Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Such whining about Windows8. :rolleyes:

Install Stardock's Start8 and get on with life.

mkrndll

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I went from 2011 MBA 11 inch to a 13inch Zenbook and...

BOY DID I REGRET THAT

The build quality of this thing is sooo lousy, I can hardly believe it. I'm currently trying to sell it at a huge loss. To no avail so far...

Stick with MBAs for the love of god.

Very useful experience. Thank you!

Personally, I think you'd be crazy to get anything but another MBA 11" (it's what I own currently), but I do have a friend that isn't an Apple person and I looked at all the Wintel options at the time and convinced him to buy one of the tiny Sony computers (VAIO T I think it was). That laptop was tiny and every time he brought it with him on holidays I was so envious (I'd pull out my work IBM ThinkPad) - his Sony was so small and so portable, very lightweight, but of good quality. He bought an extended battery (which actually elevated it in the back and made typing even nicer than it being flat) and that thing would run for hours and hours on a single charge. Recently, I looked at them again, they are nice, but wow depending on the model and options you choose, they can be expensive. Still, if you're going to go Wintel, from the experience of my friend, the Sony is a very nice system, and has lots and lots of options. He just replaced that old machine and went for a Toshiba, but I don't think it's nearly as nice as the Sony, and I don't think he likes it nearly as much as the Sony (he's actually talking about trying an MBP!). Good luck in your search!

Thank you. The Vaio's look like a nice option indeed. I have looked at their current offering and I would say the Duo 11 with the extended battery would fit best. Does anyone have direct experience with it?

Last edited:

mkrndll

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Surface Pro is a good option because battery life is similar and it has similar specs. Don't know why it's less of a machine.

Only i5 option for the processor, max at 4Gb RAM, less storage, more expensive.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, currently have a 2012 i7/8GB and love it. The MBA is just the most complete package out of all the ultraportables and its tough to find others that stack up. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new MBA brings at WWDC.

That said, the closest competitors to the 11" MBA (IMO) are:

Disclaimer: Ignoring OS differences, and placing higher value on DisplayPort for high resolution desktop monitor usage.

Surface Pro - very different, but has close to equivalent computing power. No 8GB RAM option, slightly smaller screen (but higher resolution). Does have some narrow usage scenario pros (tablet use, stylus).

Toshiba Kirabook - screen on par with rMBP 13" but bigger form factor, decent looks. No DisplayPort, new product so I'd be hesitant to try it out.

Asus UX21A Prime - Good aesthetics, no 8GB RAM option, no DisplayPort. 1080p. Has been around for a few iterations so should have some polish to it.

Dell XPS 13 - Seems to be best of the bunch. 13" screen in form factor slightly larger than 11" MBA, has equivalent processor options and 8GB RAM, DisplayPort, 1080p, good aesthetics.

To the OP: the XPS 13 has matured into what appears to be the most complete competitor to the MBA, and with Windows 8.1 + Haswell it will be very good. It still remains to be seen what 10.9 and the 2013 MBA will bring, but the OS-agnostic user searching for a new computer has 2 very good options to choose from.

Extremely useful. You worked hard on that post. I agree on the XPS being the most similar option to the 13" Air, it is a nearly exact copy in terms of hardware and a very sensible choice if OS-agnostic. For my objectives though, it is a bit too bulky, and I don't see an equivalent to the 11" Air. (Their 12" hybrid offering weighs 50% more than the 11" Air)

mkrndll

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Ipad with keyboard cover. It's the only real alternative. Most of the 'high' end ultra books are expensive, flakey, stuck with windows 8, and knock offs of the Air!

I have tried it, but the constraints of iOS (no real multi-tasking, lack of direct hdd access, extremely closed OS, etc) and the limited software offering made everything more cumbersome and time-intensive.

Do you use that combo or know of anyone who does? If so, I would love to read about the experience. So far, I have learnt that my ageing 11" Air is better than the iPad 3 + keyboard.

Unless to need to save money, I do not see the need to look elsewhere given your requirements. Out of curiosity, is your current 11" faulty? We have one from launch and it is still a very capable machine for what it is, as they were never intended as power machines.
To tell the truth it still works fine, I had saved the money for something else that is not going to happen and the next thing in my list was upgrading it. It is my main workstation and I will enjoy the performance update for sure. Also, the 64Gb hard drive has become a hard limitation. If I upgrade, I will get the top option this time.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I have tried it, but the constraints of iOS (no real multi-tasking, lack of direct hdd access, extremely closed OS, etc) and the limited software offering made everything more cumbersome and time-intensive.

Do you use that combo or know of anyone who does? If so, I would love to read about the experience. So far, I have learnt that my ageing 11" Air is better than the iPad 3 + keyboard.

Yes, I have a desktop (Mac Mini) for my media. It's actually just hooked up to the TV.

