Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvlaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
I have a Canon S100 that I would like to sell so that I can upgrade to the S110. I understand that there is much of a difference between the two, however my right hand is paralyzed and being able to trip the shutter via a touch screen would be a LOT easier that reaching over to the other side of the camera. That said, I was wondering if anyone could offer advice as to how I can get the most out of my S100.

Thanks in advance

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Boy, good luck in getting a reasonable deal - my brother has sold several of my old cameras on eBay probably for 20% or less their 'new' purchase price. I have 2 digital cameras at the moment, and one is a Canon S21S (probably paid $500+ new) - selling on Amazon for $600+ - looking at their used ones, just over $100 seems to be the best rate (for one that still works!) - also checked eBay and the prices are quite divergent, although I doubt that I'd get much over $100 (so again 20% or less the new price). Hope that you can get more than I've received in the past - :)

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Boy, good luck in getting a reasonable deal - my brother has sold several of my old cameras on eBay probably for 20% or less their 'new' purchase price. I have 2 digital cameras at the moment, and one is a Canon S21S (probably paid $500+ new) - selling on Amazon for $600+ - looking at their used ones, just over $100 seems to be the best rate (for one that still works!) - also checked eBay and the prices are quite divergent, although I doubt that I'd get much over $100 (so again 20% or less the new price). Hope that you can get more than I've received in the past - :)

Depends on the product. A newer camera will sell for much more than an older camera. A demand product will sell for much more than one not in demand.

A few months ago, I sold a Panasonic GH2 for $600 used that I paid $800 for when new.

I sold a Nikon scanner for $4100 used last summer, but only paid $1800 for it new in 2008.

Your 20% estimate is reasonable for most older items though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ebay, Craigslist and buying/selling sub forum of Dpreview's forums are places I look to buy stuff.

Craigslist is great but its audience may be limited.
eBay - you have to deal with fees, and potential winners of the auction not paying.
Dprieview - I haven't executed any purchases there but I think its generally a good place. I'm a fairly active member at that site.

We here at MacRumors have our own marketplace forum but access to that is allowed after 6 months of membership and 250 posts.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I'll suggest you sell on eBay too. I don't think your camera is desirable enough to sell on the camera forums, even though it's a good camera.

From my brief check they are $230 to buy brand new with free shipping out of Hong Kong. So be realistic with what you ask, I'd start at somewhere around $180 plus postage. Did you have an extended warranty? That would help it sell quick.

Hope it goes smoothly for you, I've never had any problems selling on fleabay, buying is another thing, especially where it involves free post out of China and they won't do airmail for me... I'm waiting on a laptop battery that just shows as sent when you check the tracking. :rolleyes:

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
For Canon I use the Canon forums or craigslist. Craiglist has actually been pretty good. Sold a 40D, 7D, 24-70, and 580 EX II on craigslist locally. Just be aware that you might get jacked so you need to handle your own security as appropriate.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
For Canon I use the Canon forums or craigslist. Craiglist has actually been pretty good. Sold a 40D, 7D, 24-70, and 580 EX II on craigslist locally. Just be aware that you might get jacked so you need to handle your own security as appropriate.

I too have used Craigslist.

What I have learned to do is to meet the person in a very public place. Accept cash only. Also good to have someone with you. Let the person see and try the camera and agree to buy it. Deal done and walk away. If you have any worries about warranties etc., prepare a transfer of ownership paper in duplicate that both of you can sign. Just realize if you sign, you are giving out your personal information. The latter should not be offered up by you but something the other person should bring up. If the buyer does not, skip it entirely.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I too have used Craigslist.

What I have learned to do is to meet the person in a very public place. Accept cash only. Also good to have someone with you. Let the person see and try the camera and agree to buy it. Deal done and walk away. If you have any worries about warranties etc., prepare a transfer of ownership paper in duplicate that both of you can sign. Just realize if you sign, you are giving out your personal information. The latter should not be offered up by you but something the other person should bring up. If the buyer does not, skip it entirely.

Public place is the way to go.

What I used to do was have buyers meet me at my (former) shooting range (since closed) that was easy to get to (close to freeway, open to public). Safest transactions ever.

marvlaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Thank you everyone for your help! I posted to eBay so we will see how that goes. If it doesn't sell I will try these other options. Thanks again!

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Public place is the way to go.

What I used to do was have buyers meet me at my (former) shooting range (since closed) that was easy to get to (close to freeway, open to public). Safest transactions ever.

I bought my MBP off Craigslist. Met the kid at the police station for the transaction since his step-dad was a policeman. We both felt quite safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.