Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Apple flat design for the win.

I think I can agree with most of you that Microsoft's flat design was a disaster and looked like it was put together by an autistic chimpanze on LSD. The colors were too bright and made me want to puke and everything clashed and looked cheap.

This really put me off to the whole idea of flat design.

However after seeing the mock ups of iOS 7 and getting a sneak preview with the WWDC app I really like it. Staying with neutral backgrounds made it so that the OS didn't remind me of a toys r us toy, and Apple managed to make the minimalist lines actually look good with subtle refinement at every corner.

I really like it.

Does anyone else feel the same way, having originally hated the idea of flat design based on past failings, and liked it after they became more familiar with Apple's take on it?

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I really like the design. Active tabs are prominently indicated by blue highlights (like iTunes).

At this point I cannot tell if this is the iOS 7 design, however. WWDC 2012 app looked like this:
wwdc-120529.jpg

(Apple likes screwing with people! :p)

ninjazoe

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
What I am afraid of is that people will get used to these concepts and later when iOS 7 comes out they will be disappointed. I really like some of the predictions but just try to stay cool.
We have to wait a bit more. Only 7 days :) be strong and patient !

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Does anyone else feel the same way, having originally hated the idea of flat design based on past failings, and liked it after they became more familiar with Apple's take on it?

So you're asking, has anyone on this site ever disliked a feature until it was implemented by Apple?

I would say many feel that way :rolleyes:

I don't like the layout of WP8, I do like the flat design however. And bright colors are my favorite.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
What's the name of the app. I can't find it using search on the App store app on my iPhone.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
What's the name of the app. I can't find it using search on the App store app on my iPhone.

You can't search for it. Here's how you get to it:
Search for an Apple app (eg: Remote), then tap on that app. Scroll down to the bottom and tap Developer info. Scroll down to the bottom to find the WWDC app. Tap and install from there.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What I am afraid of is that people will get used to these concepts and later when iOS 7 comes out they will be disappointed. I really like some of the predictions but just try to stay cool.
We have to wait a bit more. Only 7 days :) be strong and patient !

People are going to be disappointed either way. This very website is proof of that. I reserve judgement for the actual unveiling. I have a hard time hating a design I've never seen.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
You can't search for it. Here's how you get to it:
Search for an Apple app (eg: Remote), then tap on that app. Scroll down to the bottom and tap Developer info. Scroll down to the bottom to find the WWDC app. Tap and install from there.

Thank you kind sir.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Don't read too much into the WWDC app.

Agreed. It is "flatter" and likely a move in the right direction, but by no means representative of the entire move to flat design. They are too smart to give it away and any major redesign would require OS-level elements that would not exist in iOS 6.

While there are some things I like about the app, overall it's cluttered and disjointed.

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I think you guys are overthinking this "flat" design business. Just be patient for once.:cool:

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
They are too smart to give it away and any major redesign would require OS-level elements that would not exist in iOS 6.

Not necessarily - all default UI elements in iOS 6 can be skinned to look however the developer wants. Plus with subclassing and categories they could add iOS 7 API features into an iOS 6 app if they wanted.

The thing is that this is pretty much just what I would suspect they do. Buttons with less gradient/shadow, navigation bars with less gradient and reduced shadow, no more gloss on the tab bar. It will look and feel cleaner, but they aren't going to drastically change the way the OS works because it would be too jarring for most users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.