Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you agree with the post?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
This seems to be perhaps the most authentic way of telling what the iOS 7 default stock app icons will look like
based on the recently released official WWDC 2013 app icon before the new design is unveiled next Monday.

8Ia440.png

:apple:

>> UPDATE:

It looks like transparency is even more prominent now and is looking to be another key factor in iOS 7's
design based on the newly released WWDC 2013 banners. Compare/Contrast:

xGyK8T.png

________________________________​

This mock up is based on all the given resources both Apple and respective rumors have provided [such as]...

• Flat Design
  • Subtle Grandients
  • Color Consistency
  • etc

Additional Input Relative to Icons/Home Screen:

Dynamic Icons
The Calendar icon has always been dynamic, so why not make the Weather and Clock icons dynamic as well? Perhaps even make the Photos icon dynamic, showing the last picture taken in the frame. Also an option: make the visualizer in the Music icon animate when music is playing. Dynamic icons would make the homescreen feel more alive. App Store apps still only can have static icons.

Dock
Give iOS the same Mountain Lion Dock treatment to keep things consistent.

Notification Center
Show a badge with the amount of unread notifications in the top-right corner of the status bar, next to the battery icon. In Notification Center itself, get rid of the heavy linen texture. Make Notification groups collapsable by tapping the header.

Questions and comments are appreciated! I've also included a simple yes/no poll to see how many agree/disagree with this concept. By agreeing with the post you are agreeing to the simple idea that the layers of colors on the WWDC logo will match their respective apps and be applied much like they were on the official WWDC app icon. I tried my best to give a rough illustration of this, but your vote should be based on this idea rather than the rough icons themselves. It'll be interesting to reference back to this next Monday to see if we had the right idea!

>> UPDATE: I've modified the icons based on feedback, let me know what you think!

*The icons are provided to only illustrate an idea of the concept and
are not strictly meant to be accurate.

Last edited:

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
You might be right. So the other colours could be..

Light Blue = App Store
Purple = iTunes Store
Yellow = Notes?
Dark Blue = Mail?

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
There's no shading in the WWDC app icon, so why did you add it to the other icons? I believe you're on the right track though, but no shadows :)

Bonestle

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Darwin
There's no shading in the WWDC app icon, so why did you add it to the other icons? I believe you're on the right track though, but no shadows :)

I can see shading (or at least gradient) right there in the icons, where are you looking?
Nice work, OP!

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I think the color saturation in your mock-ups is way too low. Also, corners for the calendar app should be rounded.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I can see shading (or at least gradient) right there in the icons, where are you looking?
Nice work, OP!

Look at the mock iMessage icon, you'll see that the text bubble casts a shadow. The apple in the actual WWDC icon does not.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Why are there hints of grey at the bottom of the icons? That doesn't look good at all.

Look at the mock iMessage icon, you'll see that the text bubble casts a shadow. The apple in the actual WWDC icon does not.

I applied the shadow based on http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/ios7icons.jpg, perhaps it should have been more of a "glow".

I think the color saturation in your mock-ups is way too low. Also, corners for the calendar app should be rounded.

There's no shading in the WWDC app icon, so why did you add it to the other icons?

I believe there are subtle gradients and shading on the icon's color, although they most likely aren't around the white symbols in the icons like I previously applied. It's most likely more of a "glow" or at least more subtle. As I made this in Photoshop, applying no shadow awful to me at the time, so it's probably a bit more exaggerated than what I first imagined.

Like I said at the bottom of my post, the icons are provided to only illustrate an idea of the concept and are not strictly meant to be accurate because that's not the point. We won't know until Monday. My concept is only referencing the color choices to the existing icons and what they might be applied to. I made this in about 10 minutes, I realize the shadowing and gradients aren't perfect, they're only rough mockups, but I appreciate all of your feedback! I hope you all get the idea that I'm pointing out here, and appreciate the interesting conversation this is starting.

Anyway, by agreeing with the post you are agreeing to the simple idea that the layers of colors on the WWDC logo will match their respective apps and be applied much like they were on the official WWDC app icon. I tried my best to give a rough illustration of this, but your vote should be based on this idea rather than the rough icons themselves.

Last but not least...KEPP CALM?!?!?! Impossible. :p

Last edited:

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
While I understand that you're trying to mock up the "official iOS7 Icons," the thread title is pretty misleading. People are going to think these are the real icons... which is exactly how hoax stories get started.

...Just sayin'.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
While I understand that you're trying to mock up the "official iOS7 Icons," the thread title is pretty misleading. People are going to think these are the real icons... which is exactly how hoax stories get started.

...Just sayin'.

It's really just the first title that came to mind, no hoaxes here. Just my idea of what the official iOS icons will be based off of. I see what you're saying though, I'd think the same thing if I just glanced at the icons and replied. The underlying details are in the context of the post. Thanks for the input. :)

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
>> update

I've modified the icons based on all of your great feedback, and I think the visual idea is a bit more on target now, although not perfect (because we just don't know yet! :D). Let me know what you think!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I've modified the icons based on all of your great feedback, and I think the visual idea is a bit more on target now, although not perfect (because we just don't know yet! :D). Let me know what you think!
Much better! This looks really nice :)

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
>> UPDATE: I've modified the icons based on feedback, let me know what you think!

*The icons are provided to only illustrate an idea of the concept and
are not strictly meant to be accurate.

Wow...those look great! I would welcome that change with open arms! Clean, simple, and the colors really pop. I like it!

It's something small, but I really can't wait to see some of these icons get a total makeover...particularly the Photos, Mail, and App Sore icons...They look dated and crappy, IMO.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
It looks like transparency is even more prominent now and is looking to be another key factor in iOS 7's design based on the newly released WWDC 2013 banners:

xGyK8T.png

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
I like the look of those. The transparent icons are giving me a sort of iMac G3 vibe, too.

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
These look great, but lets pray they don't go with that obnoxious iTunes/Music color.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
I like the look of those. The transparent icons are giving me a sort of iMac G3 vibe, too.

Yeah! To this day I'm still in love with the design of the iMac G3. I think it still defines the Apple of this era in a way.

Also...
"We made the buttons on the screen look so good you'll want to lick them."
-Steve Jobs

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
If I'm honest, I don't think there has been a point for Apple to have a Music app and an iTunes app, on desktops iTunes is able to play music and be able to make purchases, I'd quite like to see them get rid of music and put it into the iTunes app, with a shortcut to the store

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
If I'm honest, I don't think there has been a point for Apple to have a Music app and an iTunes app, on desktops iTunes is able to play music and be able to make purchases, I'd quite like to see them get rid of music and put it into the iTunes app, with a shortcut to the store

I agree 100%. iBooks has their store right in the app, so why not iTunes. The Music app, previously called the iPod app was conceived at a time where bringing the iTunes store to a mobile platform was completely new. As time progressed, it doesn't seem very intuitive anymore, and there needs to be a change in these things to make sense once again.

I'd also like to point out that on a personal computer iTunes puts all its stores under the App, where as on mobile it's separate. Perhaps a new "iStore" would work better and make more sense (think "Play Store") rather than consolidating it all under one app. Although this would create another problem that iTunes original solved - combining the player with the store. This method would separate that, so perhaps integrate the iStore into iTunes on the desktop. Better yet, integrate the respective stores to their respective apps on all platforms...oh I should stop babbling now before I'm tempted to make a concept. ...ideas ideas :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.