Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report earlier this week that suggested Apple's iAd staff would be responsible for securing advertising deals to support Apple's upcoming streaming music service, AdAge has confirmed the rumor and released new details on how the upcoming service, dubbed "iRadio," will function.

AdAge claims that iRadio, which Apple plans to offer to users for free, will incorporate both audio ads and standard mobile ads, all of which are highly targeted. Numerous reports on iRadio have suggested that Apple has tried to negotiate lower rates and more flexibility than has been offered to competitors like Pandora, leveraging its advertising reach and its iTunes store.
Selling interstitial audio ads - ones that play between songs - will allow Apple to offer the service free to users as is typical with most streaming music services. One music industry executive familiar with the negotiations between Apple and the major record labels said the terms of iRadio are more favorable for record labels than other streaming services because iRadio is expected to drive more song downloads.

iRadio users will be able to purchase the song they are listening to through iTunes. Syncing with iTunes Match ($24.99 per year) will allow users to own those songs forever, keep them in Apple's cloud-based storage service and access them on any iOS device. However, the service will not allow users to search for and play a specific song on-demand, like with Spotify.
While 70% of current iAd revenue is given to developers who utilize the service, Apple will be able to keep 90% of revenue from audio ads, sharing just 10% with music companies. Presumably, audio iRadio ads will function similarly to those offered by Pandora, playing in between songs.

pandoraads.jpg
An example of the ads found in the Pandora app
Apple will also be able to charge higher advertising rates than competitors like Pandora, as Pandora's ads can only be targeted to users based on sex, area code, and listening habits, while Apple can target users based on several other factors, including entertainment tastes that include movie, television, and app preferences.

Last week, it was reported that Apple is considering launching an ad exchange, possibly within iAd, which is in line with the advertising information provided by AdAge. With an ad exchange, Apple could allow advertisers to target Apple users based on a number of data factors that Apple has collected about its customers. Companies like Google and Yahoo currently operate ad exchanges and an Apple exchange could greatly increase the popularity of its iAd program.

According to the latest iRadio rumors, Apple is pushing to complete deals with record labels in order to launch the streaming music service at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, which is scheduled to begin on June 10.

Article Link: New iRadio Ad Details Surface Ahead of Expected Launch Next Week

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Has everyone forgot that next week is a developer conference?

Apple hold a music event EVERY September or Ocrober, where they announce, with other things, a new version of iTunes.

If they are going to announce a music streaming service, it will be then.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I have never used a streaming service, but I think that not being able to find a song you want to play at anytime sucks.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Hope it isn't restricted to USA at first, I would like to check it out (UK here).

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Can't pull up a song you want? Screw that. And I hope there is a way to opt out of ads for a fee?

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
Ads are not a good customer service, when I'm listening to music I don't want to here an ad. Had hopes for this service but seems to be disappointing. Still, these are surmounts so will wait another 5 days

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
that's just great...

another button for a service I (don't use) and won't be able to remove. I know I know, I can tuck it in to a folder, but I happen to be a neat freak :D

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
so its just like TERRESTRIAL radio :confused:

and thats already a DEAD industry

where's the value benefit for the users ?

why switch from Spotify ?

why launch a stillborn "me too" product?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Thanks. I think if I go streaming it will be either spotify or more likely google's offering.

No ads. And with Google's offering - I can take ALL of my music with me + their library. And play whatever song I want - when I wants - on any device. more versatile. Less ads. And well with $7.99 (google) or $9.99 (spotify).

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
so its just like TERRESTRIAL radio :confused:

and thats already a DEAD industry

where's the value benefit for the users ?

why switch from Spotify ?

why launch a stillborn "me too" product?

benefit... well, if it's free... then you give up a little and pay nothing for it. So nothing wrong with saving a bit of money imo.

Still I don't stream so it won't benefit me. I happen to work in a building that covers up any glimpse of reception that if I want to listen to music it has be on my device already.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
No control over the music, no playlists, AND ads? WHAT A DEAL I'M ALL OVER IT.

This is freaking incredible.

Spotify Free (available in lots of countries) gives you 100% control over the music for the ads and social network integration to boot. This is just heartbreaking to hear unfold from the company that once revolutionized the digital music industry. :(

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Dear Apple- I don't pay for ads, I pay for music. So unless this is a service where I can pay $x.xx/month ad-free, and simply be able to one-click buy any song, I won't be anywhere near this. I probably won't be near this anyway, as I own the music I like and don't listen to anything out nowadays.

But yeah, I don't pay for ads.

Bryan

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Ads are not a good customer service, when I'm listening to music I don't want to here [sic] an ad.

Would you rather pay for the music or hear an ad? There are many options for you if you'd rather not hear ads. Ads are a small price to pay to be able to listen to a lot of different songs I don't own (have "digital rights" to). Apple might even include an option to pay and not hear ads.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Would you rather pay for the music or hear an ad? There are many options for you if you'd rather not hear ads. Ads are a small price to pay to be able to listen to a lot of different songs I don't own (have "digital rights" to). Apple might even include an option to pay and not hear ads.

There are also several options to listen for free WITH ads. I think that's the point some are raising. Why iRadio?

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Here's to hope they'll offer a paid option.

I for one hate ads, and if they add other optional functionality with a paid version too, I'd be more than happy to pay.

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
Dear Apple- I don't pay for ads, I pay for music. So unless this is a service where I can pay $x.xx/month ad-free, and simply be able to one-click buy any song, I won't be anywhere near this. I probably won't be near this anyway, as I own the music I like and don't listen to anything out nowadays.

But yeah, I don't pay for ads.

Bryan

dude, read the first sentence of the second paragraph... "plans to offer it for free"

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Wow, this sounds really disappointing. It sounds like a Spotify with most features stripped off, leaving just the radio functionality.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
But wait! Where are all the Google haters? Oh, that's right, when Apple uses your information to offer free services, only then is it ok. :p

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
However, the service will not allow users to search for and play a specific song on-demand, like with Spotify.

Oh. Ok then...

/ends any interest.

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
so much animosity...

... for something that apple plans to offer for free ... are we really that spoiled?

I don't complain if something is given to me for free, if I don't want to use it, I don't... simple.

I am though still pissed that we might end up with yet another icon that can't be removed :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.