Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
This is weak from Apple - an inexpensive 16GB iPod Touch would have filled a really big need for kids (and their parents), but taking out the camera makes it pretty lame in my opinion.

Really don't understand what's going on at Apple these days...

EXACTLY. I have been looking to make the transition for my son from my old 3GS iPhone(no sim card) to an iPod Touch. I've been waiting on iOS 7 news to make this jump. The lack of a rear camera means this is simply NOT an option. I have to believe a LARGE segment of the iPod Touch consumer base is in a similar situation - purchases for younger children. And NOT having a camera makes ZERO sense here.

It makes no sense, IMHO.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
EXACTLY. I have been looking to make the transition for my son from my old 3GS iPhone(no sim card) to an iPod Touch. I've been waiting on iOS 7 news to make this jump. The lack of a rear camera means this is simply NOT an option. I have to believe a LARGE segment of the iPod Touch consumer base is in a similar situation - purchases for younger children. And NOT having a camera makes ZERO sense here.

It makes no sense, IMHO.

Why is the camera so important, the camera on the 3GS was poor anyway.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Why is the camera so important, the camera on the 3GS was poor anyway.

Doesn't matter. It's a camera. kids love taking pictures/videos. The 1st question I would get is, "where is the camera?". To be quickly followed with, I want the old one back. We are not talking professional photographers here, we're talking kids.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
More importantly, this is evidence of the cheaper iPhone model rumor being true. Tim Cook is not necessarily the stubborn, headstrong perfectionist Jobs was. He's more of a crowd pleaser and will run the company more toward the whim of the shareholders.That means offering lower priced models to increase sales and market share.

What more sensible cost cutting measures could have been made to drop the price down? It couldnt have been any major hardware like ram, chip, or screen, as that would have disrupted the capability of the device. The camera is the most valuable, but non essential feature that can be taken out of the equation.

Theres nothing wrong with choice. People who want an ipod touch with a rear facing camera can have one. People who dont need one can save a few bucks.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
This is weak from Apple - an inexpensive 16GB iPod Touch would have filled a really big need for kids (and their parents), but taking out the camera makes it pretty lame in my opinion.

Really don't understand what's going on at Apple these days...

I have to agree, I do think the new entry level 16GB iPod seems a little too expensive for what it is. If they dropped it $USD30-$USD50 it would be killer for the younger market.

After speaking with a few friend the argument has been "well you can buy a Nexus7 with 32GB for not much more.." which does raise an interesting point about price point for apple and what they're going to be releasing next.

zmagik

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
I have to agree, I do think the new entry level 16GB iPod seems a little too expensive for what it is. If they dropped it $USD30-$USD50 it would be killer for the younger market.

After speaking with a few friend the argument has been "well you can buy a Nexus7 with 32GB for not much more.." which does raise an interesting point about price point for apple and what they're going to be releasing next.
Haha good luck with apple putting an iPod touch under 150

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
However you look at it it's not a good deal. For $70 more you get double the storage and a rear camera, of for even less buy a refurbished 32g. This is like going backwards, previous models have the back camera, but the newer model does not. That's confusing.

bigloudbang

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Two great articles regarding the Touch. It's sold 18 million in less than a year. Still going VERY strong.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2013/06/02/nine-reasons-the-16-gb-ipod-touch-is-a-great-move-for-apple/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ipod-touch-reaches-100m-sales-milestone

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Imagine if they released this at $99, never going to happen but it would be fantastic from $99-$149. I have found with Itunes Match, Amazon Instant Music and Google Music I have no need to have everything on the device, 16gb is fine for Apps and for Streaming Music and video.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
The problem here is a ton of apps use the rear camera for barcode scanning and other functions. I use my touch for shop kick, viggle and a whole bunch of other apps that help me earn money or points for stuff and all require a rear camera for scanning a receipt or a built in mic for recording sound. I also use the touch to catalog stuff, like video games and music which requires barcode scanning. Some games use the camera as well, so that would make those games incompatible.

Popular apps like instagram, Pinterest, foursquare all use the camera as well, lets not forget Facebook. Without a camera no more uploading photos to Facebook which is all the rage with the touch crowd.

So glad I got the touch 5g 32gb.

Lack of camera is a huge problem for kids and teens, most parents are buying this so they don't have to buy a special digital camera for their kids, this takes away a huge selling point of the touch.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
so are case manufacturers going to actually make cases for just this one model as all the other ones won't work as they have camera holes etc?

----------

The problem here is a ton of apps use the rear camera for barcode scanning and other functions. I use my touch for shop kick, viggle and a whole bunch of other apps that help me earn money or points for stuff and all require a rear camera for scanning a receipt or a built in mic for recording sound. I also use the touch to catalog stuff, like video games and music which requires barcode scanning. Some games use the camera as well, so that would make those games incompatible.

Popular apps like instagram, Pinterest, foursquare all use the camera as well, lets not forget Facebook. Without a camera no more uploading photos to Facebook which is all the rage with the touch crowd.

So glad I got the touch 5g 32gb.

Lack of camera is a huge problem for kids and teens, most parents are buying this so they don't have to buy a special digital camera for their kids, this takes away a huge selling point of the touch.

I agree this should have been $199 with a camera

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.