Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Ever since the first iPhone I've felt that the Camera app really has been more of like a toy feature that they've just put in there because people like to snap pictures, and then not really worried about. When all of these extra apps came out (which, by the way, Apple makes money of when people buy them...) all those who actually cared got their fix, and Apple made money and didn't have to spend money fixing their own camera app.

Personally, I feel that Apple could very well add the option to show/hide WB and EC sliders just as KitCam does. It's not intrusive, and if you make sure they're reset every time you close the app you won't have beginners accidentally changing them and not understanding why all of their pictures look so weird compared to others'.

It would also be pretty sweet if they added the same sliders in the Edit menu as well, for better post editing.

I think that would put the stock app in a sweet spot. But that's probably just because those are really the only options I use in KitCam ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I find the lack of function and features available to the iPhones camera apps (all of them) pretty bad. I hate editing a photo to make it "right".

Here is an example. These are all taken with a 4S and are white pieces of paper. Taken in the same place but with different outdoor lighting. I don't see a good reason I'm limited to an automatic white balance.

uzymeber.jpg

Its a real pain to fix something like that post picture. I find the iPhone camera to be pretty good as a quick point and shoot I don't see why there isn't a automatic and manual mode like point and shoots. That's a win win for everyone.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I find it so astonishing people here are so clueless to what they are talking about with photography..... They have no idea what exposure really means.. even with the OP explaining it to them several times.

With that said, I too am disappointed that Apple decided not to include EC into the iPhone camera when just about every other phones have them. It would be so logical to have this feature even for a phone camera.

I think the OP's point was that it's a shame that apple doesn't have this feature on their iPhone when every other smartphones do.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I find it so astonishing people here are so clueless to what they are talking about with photography..... They have no idea what exposure really means.. even with the OP explaining it to them several times.

I've recently published a full article to Exp. Comp here at the MR forums: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1621351/

I've also elaborated on ProCam's (faux) exp. comp. slider at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1651315/

----------

I think the OP's point was that it's a shame that apple doesn't have this feature on their iPhone when every other smartphones do.

Yes, it is a shame. And there is no API support either, making it impossible to create an app with proper exp. comp. support.

----------

I mean, you've got people suggestion Camera+ so he can do manual exposure...

Actually, Camera+ doesn't support true (dialed-in integer values) exp. comp. either. It's simply not possible via the iOS API.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.