Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Looking at all of the iOS 7 mockups, I HATE the idea of flat. Granted I've only been using iOS for a few months (been using OS X and iPod classic for a little while), but I like the current UI. It's different from Windows phone 8 which I hate the look of and much easier to navigate than android or blackberry 10. Flat just doesn't seem right for Apple. OS X has looked much the same for years. What's wrong with keeping the same overall look for iOS? Hate on me if you will, but I like the way things look now. Improvements to Maps and other software improvements would be acceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Bernard

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
you should honestly just wait until Monday. we have no idea what it'll look like.

I think the consistency is the main thing. Apple's apps are all over the place. I think they're trying to make them similar on OS X and now do the same for iOS.

that new WWDC App is definitely an indicator of what we're about to see for iOS 7.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Looking at all of the iOS 7 mockups, I HATE the idea of flat. Granted I've only been using iOS for a few months (been using OS X and iPod classic for a little while), but I like the current UI. It's different from Windows phone 8 which I hate the look of and much easier to navigate than android or blackberry 10. Flat just doesn't seem right for Apple. OS X has looked much the same for years. What's wrong with keeping the same overall look for iOS? Hate on me if you will, but I like the way things look now. Improvements to Maps and other software improvements would be acceptable.

I have no problem with current design. But I LOVE flat design more. There are lots of good apps with flat design. I personally love all Google's app, i.e. Google Maps, Google Play Musics app, the new Gmail app... I also like some Windows 8 apps with flat design, i.e. the finance app and news app.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Having used my phone in many non-ideal situations, like bright sunlight, dirty screen and backlight set way down, that extra detail can be helpful. The Flat designs look nice when your on an ideal screen but how well do they handle less than ideal situations.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
im kind of indifferent, however i kinda like it the way it is now. im also usually against change in general, so i could really care less what it looks like in the end.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hate on me if you will, but I like the way things look now. Improvements to Maps and other software improvements would be acceptable.

Who says you won't get both. Heck some of this flattening, if it happens, could improve the code. By reducing it. Which may be a good thing.

I agree if they spent all their time changing the look and left in bugs like Forstall did with iOS 6 then shame on them. But I won't hate until I see the final product. Because I suspect it isn't as big a change as some think

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010

Let's not jump to the conclusion that flat = Windows 8's look. I can practically guarantee that iOS 7 won't look like Windows Phone. Flat can be great. I like the iPhone music app, and it looks pretty flat. The games Dots and LetterPress both are fantastic. They are flat, but extremely functional. Don't worry yourself until Monday rolls around. If you hate it AFTER you've seen things, then you can complain :)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
OS X has looked much the same for years. What's wrong with keeping the same overall look for iOS?

Given that the Mac OS has gotten MUCH flatter over its lifetime, I don't find your arguments very convincing.

os_change.jpg

red41

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Does anyone else hate that people complain about iOS being stale and in need of a refresh, but when Apple actually announces a refresh everyone complains that they don't want it to change?

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Does anyone else hate that people complain about iOS being stale and in need of a refresh, but when Apple actually announces a refresh everyone complains that they don't want it to change?

Person: Dodge needs to redo the Ford Mustang..it's outdated and boring...

Ford: Ok, here's the all newly designed hot Mustang!

Person: Gross, I want the old one...

Ford: ....

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Maybe that's why you think OSX has "looked the same for years".

Hey, Microsoft didn't make drastic changes to the look of Windows until 8, and look how many people are loathe to upgrade from 7. Heck, some people didn't like that iTunes 11 hid the sidebar automatically.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Hey, Microsoft didn't make drastic changes to the look of Windows until 8, and look how many people are loathe to upgrade from 7. Heck, some people didn't like that iTunes 11 hid the sidebar automatically.

No - people hate Windows 8 because of the UI is awful! Where is the start button!? :rolleyes:

whocaresit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010
You're not alone. There is some staunch opposition against Flat UI by Lord Ivy from the Loyalists! :eek:

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013

You use the word "hate" way too much to be taken seriously. You haven't even seen iOS 7 yet - chill out and do something different to take your mind off the "hate".

whocaresit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010
Except you have no clue what you're talking about. You don't even know what you're opposing.

Based on what's known so far from the leaks and rumors: there will be no textures (linen, diagonal stripes). No gloss. No more great looking dock. Buttons don't look as defined. Tab bars are flatter and not indented when selected.

To sum up, every app looks plain black and white with some colors sprinkled here and there. (Like Passbook). Notes app won't look like sticky notes.. No more text bubbles in messages app. General lack of liveliness in UIs.

I'm fairly certain people know what they're talking about when referring to Flatter UIs.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I'm VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY certain of one thing about iOS 7, with 100% confidence...

Noone has seen it yet, NOONE. All the guessing is pointless, and all the people saying they are "certain of one thing..." are only certain to be disappointed, and to be handed a nice wet flannel to wipe the egg from their faces.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Based on what's known so far from the leaks and rumors: there will be no textures (linen, diagonal stripes). No gloss. No more great looking dock. Buttons don't look as defined. Tab bars are flatter and not indented when selected.

To sum up, every app looks plain black and white with some colors sprinkled here and there. (Like Passbook). Notes app won't look like sticky notes.. No more text bubbles in messages app. General lack of liveliness in UIs.

I'm fairly certain people know what they're talking about when referring to Flatter UIs.

Take a xanax and realize that everything you're saying is based on rumors and speculation. Wait and see the OS before complaining about what it looks like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.