Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your Prometheus Rating

• 1/5- Aweful

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • 2/5- Barely Tolerable

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • 3/5- OK

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • 4/5- Good

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • 5/5- Great

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Not Gonna See It.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Lately I've just been watching the first twenty minutes and the part with the ship in it...

...and then you turn it off? If you like SciFi, you'd have to see Prometheus based on this one scene that was prominent in previews/trailers. :)

I watched it a few hours ago and I thought it was good.

- The opening "waterfall" sequence was confusing.
- Yes, quarantine protocol or lack thereof.
- The "eel" scene was NUTS. Ugh!
- If the "engineers" and humans have the same DNA, why did the initial alien come out as a squid yet when it "pairs" with an engineer, it becomes the serpent alien we know of?
- God Charlize Theron is gorgeous without a lot of makeup. I wish I could look that great without makeup!

How were the lines for everyone else? Leaving the theater at 7pm, the line for the later shows was already around the front (Mercado in Santa Clara).

After watching it yesterday, regarding the waterfall sequence, there would have to be other ways to introduce life to a planet, but maybe this was some cherished ritual of the engineers? And as far as the different types of aliens, I assume it's due to mutations.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I think that was one of the problems with Prometheus, expectations based on the Aliens franchise, however parts of the Alien franchise sucked BIG TIME (as I think of the abominations called Aliens 3 and Aliens Resurrection), puke! :p Although not perfect, Prometheus has reversed the downward spiral of the previous stories.

Wait they made an Alien 3 and 4? :p Oh those were bad, very bad............

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I usually do that when watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy... I fast forward to the next good scene. :)

lol, funny I did that with all the books - 25 pages to describe an environment which did nothing more to help the next part of the story and nothing to recall back to it annoyed my wandering mind. I've never done that with Sci-Fi movies though.

Wait they made an Alien 3 and 4? :p Oh those were bad, very bad............

I actually liked those! Common you didn't like the original actor from the 80's Beauty & The Beast TV show saying "Does not compute!?!" lol. Although when I first saw it I was dying for a break-out or comic relief of "shake, shake, shake señora, shake your batti-line .." ;)

The exploding head did nothing for the story. I guess it can be written off as a random event. I remember having quarantine jitters watching that scene as they were yelling "contain it, contain it!". ;)

I did not see them getting lost either, because they maintained comms when inside the pyramid and they had personal locator displays of them on the display back at the ship. This is a weak point in the story to serve up two crew members for sacrifice. ;)

Exploding head:
Describes anything can happen to an artifact especially organize. Also just to bring back the jitters of those whom saw Alien when it first debuted in theatres or WUTV29 back in the day ;) (seems to have worked lol).

Call me a sucker but I will go see it......... As much as I disliked the first one, I am still a sucker for sci-fi and of course for Alien related stuff!

I will go in with lower expectations if you will. But yup I want to see it lol

I will also see it as I'm a sucker for GOOD production Sci-Fi movies! I actually liked Prometheus!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prometheus Questions - Baffled

Ok loved this movie but I'm so confused with a few things.

Throughout all the deep research and explanation of the architects' being the originators of humanity, could the writers not explain how cryogenics worked or how a fuel could be burned over so many millions of miles and not consume every inch of that ship!?!

Storage room when breached the climate changed and thus the mural did as well. Was a Queen Alien also present?

Earth origin … when the architect drank that nasty soup, not once did he show fear in what he was doing, not until his leg broke and he looked at his arm fading away. So why was the other one fearful of being violated for larva injection? That planet had no life on it either?

What happened to the first mutated alien that sieged the first ship? How come it didn't try to enter the other chambers and then proceed to eat the other architects' sleeping? Did it die of starvation? Because no forced sign of entry was made, and the goo they leave behind when salivating was present when the people saw the bodies (or just before)??

Most importantly, that dude that called the diggers dummy's and those sensors his pups … how come he did mutated, and not breed an alien?

Ok I think I'm going to re-watch this movie again tonight since I have it … some of my memory is vague.

PS: If I'm correct that Predators and Aliens had the same creators - originally in the comics before the movies

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok loved this movie but I'm so confused with a few things.

Throughout all the deep research and explanation of the architects' being the originators of humanity, could the writers not explain how cryogenics worked or how a fuel could be burned over so many millions of miles and not consume every inch of that ship!?!

