Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new Mac Pro model, expected later this year, is "something really different" according to a video professional who says he spoke with the Mac Pro product manager.

Writing on the RedUser.net forum, Andrew Baird says he spoke to Mac Pro project manager Douglas Brooks on the phone after emailing CEO Tim Cook with his concerns about the lack of a new professional tower from Apple over the past few years.

Baird told MacRumors that the call didn't include any specific details about when the new machine would be released, nor its specifications -- however, he was assured several times that the new Mac Pro would be worth the wait. Brooks told him that the machine would be released later this year.

mac_pro_2010_side_top_half.jpg
For what it's worth - a couple of months ago I received a call from Douglas Brooks, Apples project manager for the new Mac Pro to address my concerns about the new machine. Obviously he didn't tell me anything about the new MP, but asked me what I wanted to see. I told him expandability for extra graphics cards support, and memory expansion were at the top of my list amongst other things. His reply was simple:

"You are going to be really glad that you waited [to buy a new tower]. We are doing something really different here and I think you're going to be very excited when you see what we've been up to. I can't wait to show this off".

That conversation gave me enough confidence to wait for the new machine. I'm looking forward to the announcement. Hopefully the wait will be worth it.
Somewhat corroborating Baird's phone call, Lou Borella -- administrator of the 'We Want a New Macpro' Facebook group -- wrote on the page that he heard the new professional Mac would be "heavily reliant on Thunderbolt" with "no internal expandability", and would have support for dual-GPU's and no FireWire or optical drive.

In mid-2012, after a minor update to the Mac Pro was announced at WWDC, Tim Cook confirmed to a fan that new Mac Pros were coming in 2013, which was later reiterated by an Apple spokesman. It has also been rumored that the new Mac Pro would be the first Apple computer in years to be 'Made in the USA'.

Article Link: Apple Planning 'Something Really Different' for New Mac Pro

Arggg2010

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
All good news, but I think we can realistically say that this will be the last upgrade before it's killed off.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I certainly hope this "something really different" refers to a Mac Pro chassis that is fully configurable and upgradable, with the ability to replace and upgrade each main component, instead of having to buy a whole Mac every other year.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
There's very little in way of a tower that will be "really" different. Seriously. Sounds like an overhype.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
I have been waiting for a long time to break out the credit card for this.
Finally.... ;)

Invisible Elf

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2011
New Mac Pro is going to be a standalone thunderbolt device with integrated gpu's, memory etc, and is going to require another mac to function. You heard it here first guys

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Hopefully this'll be great and enough to satisfy the people asking for a new Mac Pro for the past millenia. I feel sorry for them each time a Mac Announcement happens and theres no Pro :D

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I wonder when the last Mac Pro was purchased. Who would ever buy such an outdated product with an old price tag?

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
All good news, but I think we can realistically say that this will be the last upgrade before it's killed off.

That doesn't seem realistic at all! If they have spent resources making "something really different" it makes no sense to kill it off after its one and only appearance.

Boris A

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Sounds like a small powerful machine with support for external GPUs and HDDs via Thunderbolt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.