Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
OK, I thought you meant the option on the phone for "auto" proxy that can be selected for each network that you are connected to at the time.

Thats what I ment..i set my proxy on my iPhone 5 to auto and all is good now

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Hmmm. Well here's my deal. I have an asus rt-n56u. I had it on very old firmware. My i5 had horrendous speed and stability on it, on 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

I got fed up on day and updated my routers firmware, even though I generally have a "if it ain't broke" type mentality, I figured I might as well try.

I updated the router and since then, 5ghz on my i5 has been excellent. 2.4ghz is still crap. Why I have no clue.

My iPad 2 is the same story. It was perfect while I had it on ios 5.1.1. I updated to ios6 and wifi went downhill.

After router update, 5ghz is great. 2.4ghz crap.

No matter what anyone says, it's software related in one way or another.

Depends on the router itself, router firmware, and ios version.

Apple needs to figure this out

That counts as "ain't broke"?!?

Honestly, it's probably your router. Even the best routers deteriorate over time. I work with RF equipment at my job, no matter how cheap or expensive the equipment is, it will deteriorate over time/usage. That said, I have zero problems on iOS 6 on both my iPad mini and iPhone 5 with 5GHz or 2.4GHz WiFi bands. Sometimes interference may be the problem and you can't control that all the time. Or it's a peak hour for the ISP. Or maybe the switch for your area was being fixed or maintained.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I was thinking of stuffing that ol' mattress believe me! :p

Yah, good advice, the same thing applies to buying anything really, I remember researching video cards a few years ago and seeing the same thing...toss the dice and I was always good to go. So on that note I will get the 5 tomorrow. Thanks for the great communication!

Lol - sorry if it came across a little harsh. I only meant that bugs/glitches happen and frequenting a tech site often opens us up to many problems we normally wouldn't encounter otherwise.

Just need to take it all in stride and remember, we're a VERY small part of the population.

That said, I've loved my iP5 - LTE, the beautiful screen/color accuracy and speed of the device are wonderful. I like the form factor as well, and though it may scratch and scuff sometimes, it is overall more durable in that if dropped it's not a foregone conclusion the screen is shattered.

I have a Spigen Slim Armor case on mine and love it - good luck and enjoy!

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
That counts as "ain't broke"?!?

Honestly, it's probably your router. Even the best routers deteriorate over time. I work with RF equipment at my job, no matter how cheap or expensive the equipment is, it will deteriorate over time/usage. That said, I have zero problems on iOS 6 on both my iPad mini and iPhone 5 with 5GHz or 2.4GHz WiFi bands. Sometimes interference may be the problem and you can't control that all the time. Or it's a peak hour for the ISP. Or maybe the switch for your area was being fixed or maintained.

Yeah it does count as ain't broke. Because all of my equipment worked just fine before ios 6 was updated on all of them (at different time), and then all of them suddenly have horrendous wifi performance. The only equipment that remained the same, problem free were my windows pc's.

Its not time of day, isp, etc. Some routers don't jive with ios 6. Some are totally fine. Sometimes a FW update helps, sometimes it doesnt.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Yeah it does count as ain't broke. Because all of my equipment worked just fine before ios 6 was updated on all of them (at different time), and then all of them suddenly have horrendous wifi performance. The only equipment that remained the same, problem free were my windows pc's.

Its not time of day, isp, etc. Some routers don't jive with ios 6. Some are totally fine. Sometimes a FW update helps, sometimes it doesnt.

What router do you have? I have Netgear routers. I've had problems with Belkin routers (some require drivers to be installed for any device to connect). Linksys/Cisco routers were great. Apple routers work no problem of course. Buffalo, Asus also work great in my experiences.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ok I dont want to jinx myself again but I think the latest 6.1 update has fixed my iphone 5 wifi issues.
Its only been a few days with no problems connecting and staying connected and reconnecting fine so I really hope it stays like that.
Anyone else with 6.1 update comments on this?

d23gas

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009
I updated to 6.1 since the betas. Now i did a complete restore. I updated today my 4th Gen TimeCapsule. My internet is 50mbps FTTH. I'm in Uruguay and yes. I have this problem too. :(

Apps, videos, and almost everything heave load internet use, is painfully slow.

Last edited:

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I never had any peoblems with my newest generation TimCapsule. Now with the 6.1.2 update i have the same slow connection like mentioned here in the thread...

EDIT:

I did a reset for my network connection on the iphone and now I get 66 down and 10 up! Seems to be okay. My Macbook can reach 145 down. But 66 is very good for a iPhone!

The second test was 30 down and 10 up again! It`s still not constant. But I`m okay with it!

russoedu

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
WPA/WPA2 Encryption

Instead of changing from WPA to WEP, I changed the WPA/WPA2 Encryption from TKIP + AES to AES.

It seems to solve the problem!:)

Mears148

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
iPhone 5 (5 GHz Speeds)

Here is a shot showing more iPhone WiFi results from around my home.

These results were all recorded on the NY Speedtest.net server with the Asus RT-N66U router (5GHz network).

Ken,

What are your settings on your RT-N66U to get those speeds? I have the same router on 75/35 Mbps Verizon FiOS and I get the same 35avg speeds on 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. I set my encryption to WPA2 with AES only and 20/40 auto for channel width. Did you play with the settings a little to get those speeds, and how close are you to the router when testing (walls between?)? Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
This is crazy that this is still an issue. I returned my iphone 5 and same issue with the new one, except the "range" on my new one is horrible compared to my last one. I could go outside with my last one, and can't with the new one. If I do wifi signal is gone. Of course I also have a ipod 4g and wifi works outside all around! Frustrating!!

Apple says all iphone 5's have same wifi chip in them. Has anyone found out if this is true to how to check which phones have the "other" chip.???

soya

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Yeah I confirm. I've been testing iOS7 betas and now I've got a smooth YouTube streaming experience :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.