Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
RIP. One of the greatest comedy roles ever on TV.

Actress Jean Stapleton, beloved for her role as Edith Bunker on the 1970s television series "All in the Family," died Friday at her home in New York City. She was 90.

Stapleton's family confirmed to NBC News that she died of natural causes. Her children Pamela Putch and John Putch wrote an obit in which they said their mother was surrounded by friends and her immediate family when she passed peacefully.

"All in the Family" ran from 1971-79 on CBS, and Stapleton played the better-half to the bigoted Archie Bunker, played by actor Carol O'Connor. O'Connor died in 2001 at age 76.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Agreed, she was fabulous as Edith Bunker. :(

I got lost on Youtube last night in bed watching clips from All in the Family for like 2 hours. Not only a great comedic actress, but some damn fine dramatic performances on AitF too.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
That's sad. She lived a long life though. All In the Family was an incredible show. I used to watch it with my dad when i was little and i still watch it anytime i see it on tv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.