"They" deemed an explanation as not important to the story. Just take it at face value. This was not a Michael Crichton story or David Weber story. Both of them like to explain tech aspects of their stories. :)

Storage room when breached the climate changed and thus the mural did as well. Was a Queen Alien also present?

I don't believe so. The source of the alien critters was the mutation goo.

Earth origin … when the architect drank that nasty soup, not once did he show fear in what he was doing, not until his leg broke and he looked at his arm fading away. So why was the other one fearful of being violated for larva injection? That planet had no life on it either?

The one who was impregnated at the end? I think what happened on Earth was a ceremony where one of the Engineers (Architects from Halo? ;)) volunteered to sacrifice himself, although my personal view is there would be an easier way to seed the planet. As we saw holograms of Engineers running away, I think it's safe speculation that they all did not have sacrificial death wishes. :)

What happened to the first mutated alien that sieged the first ship? How come it didn't try to enter the other chambers and then proceed to eat the other architects' sleeping? Did it die of starvation? Because no forced sign of entry was made, and the goo they leave behind when salivating was present when the people saw the bodies (or just before)??

Left to speculation. Which ship?

Most importantly, that dude that called the diggers dummy's and those sensors his pups … how come he did mutated, and not breed an alien?

Results are not consistent. :) Fifield, the geologist was the one who got sprayed in the face with acid, but he had his helmet on which then melted and he fell into the goo. Exposed, he was mutated, just like the boy friend, Holloway was exposed by a naughty robot and he started to mutate. The other guy Milburn, the biologist was eaten by the eel thingies.

Another unknown is how much mutation takes place? Remember they spoke of this place as being a bio-weapon site. It's possible what happened on Earth was in the name of good mutation, while this location was about bad mutation used as a weapon.

The biggest mystery is why did they change their minds about Earth and after creating life, now want to harm it? Unknown. Maybe we were big disappointments to them...

Really this story has to be taken for face value or "just" entertainment. If you are familiar with how evolution takes place, environmental pressures change outcomes, and that if you seeded the planet with fragments of your DNA to create primitive life forms, there would be no guarantees what you'd end up with. The basic premise of the movie is that it was aliens who seeded the planet with life or altered the life that was all ready forming there, and then after humanoids developed, they had a relationship with early civilizations. I can buy it. :D

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Left to speculation. Which ship?

.. "As we saw holograms of Engineers running away," - I'm thinking from the hologram one of the architects where already 'violated' or impregnated and gave birth to a full stage alien already, so what happend to that one? Did it move onto another ship - maybe the one that last earth survivor female left on? (ok my mind is spinning all over the place now).

The biggest mystery is why did they change their minds about Earth and after creating life, now want to harm it? Unknown. Maybe we were big disappointments to them...

or maybe after the relationship of early civilized man, they had seen us as a threat to their other worldly experiments elsewhere since we had interstellar travel and seemingly some control over age, etc. A child cannot be the parent/god when one already exists, right? ;) Then again maybe there intent was to mutate us as a 2nd of many stages ... you know because they can ;)

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
.. "As we saw holograms of Engineers running away," - I'm thinking from the hologram one of the architects where already 'violated' or impregnated and gave birth to a full stage alien already, so what happend to that one? Did it move onto another ship - maybe the one that last earth survivor female left on? (ok my mind is spinning all over the place now).

or maybe after the relationship of early civilized man, they had seen us as a threat to their other worldly experiments elsewhere since we had interstellar travel and seemingly some control over age, etc. A child cannot be the parent/god when one already exists, right? ;) Then again maybe there intent was to mutate us as a 2nd of many stages ... you know because they can ;)

This will blow your mind if you haven't read it.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This will blow your mind if you haven't read it.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

That is an informative link which I've read earlier in the thread.

What you can't pick up from the film itself, is what happened 2000 years ago to "change the goo" and have it turn on the Engineers? According to that article it had to be exposed to flawed humans. 2000 years ago, a significant event happened in Christianity. My guess is that is a significant plot point, however it's unknown what exactly occurred on LV223 that killed most of the Engineers.

