Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

chrome.jpg
Google has updated its Chrome browser app for iOS to version 27, adding conversational voice search capabilities that were introduced at Google I/O and later deployed in the desktop and Android versions of the browser.

Voice search, which is already possible via Google's Search app for iOS, can be accessed in Chrome through a microphone bar that has been added to the top of the keyboard.

The update also includes faster page reloading on slow connections along with bug fixes and stability improvements
Improved voice search!
- Say what you want and get results back without typing
- Faster voice recognition with text streamed on the fly
- Get answers spoken back to you with web results tailored to your questions

Faster page reloading
- Pages reload faster even when the network is slow or unavailable

Stability / security improvements and bug fixes
Chrome is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Chrome for iOS Updated with Voice Search, Faster Page Reloading

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
This is me: *Sees update for Chrome in App Store, hits update, loves the new features*

This goes on for all updates for Google Apps :)

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
But still nowhere near as good as safari.

Haha made my day!
Safari is so old fashioned. Shame on you Apple for I am forced to use it as standard.
Apple has the same attitude as M$ with InternetExplorer.
I'd bet a lot of money that chrome is exactly the browser Ive would have liked to see for iOS.
Clean, simple, fast.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Haha made my day!
Safari is so old fashioned. Shame on you Apple for I am forced to use it as standard.
Apple has the same attitude as M$ with InternetExplorer.
I'd bet a lot of money that chrome is exactly the browser Ive would have liked to see for iOS.
Clean, simple, fast.

I like Chrome but I think we have different definitions of the words, clean, simple and fast.

kwiiboy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
With the help of the jailbreak I made Chrome my default browser and bought Nitrous. Absolutely perfect.

old-school

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
UK
Chrome just keeps getting better and better. This is a very welcomed update, they are streets ahead of apple in this area.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
I like Chrome but I think we have different definitions of the words, clean, simple and fast.

Maybe, but then I am right and you are wrong.
In safari I still have to scroll up the entire page to enter a new address or search.
Safari still has an address field and a search field (in osx Apple already adopted this from google).
Finally in safari I always have the stupid menu at the bottom. Why?
Cause it's nothing but old. I bet there will be nothing left from iOS 6 safari in iOS 7.
Safari is only fast cause Apple does not allow other developers what they allow their own.
Artificial.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Great!! Probably updated to try even more attempts to dial out and 'sniff' about my system.

My 'Littlesnitch' Application will probably go into meltdown with the 'Update'.

Why does Chrome try to sneak about my system and try to 'Update', when the App is not in use and supposed to be closed...?

Happens all the time and also whilst writing this post...

Attachments

• Google Chrome.jpg
    Google Chrome.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 301

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Chrome is a great desktop browser right on par with Safari. However, on mobile it is laughably bad. First of all, on iOS it can't use the Nitro Javascript engine so that means its significantly slower than Safari. It's basically just a wrapper for iOS Webkit which means any amateur can create a "browser" in iOS over the weekend just as fast as Chrome.

Anandtech did some testing showing Chrome FOUR TIMES slower than Safari in Javascript performance:

To check the difference, we ran the SunSpider 0.9.1 JavaScript benchmark on both browsers on the iPad three times each. Safari's average total time came out to 1843.8ms compared to Chrome's 7248.6ms, making Safari almost four times faster than Chrome in JavaScript. These results were largely duplicated by a number of other users as well, who saw anywhere from 7000ms to more than 9000ms results from Chrome (the higher end coming from iPhones, lower end from iPads).

But then on Android, Chrome is very buggy and terribly laggy compared to the old Android browser. The old Android browser can't do a lot of modern HTML5 things but at least its somewhat stable. Most people I know with the newer Android phones that come with Chrome use a different browser.

Declaring Chrome to be the best mobile browser is one of the surest ways to out yourself as just a Google fanboy.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Chrome is a great desktop browser right on par with Safari. However, on mobile it is laughably bad. First of all, on iOS it can't use the Nitro Javascript engine so that means its significantly slower than Safari. It's basically just a wrapper for iOS Webkit which means any amateur can create a "browser" in iOS over the weekend just as fast as Chrome.

Have you attempted to write your own browser? I thought the same thing until I tried and I discovered that it's actually a lot more difficult than you would think to implement every little feature of mobile safari starting with the UIWebView.

(I wanted to actually make my browser a lot better than Safari, feature wise, but ultimately gave up since it was just a school assignment.)

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

Anandtech did some testing showing Chrome FOUR TIMES slower than Safari in Javascript performance:

Safari, with full access to all of the private APIs and things like Nitro is definitely faster than 3rd party browsers overall, but it's not nearly as big of a difference as your quote implies. It isn't as if there is 60 seconds of javascript on every web page to churn through (as in a sunspider test). If it's just a few little code snippets here and there, it's not going to matter much if one gets done in .2 seconds and the other .05.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Haven't had a chance to play around with it yet but with voice search built into Chrome is there really any need now for the stand-alone Google Search app?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This is why I love google. Always updating their products. Unlike, Apple who waits a whole year to be a 'feature' in the next version of iOS, instead of a steady stream of updates to keep up with the competition. No wonder they are always behind.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This is why I love google. Always updating their products. Unlike, Apple who waits a whole year to be a 'feature' in the next version of iOS, instead of a steady stream of updates to keep up with the competition. No wonder they are always behind.

I doubt it will happen, but I would love for iOS 7 to bring standalone Apple core apps that can be updated. There's no good reason that Safari, Photos, Weather, Mail, etc. have to wait a full year to be updated to the public.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I can't believe Nitro has been out for so long now and Apple still hasn't figured out how to allow third-party apps to use it.

Oh wait, they probably have, but want all third-party browsers to be inferior so people use Safari. :p

And the "security" argument doesn't hold water. Apps are sandboxed anyway, so a hole in nitro isn't going to let you get very far anyway.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
I can't believe Nitro has been out for so long now and Apple still hasn't figured out how to allow third-party apps to use it.

Oh wait, they probably have, but want all third-party browsers to be inferior so people use Safari. :p

And the "security" argument doesn't hold water. Apps are sandboxed anyway, so a hole in nitro isn't going to let you get very far anyway.

there's really not much to figure out, the jailbreak community pretty much established that it's simply a matter of enabling it for use outside of safari

it's market control obviously. i'm just surprised that no one has put forth a case against them as was put forth against microsoft years back with internet explorer

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Best iOS browser keeps getting better.

Best?

- Not default (unless you jailbreak), so links don't open in it.
- Slowest (unless you jailbreak and use Nitro).
- Can't "Copy" an image, so you have to copy and paste the link into Safari, then copy the image.

I think I'll stick with Safari.

Chrome is even worse on Android.

- Requires a 4.0+ OS, when most devices are stuck on 2.x or older.
- Requires a very fast device. Have a 1GHz device with 512MB RAM? It still chugs along and freezes frequently. It has thousands of 1-start reviews about how slow it is.

And don't get me started on the Desktop Chrome.

- No decent NoScript replacement.
- Inconsistent Auto-scroll. It's there on Windows, but not on Mac without installing an extension!
- This crap: "This extension is managed and cannot be removed or disabled."

Chrome is terrible on all platforms, but there's always a circle-jerk party for it.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Was anyone else hoping for the "touch-less conversational search" demoed at I/O. Eg..."Ok Google (insert search here)"? Sort of disappointed this isn't out yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.