Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DianeK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
I am a newbie so have no idea what the difference is between regular 10.8.4 download and combo 10.8.4. Can someone explain because I see in some threads that the combo is being recommended but I still don't understand.
Thanks
Diane

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....the regular update will only upgrade from the most recent to the newest as in 10.8.3 to 10.8.4. The combo will update any 10.8.x version up to 10.8.4. The combo is handy if you are doing a new fresh install as it gets you up to current in one step. It's also handy in those rare instances when something goes awry as it quite often fixes little odd nags that may crop up from time to time....oh yeah!

DianeK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Thank you Duff-Man.
I only upgraded to 10.8.3 from Snow Leopard just this week and have been having no end of dropped wi-fi problems so was thinking of trying the 10.8.4 update to see if that helps. But from what I have been reading here, 10.8.4 hasn't fixed the wi-fi issue. Wi-fi was rock solid on my iMac with SL, but then my iMac came new with SL as its OS so it would have been a squeaky clean install. I am seriously considering taking it into my local mac dealer and having them wipe my drive, reinstall Snow Leopard and restore my data from the Time Capsule. I cannot accept this flakey wi-fi issue. The only reason I upgraded (and I say "upgrade" sarcastically) is because the new Lightroom 5 that is set to be released won't run on SL. But right now, I'd be happier with my Lightroom 4 and stable wi-fi on SL.
Sorry, just had to vent!
Diane

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
But from what I have been reading here, 10.8.4 hasn't fixed the wi-fi issue.
While there may have been WiFi issues with 10.8.3 and earlier, you can't really rely on reports here. There are plenty of posts about people having problems with all sorts of things that you probably don't have a problem with.
Every computer is unique once it's been used for a bit.

Try the upgrade. See if it fixes your issue. THEN decide whether it may be possible to remedy it while keeping ML, or not.

DianeK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
While there may have been WiFi issues with 10.8.3 and earlier, you can't really rely on reports here. There are plenty of posts about people having problems with all sorts of things that you probably don't have a problem with.
Every computer is unique once it's been used for a bit.

Try the upgrade. See if it fixes your issue. THEN decide whether it may be possible to remedy it while keeping ML, or not.

Thank you for calmer thoughts. Just wondering: when I upgraded from SL to ML 10.8.3 I can't remember if there was a combo option and if there was I know I didn't select it. Does this mean I am missing parts of 10.8.1 & 2 in my system now?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
No. If you updated to 10.8.3, then you got everything in the 10.8.3 app.

If you had installed from SL to 10.8.0, then the combo updater would give you everything needed to go to 10.8.4 in one go, without downloading each updater to each point increase.

DianeK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Thank you for your prompt reply.
One of the fixes I read about (and now cannot find the thread) suggested creating a new Location in System Preferences->Network. But when I tried this I couldn't connect to the network because it said it didn't have an IP address. There was nothing in the instructions about assigning an IP address -just said create a new location. When i went back to Automatic instead of the New Location I could connect. You wouldn't happen to know anything about this would you? I work developing online course material so this dropped wi-fi problem has basically incapacitated my business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.