Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
i noticed that if i am running dual displays on my powerbook and open a game, then my pb lcd goes out and i use my 20" monitor (primary) while i'm playing my game. does this mean i am running the full v-ram on my 20" or is the v-ram still split in half?

for example, if i bought tiger woods 2005 which requires 64mb v-ram, but i only have 64mb v-ram and would like to use my 20" monitor rather than my pb lcd, will it be using the full 64mb on the 20"?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
proverbs said:
i noticed that if i am running dual displays on my powerbook and open a game, then my pb lcd goes out and i use my 20" monitor (primary) while i'm playing my game. does this mean i am running the full v-ram on my 20" or is the v-ram still split in half?

for example, if i bought tiger woods 2005 which requires 64mb v-ram, but i only have 64mb v-ram and would like to use my 20" monitor rather than my pb lcd, will it be using the full 64mb on the 20"?

wow that's a good question, I'd like to know as well. bump.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
mad jew said:
To the best of my knowledge, it will divide the VRAM in half unless you put the PowerBook into clamshell mode.

how do i do that?

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
is there a way to check this - like Ram and CPU usage with Activity Monitor?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You should be able to see it in System Profiler which can be accessed through the Apple menu - About this Mac and then More Info, under the Graphics/Displays section. :)

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
mad jew said:
You should be able to see it in System Profiler which can be accessed through the Apple menu - About this Mac and then More Info, under the Graphics/Displays section. :)

on the bottom part it says:

ViewSonicP810-3:
Display Type: CRT
Resolution: 1152 x 870 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Display:
Online: No

it says that the mirror is off and there is no display connected - so i'm guessing it is getting the full 128mb v-ram on the 20"???

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
blaskillet4 said:
Add KB+Mouse... Then close it... So mac-like :D
I'm sorry, my ignorance at work here, I have no idea what what this means. I've wanted to try my PB in clamshell mode but never knew how to do it, then someone tells me and I still don't know how to do it.
Clarification for the idiot please :confused:

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
neocell said:
I'm sorry, my ignorance at work here, I have no idea what what this means. I've wanted to try my PB in clamshell mode but never knew how to do it, then someone tells me and I still don't know how to do it.
Clarification for the idiot please :confused:

just plug-in a keyboard and mouse - when the pb goes to sleep after you close it, awake it from sleep with the keyboard or the mouse.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
proverbs said:
just plug-in a keyboard and mouse - when the pb goes to sleep after you close it, awake it from sleep with the keyboard or the mouse.
Ah so easy and obvious, man I feel like a 3 year old right now. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.