Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

aperture_lens_icon.jpg
Apple today released Aperture 3.4.5, bringing fixes for several issues related to the handling of memory card and camera import and handling, as well as general stability improvements.
What's New in Version 3.4.5

- Addresses an issue that could cause Aperture to quit unexpectedly when deleting items from a camera or memory card after import
- Memory cards are now ejected correctly when using the Delete Items option after import
- Includes stability improvements
Aperture 3.4.5 is a 523.15 MB download and requires OS X 10.7.5 or 10.8.2 or later, along with Aperture 3. Apple has also made the updated version available in the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Releases Aperture 3.4.5 with Import and Memory Card Bug Fixes

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Basically, yes and then some. If the darn thing' wasn't so slow I would come back as an active customer. It is very easy to use the basic functions but Lightroom continues to be on top. Honestly, I would like Aperture to my fav photo app but Apple just doesn't provide enough support.

Lightroom? Be ready for a $50/month subscription plan coming to you with the next major release. And if you stop to pay? Sorry, no more access to your photos. I guess you could pull them out of the file structure.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I hope Aperture will get a major update soon. It started feeling left behind in terms of attractive features with Lightroom 4, and even more so with LR 5 and its new editing tools.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Lightroom? Be ready for a $50/month subscription plan coming to you with the next major release. And if you stop to pay? Sorry, no more access to your photos. I guess you could pull them out of the file structure.

For clarification, Adobe has advised that LR5 will remain available as a separate purchase outside of the Creative Cloud, but also advised that CC members will get added features that retail owners won't. Also, Adobe was silent as to future releases of LR

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010

One of my photographer collegues assures me that Adobe has said they will not do this with Lightroom. I myself use Aperture, so I couldn't care less what they do. Although secretly I wish they would.. then I can stop listening to him brag about how much better Lightroom is all the time. Stupid Apple update non-schedule. :mad:

BobZap

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Is anyone else not able to export and sync to flickr since yahoo overhauled it a few weeks ago? i was hoping the next aperture update would fix that.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Is aperture basically beefed up iPhoto?

It's a much better photo app that happens to compatible with existing iPhoto libraries. iPhoto became unusably slow once my collection grew past 100GB. Aperture handled that same collection without breaking a sweat. I switched to Aperture mainly because I started shooting with a DSLR, but it's so much better than iPhoto I should have switched a long time ago.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I've used Lightroom for quite a while for all my photo editing needs but would anyone recommend Aperture over Lightroom? Advantages/disadvantages?

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Is anyone else not able to export and sync to flickr since yahoo overhauled it a few weeks ago? i was hoping the next aperture update would fix that.

It works for me.... I was uploading images from Aperture to Flickr just last weekend without any problems. Perhaps you should check your settings with Flickr in Aperture.... something might have gotten glitched when Yahoo updated Flickr.

mtfbwy

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005

Lightroom continues on as a standalone product. I don't trust Apple enough to use Aperture considering what they've done in the past to the pro users (Final Cut Pro).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Is aperture basically beefed up iPhoto?

Basically - no. It is more a professional app whereas iPhoto is a toy.

I don't think it's fair to iPhoto to call it a toy. Such connotation suggests it has no practical use at all.

I also think it speaks too highly of Aperture to call it a pro app. Once a upon a time it was, but Lightroom has eclipsed it to the point most pros have switched over. Aperture now is at best "pro-sumer".

But let's get to brass tacks. iPhoto is primarily a photo library with basic editing capabilities, including most RAW files. Aperture is primarily a RAW photo editor with photo library capabilities. They are distinct from one another even if some aspects overlap.

Even the most entry level DSLR shoots RAW. Aperture isn't that sophisticated or expensive that any joe off the street couldn't figure it out in 2 seconds.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I don't think it's fair to iPhoto to call it a toy. Such connotation suggests it has no practical use at all.

I also think it speaks too highly of Aperture to call it a pro app. Once a upon a time it was, but Lightroom has eclipsed it to the point most pros have switched over. Aperture now is at best "pro-sumer".

But let's get to brass tacks. iPhoto is primarily a photo library with basic editing capabilities, including most RAW files. Aperture is primarily a RAW photo editor with photo library capabilities. They are distinct from one another even if some aspects overlap.

Even the most entry level DSLR shoots RAW. Aperture isn't that sophisticated or expensive that any joe off the street couldn't figure it out in 2 seconds.

While I agree that Lightroom > Aperture at this point, I would argue that both applications are prosumer by nature and not due to any lag in feature parity. RAW processing and photography is gradually becoming more and more prosumer each day. Unlike video production, the ceiling as far as features and complexity go plateaus much sooner. Hence, the same application is appropriate for both a professional and prosumer.

M

Mr.damien

Sadly even if I am paying for Lightroom (CC user), I just can't use it. The interface is like it's made in flash, I just can't pass that. Feels like an App of 90s...

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
hm I love Aperture for the general workflow and have all my photos in there, but since I bought a Canon 6D this year, it became near - useless and I had to start using lightroom, because the raw processor in Aperture RUINS the pictures out of the 6d, while in LR they look perfect. The denoise algorythm in Aperture is just so bad in comparison. It's really frustrating, I wish they would update that instead of forcing me to start two separate libraries.. :(

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I love the smell of FUD in the morning.

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
It's a much better photo app that happens to compatible with existing iPhoto libraries. iPhoto became unusably slow once my collection grew past 100GB. Aperture handled that same collection without breaking a sweat. I switched to Aperture mainly because I started shooting with a DSLR, but it's so much better than iPhoto I should have switched a long time ago.
My iPhoto Library is about 400GB and performance is perfectly acceptable on my 2010 iMac. Looking forward to getting a 1TB SSD & it should scream. Aperture performance for me is slower than iPhoto, though I've only recently started using it & don't know all the ins & outs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.