Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Russian newspaper Izvestia reports [Google translation, via AppleInsider] that Apple has filed for a trademark [Google translation] on the term "iWatch" in Russia, supporting rumors that the company is planning to launch a smart watch as soon as later this year.

The Russian trademark filing, made on June 3 through law firm Baker & McKenzie, claims a priority registration date of December 3, 2012 in Jamaica. Apple and other companies frequently file first in Caribbean countries such as Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago where records are not easily searchable online, using those priority dates to help secure protection in other countries at later dates.

iwatch_russia_trademark_application.jpg
According to the filing, Apple has applied for protection on the "iWatch" name in two trademark classes: Class 9, which includes computers and peripherals; and Class 14, which includes various types of jewelry such as watches.

continuous.png
Drawing from Apple patent application for a "slap bracelet" video accessory resembling a smart watch
Izvestia reports that Apple faces a bit of competition for the iWatch name in markets around the world, including in the United States where multiple companies have received trademarks on variations of the term in Class 9. Even in Russia, another company's 2011 application for the iWatch trademark in Class 14 was denied due to similarities to an existing "iSwatch" trademark held by Swiss watchmaker Swatch.

While efforts by Apple to protect the "iWatch" name are suggestive of plans to launch such a product, they are by no means definitive. In the lead-up to the iPad launch, we discovered that Apple had been seeking to secure rights to iSlate trademarks and domain names, only to later discover evidence that it was also protecting the iPad name. Both of those efforts were performed with the use of dummy corporations designed to hide Apple's role in securing the names, but it appears that Apple is not resorting to such measures with the iWatch name.

(Thanks to Anastasia Spilnick of PATENTUS for directing us to the actual filing.)

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Begins Filing for 'iWatch' Trademarks

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
Still waiting on an Apple Television set. The iWatch will probably be released in 4 or 5 years... ho humm

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Have to say... I think Apple may pull something out of the hat on Monday. The WWDC invitations seem to me to hint at a watch. Roman numerals, and the first W is cut off and looks to me like it is meant to look like a watch hand.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Have to say... I think Apple may pull something out of the hat on Monday. The WWDC invitations seem to me to hint at a watch. Roman numerals, and the first W is cut off and looks to me like it is meant to look like a watch hand.

I didn't even notice the first W cut down a little until you mentioned it...

But either way I feel like Apple is going to do something big now. I think it has been long enough where people are getting bored (and don't have anywhere to spend their money) and that is the perfect time to release something new, something big - whether it is the iWatch, iTV, or something completely unknown.

allistera

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012

Also the heading: "The Wait Is Almost Over".

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I don't think we'll see it this year. My guess they will unveil it alongside the iPhone 6 at WWDC in 2014. Would seem the sensible thing to do as they'll need to convince developers to write apps for it and explain how apps will work with a larger screen iPhone.

I also think it makes sense to move the iPhone release back to the summer so they are broadly in line with the release dates of their main competitors and so they can release new processors in the iPhone a few months before the iPad.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

I agree. I don't know that it will be new hardware necessarily, but I feel like big things are happening next week. I just have this weird feeling.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not terribly interested unless it's really a watch (and nice looking one) first and happens to have some connectivity.

But I can't wait to iSnooze the alarm ;)

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
I seriously hope Apple is devoting their time/effort to fixing iOS and OS X, not wasting it on useless accessories like a watch.

I personally don't see the benefit of using an iWatch over using an iPhone, or any other smartphone.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
The iWatch will probably be released in 4 or 5 years... ho humm

I'll take the bet that it will not take as long as that.

Tim cook discussed this at D11 at length, in comparison (and competition) to Google glass, fuel band etc. Maybe they discussed it openly-ish for the first time recently, however this is not something Apple thought about last week. iPad names started cropping up just prior to a release also.

I think a device like an iWatch, or whatever is imminent and no where close to being 5 years away. Anyway, in 5 years time we will have the iRetina control device which will make iWatch obsolete. ;)

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Hmmm to me a watch is more about fashion. I don't really understand why I would want a smart watch when I have a smart phone sitting in my pocket that does the same things better and with a bigger screen.

The only benefit would be for working out and it having bluetooth or some type of wireless audio and have storage so I don't have to carry my phone on me. also relaying and tracking heart rate would be handy.

Still probably not worth what I'd have to spend on it I'll just keep using my phone for music when I work out. Its not that heavy. :p

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Trademarks and patents don't necessarily mean products. These could be protective of their brand in case some other company tries to come out with a watch-like device and Apple has no interest in this space.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Not terribly interested unless it's really a watch (and nice looking one) first and happens to have some connectivity.

Totally agree on the aesthetics, this is really pushing into the "fashion" area of personal products. I could see a really beautiful design with maybe a stainless outer band (brushed, polished or black), possibly white or black options for the face (like current devices), but people _love_ to customize, so if I were Apple, I'd definitely make sure the design was "friendly" to cases/covers.

Build in mount points, or even make the product out of the box be modular ... heck, I could even see it coming in a box, on one side is the core electronics/face, the other side the bezel/case, band in the front. Apple offers colored (anodized) aluminum bezels/cases, and it opens up a whole 3rd party market.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Hmmm to me a watch is more about fashion. I don't really understand why I would want a smart watch when I have a smart phone sitting in my pocket that does the same things better and with a bigger screen.
The only benefit would be for working out and it having bluetooth or some type of wireless audio and have storage so I don't have to carry my phone on me. also relaying and tracking heart rate would be handy.

Still probably not worth what I'd have to spend on it I'll just keep using my phone for music when I work out. Its not that heavy. :p

A few years ago people would have said "I don't understand why I would want a smart phone when I have a laptop sitting on my desk that does the same things better and with a bigger screen." ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.