Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Fingerprints are a lot easier to get rid of than chipped coating on aluminium :) You're right though, it is a fingerprint magnet.

Lol. yep agreed they are :D

I just question the validity when someone makes a statement like " I'm OSD, my iPhone 5 bad shape in 2 weeks ", and yet somehow dismissive of things like finger print grease which would drive anyone with true OSD absolute mental.

Just makes you kind if there's a bit of insecurity, bias or another modus operandi involved in such a statement which is clearly a dichotomy upon itself.

If a person just has a preference - fine come out and say - I prefer this over this...
There is no reason to attribute fallacious or at least what seems contrary statements to justify it.

Throw Out

macrumors regular
May 12, 2012
Germany/Brazil
Lol. yep agreed they are :D

I just question the validity when someone makes a statement like " I'm OSD, my iPhone 5 bad shape in 2 weeks ", and yet somehow dismissive of things like finger print grease which would drive anyone with true OSD absolute mental.

Just makes you kind if there's a bit of insecurity, bias or another modus operandi involved in such a statement which is clearly a dichotomy upon itself.

If a person just has a preference - fine come out and say - I prefer this over this...
There is no reason to attribute fallacious or at least what seems contrary statements to justify it.

Clearly I "couldn't prevent the scratches".
That's why they occurred. DUH!

Also, as our friend said previously; finger print grease is easy to remove. I carry a simple cloth, and I clean it ;)

Sorry, but I don't know where your going here?

My OSD is about having something new look old and cheap. I'm not OSD over finger prints, if I was, I wouldn't buy a TOUCH SCREEN PHONE.

Perhaps, when I say OSD, you imagine I live in a house were everything is covered by plastic and I carry my cellphone in a zip lock bag.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Well, if you are a bit Howard Hughes about your phones then clearly nothing modern will do - I don't care about scratches or fingerprints on my Z because it isn't worth much to me (and didn't cost much).

microcutz

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Dumbarton, UK
I bought the Xperia, felt cheated, bought the Xperia S again felt robbed so no more Sony phones for me. On both occasions they seemed to have something that put them ahead for my personal preference, this Sony may actually be the one, but I won't ever find out.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

That's been debunked already.

Nokia have come out and said they don't make or have intentions to make a phone as big as they suggest in the photos.
Engadget said:
Update: WPCentral's sources say Nokia currently does not have plans for this type of over-sized phone, and they've confirmed that this image is inaccurate. Upon further research and analysis, we're leaning towards believing this is indeed an elaborate hoax.

Also don't you think it suspicious someone would be able to capture 3 unreleased handsets by different manufacturers together ? What are the chances ?

Nope just elaborate hoax I'm afraid.

mr.suff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2006
Leeds
I received the Xperia Z a week last Friday. Having been on a Nexus 4 since that was released I wanted to get in on the 1080p display action.

Every year I've bought an Android with an OEMs version of Android on it and have come away claiming never to do so again. With the Xperia Z it has been no different, you can read my review of it here

After a week of using it I went back to the Nexus 4 relieved to be back with Android as it should be. But boy, did I miss that 1080p screen. I have since taken some time to unlock the bootloader, root the phone and I am currently running PAC ROM. This could well be my perfect device... That is until I get the next one.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
My wife's got updated yesterday and it did seen to make the screen better. Seems configured much better.

Hers being a Three branded Xperia, it has taken them ages to push out the update though.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I received the Xperia Z a week last Friday. Having been on a Nexus 4 since that was released I wanted to get in on the 1080p display action.

Every year I've bought an Android with an OEMs version of Android on it and have come away claiming never to do so again. With the Xperia Z it has been no different, you can read my review of it here

After a week of using it I went back to the Nexus 4 relieved to be back with Android as it should be. But boy, did I miss that 1080p screen. I have since taken some time to unlock the bootloader, root the phone and I am currently running PAC ROM. This could well be my perfect device... That is until I get the next one.

What didn't you like about Sony's skin?

I also have a Nexus 4 and Xperia Z but don't find the Sony skin intrusive at all. In fact, they are known for keeping it much closer to stock than most vendors.

----------

My wife's got updated yesterday and it did seen to make the screen better. Seems configured much better.

Hers being a Three branded Xperia, it has taken them ages to push out the update though.

I gave up on waiting and just flashed a generic ROM via flashtool so it doesn't require the bootloader to be unlocked.

----------

You didn't actually need to unlock the bootloader to run a custom ROM. I've left mine locked and ran one for a while.

mr.suff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2006
Leeds
What didn't you like about Sony's skin?

I also have a Nexus 4 and Xperia Z but don't find the Sony skin intrusive at all. In fact, they are known for keeping it much closer to stock than most vendors.

----------

I gave up on waiting and just flashed a generic ROM via flashtool so it doesn't require the bootloader to be unlocked.

----------

You didn't actually need to unlock the bootloader to run a custom ROM. I've left mine locked and ran one for a while.

I don't much like the general look and aesthetic of anything but Stock Android. For one I've gotten used to the look on my Nexus and for two, I find the style of the UX to be more to my taste. I'd keep any UI on a phone if it looked better, but that's my personal preference, I found too many things that felt mis-matched to me.

I was under the impression that for me to use various Kernels I had to unlock the Boot-loader.

.:Aleph:.

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2013
I'm just wondering whether anybody here knows an online seller from Japan that could ship the phone with the Japanese version of the screen?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

If this turns out to be true, and eventually all manufacturers bring their flagships to Android stock google - this could be a very good thing.

It should sort out the rollout of updates - give us some baseline specifications for a smooth seemless android experience.

Basically the benefits of a 'closed' system apple has offered with IOS and software and baseline hardware - but with the hardware choice and various pricing structures that Android can offer.

I hope all future Android devices come with 'stock option' and eventually they will just bake in an option that manufacturers can pre-load stock android and their own skin, and on first boot it gives users the actual choice. That would be the real benefit of 'open' and not just 'open' to manufacturers, but to the consumer for a change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.