From the link:
So how did our (in the context of the film) terrible murderous act of crucifixion end up wiping out all but one of the Engineers back on LV-223? Presumably through the black slime, which evidently models its behaviour on the user's mental state. Create unselfishly, accepting self-destruction as the cost, and the black stuff engenders fertile life. But expose the potent black slimy stuff to the thoughts and emotions of flawed humanity, and 'the sleep of reason produces monsters'. We never see the threat that the Engineers were fleeing from, we never see them killed other than accidentally (decapitation by door), and we see no remaining trace of whatever killed them. Either it left a long time ago, or it reverted to inert black slime, waiting for a human mind to reactivate it.

That black goo is some dangerous ****... :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thread revived and this quote pulled and continued from The Movie thread.
Prometheus Spoilers

LOL, of course I missed with the spoiler tags. o_O Thank you and @SandboxGeneral for the tutorials on that.

Now Prometheus: I understand the element of the seeding of the Earth, but I was talking specifically about the bio engineering of the Xenomorphs. That accident could possibly be seen as the first step towards the two mouthed thingy we all know and love. Or something. :p

Actually, it's not just a drawing. It was looking at Giger's design where I remembered that human skull in the creature. I initially came across the 12-18" figure first long before I saw the original Alien. if you look at the Xenomorph in the original Alien (and said figure), you will see the human skull in the face. I think that was a fascinating piece of lore to work with and I was hoping to see the literal creation of the xenomorphs.

What I was saying is that I put more weight on what I saw in the story vs a Giger drawing although I won't insist you are wrong. :)

What the story did not bother to explain is how black goo on a primordial Earth can result in a planet full of normal life, vs black goo at what is described as a weapons factory that churns out monsters. Also, honestly I've gotten a little foggy on how Elizabeth Shaw figures out it's a weapon factory, and that they changed their minds about us other than they ran into a hostile Engineer!

If you recall, the alien back on primordial Earth dissolved when he drank the goo, so I'd expect anyone exposed to it to have something drastic happen to them. And I suppose that a human who observes another human desolved or turned into a monster as a result of exposure to the black goo would fail to see any positives, thinking of this stuff as inherently bad.

The Internet to the rescue! :D These are theories:
Secrets of the Black Goo Revealed- Makes a case that black goo in a vial is different from weaponized black goo in a canister.

How Did The Black Liquid Work In Prometheus- An author theorizes that there are good Engineers who seeded the Earth with Engineer DNA and possibly bad Engineers or that Engineers just changed their mind about us, viewing the resulting humans as a failed science experiment, hence want to destroy us, with xenomorphs capable of wiping out a planet.

What is the black goo and what does it do? Catalyst for evolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
oh Huntn bless you sir, you truly do love this film and obviously remember more than I did. Many points you bring up I quickly forgot upon my sole viewing. Pardon this, but I was laughing too hard during a couple of monster scenes to really remember anything else beyond Fassbender's performance.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
oh Huntn bless you sir, you truly do love this film and obviously remember more than I did. Many points you bring up I quickly forgot upon my sole viewing. Pardon this, but I was laughing too hard during a couple of monster scenes to really remember anything else beyond Fassbender's performance.

If you are referencing the isn't it cute, and the let's take off our helmets scenes yes those are worthy of laughs. The director was having fun with the audience. ;) However, I found none of the monsters in their own rights to be cute or laughable, just disturbing. I also remember yelling (in my mind) during a previous movie, don't go into the ducts with a flame thrower! :D

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Its been a while since I watched this one; I'll queue it up for later today.

For some movies the whole becomes more than the individual pieces. While it garnered considerable wraith from some Alien(s) fans, it's beautifully filmed, a worthy story, with interesting elements, especially the android David that widens the spectrum of the story exponentially, such that it's a work of celluloid art. :D

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
If you are referencing the isn't it cute, and the let's take off our helmets scenes yes those are worthy of laughs, however, I found none of the monsters in their own rights to be cute or laughable. They were disturbing. I also remember yelling (in my mind) during a previous movie, don't go into the ducts with a flame thrower! :D

I know you're a big fan, but... I found all of the monsters funny except for the Engineers. o_O

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I know you're a big fan, but... I found all of the monsters funny except for the Engineers. o_O

What else can I say? Oh, I can admit that I walked into Prometheus expecting a different movie. :)

In case anyone missed it in the other thread:
Alien Covenant
(2017)
Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world -- whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

What We Can Expect To See In Alien: Covenant, According To Ridley Scott

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.