I use the full size iPad for my work machine, and the iPad mini as my 'consumption' device (Reading, videos, netflix)

Any questions I can answer, just ask.

d3vilsadvocate

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
Let me explain why I did not like my Asus 13 incher compared to my old MBA:

-you get the same old crapware as usual. A clean install is a must
-the fan behaviour is ridiculous. Apple's always-on @ 2000rpm solution is MUCH better. If you use the notebook fan control tool, it will actually get too hot.
-the screen had backbleeding and the brightness would change often when you rightclick with the touchpad.
-the touchpad itself is hopeless. Forget 2-Finger scroll. Often left or right click wouldn't register. It lacks precision and I found it really annoying.
-sleep mode was unreliable as with every other Wintel Laptops. I left the Zenbook in the pouch in standby mode once and 8 hours later it was hot to the touch and probably failed to switch to hibernate. I made hibernate default after that, wich is lovely for a laptop and when combined with ssd.

The rest was ok I guess

farkingdom

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Some new alternatives : Acer Aspire S7 with Haswell, Asus Zenbook Infinity, Dell XPS 11. It is pretty clear competition have caught up in terms of hardware.
Apple better have something good up their sleeves on WWDC 2013.

Riker88

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
The new Sony Vaio Pro with Haswell would be a serious contender to replace my 11 inch MBA.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/04/sony-vaio-pro-11-review/

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Some new alternatives : Acer Aspire S7 with Haswell, Asus Zenbook Infinity, Dell XPS 11. It is pretty clear competition have caught up in terms of hardware.
Apple better have something good up their sleeves on WWDC 2013.

These three machines are looking particularly good. My mouth is just salivating. If the MBA doesn't get an update, it will be clearly left behind. But then, we must first see these new laptops in person as they may not live up to the hype. The MBA is a good machine on all respects, and these three contenders may lack something as a good keyboard or trackpad. But if Asus, Dell or Acer managed to have some good ergonomics, then I guess they will leave the MBA behind.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
So I like everything about the 11in MacBook Air and I will most probably renew mine with the upcoming June 10 update.

However, just for the sake of being thorough and not buying only based on past experience, what would be some alternatives at the moment? I am most interested in small form-factor and most importantly smallest possible weight and longest battery-life.

If you want an ultrabook that runs OSX, there are only 2 alternatives, MBA11 and MBA13.

Looking at Windows based ultrabooks is not being thorough.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Ultrabooks are for people who are on a budget constraint, or already heavily invested in Windows.

Let me bring you up to speed. These are what I would call high-end Ultrabooks that are the best you can probably buy:

Sony Pro 11 & 13

http://store.sony.com/c/Pro-Series-Notebooks/en/c/S_PRO_SERIES_PAGE

Samsung Series 9

http://www.samsung.com/us/topic/pushing-the-envelope

ThinkPad X1 Carbon

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon-touch/

There's dozens more coming. This is out later in the year:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/03/asus-zenbook-infinity-gorilla-glass-3/

You can buy most of the above for less than the current MacBook Air range and every single one of them is far more advanced than the current MacBook Air models.

Perhaps in a few hours Apple can show us if they are able to compete?

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
To repeat what I said above, perhaps in a few hours Apple can show us if they are able to compete?

Apple IS competing, and has been competing, with the only combination that makes sense, i.e., hardware AND software

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Just dreaming, if the ultra book hardware are OSX compatible for hackintosh. I believe it would drive the sales as well. ML run smooth on dell xps would be great experience.

mkrndll

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
If you want an ultrabook that runs OSX, there are only 2 alternatives, MBA11 and MBA13.

Looking at Windows based ultrabooks is not being thorough.

OSX is magnificent and I prefer it to Windows, but Windows is a good and perfectly useful OS too. I am more interested in responsiveness, portability (mostly lightness) and battery life.

With the new update promising 9h battery life, I'm sold as long as the weight stays the same.

barrk

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
OSX is magnificent and I prefer it to Windows, but Windows is a good and perfectly useful OS too. I am more interested in responsiveness, portability (mostly lightness) and battery life.

With the new update promising 9h battery life, I'm sold as long as the weight stays the same.

Weight is the same

----------

Let me bring you up to speed. These are what I would call high-end Ultrabooks that are the best you can probably buy:

Sony Pro 11 & 13

http://store.sony.com/c/Pro-Series-Notebooks/en/c/S_PRO_SERIES_PAGE

Samsung Series 9

http://www.samsung.com/us/topic/pushing-the-envelope

ThinkPad X1 Carbon

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon-touch/

There's dozens more coming. This is out later in the year:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/03/asus-zenbook-infinity-gorilla-glass-3/

You can buy most of the above for less than the current MacBook Air range and every single one of them is far more advanced than the current MacBook Air models.

Perhaps in a few hours Apple can show us if they are able to compete?
All of those PCs were more expensive than a Macbook Air with similar specs and some were more expensive than a Macbook Air with superior specs. :confused:

SimonasLT

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
OP checkout Samsung's offerings, ex. ATIV Book 7 or Ativ Book 9. Also, dont forget Asus Zenbook line - they're pretty good too.
These ultrabooks have:
• 1080p / 900p IPS displays with a lot higher brightness
• Touch panels (selected models)
• Aluminum bodies, good-quality keyboards
• Similar battery life
• Better gaming performance (well, since they run Windows and DirectX)
• Lower price

If you have money, consider Zenbook Infinity - very nice laptop, imho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.