Mac Pro is purchased. It's not the only reason, true.

You're leaving out one of the cases. If they used them and still spilled out then the 4 really weren't enough either. It is really the combination of < 3 and greater than 4 being the majority that would put the same number of HDD drive bays into the not "best" fit status.

If most Pros are becoming digital pack-rats then one box isn't going to solve the problem. Any reasonable fix single digital number is going to get blown away over time.

I still think you'll find that >1 is preferred by most "Pros" but I don't have any scientific data to back that up, just what I've read here and online.

In the past "outside" versus "inside" meant access speed differences without adding extra solutions. With the current common (or what should be common) interfaces , USB 3.0 , Thunderbolt/eSATA , for bulk HDD access it really isn't.

Apple already has the rMBP, Mac mini, and iMac which depend heavily on TB. I just don't believe Pros are asking for the Mac Pro to be scaled down. We won't know until Apple pulls the trigger but I hope they don't ruin the Mac Pro (for me, of course ;)).

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
but I'd still be annoyed to pay a "thunderbolt tax" when it offers no benefit over eSATA.

That is confused. All that the benchmark is gong to do is compare SATA controllers. If the exact same class of SATA controller is used in the Thunderbolt device then the results are going to be approximately the same.

Thunderbolt's job is to deliver the SATA controller's data from the external box to the host. That is it. It is like complaining two PCI-e cards with similar controllers deliver similar performance are "bad".

Thunderbolt has a different value proposition. In the Mac space it can be used with other members in the line up. It is also expandable. SATA port multipliers are only going to get you so far and tend to pragmatically not to be interoperable when used to construct multi-vendors networks.

Thunderbolt is certainly on the early end of the standards evolution curve (so there aren't as large a diversity of solutions in marketplace), but is not going to last forever. Apple is only going to do a major redesign a Mac Pro every 6-10 years. There are going to aspects that point far more to the future than to the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.