Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
I got a good deal on a 16gb Mini at Best Buy for $300 total.

I got another good deal on a 32gb iPad 4 for $450 on Amazon.

Is the full-sized iPad worth the extra cash? I haven't had an iPad in a while, but i plan on letting my 4-year-old use this as well and I can't keep both :)

Seems that the full-sized iPad basically is a better screen, more powerful, but thicker and heavier.

I'll tell you what I would like to do (coming from Nexus 7). I like to bring the tablet to church to use as my Bible during sermons and class and for note taking. I'd like to browse the web, edit a few photos when there's a need, play popular games (nothing 3D heavy)...I use all the Google apps (Gmail, Now, etc) I assume it'll be the same on both.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
iPad mini is good for you to carry to church. full size iPad at church might be distract too much during sermon I guess. You got to be more discreet with mini. :apple:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Is the full-sized iPad worth the extra cash?
Only you can answer that question for yourself. Worth is always highly subjective.

I'll tell you what I would like to do (coming from Nexus 7). I like to bring the tablet to church to use as my Bible during sermons and class and for note taking. I'd like to browse the web, edit a few photos when there's a need, play popular games (nothing 3D heavy)...I use all the Google apps (Gmail, Now, etc) I assume it'll be the same on both.
None of this really narrows it down. You need to clarify where you draw the line and what your priorities are.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Yea I guess I'm trying to decide if a little heavier and bigger iPad with better screen and faster is better for me than a smaller and lighter one.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I got a 4th gen and I don't know about you, but typing on the thing during church (notes) take too much effort. I never bring it to church now, I just use my iphone. Then when i get home all my notes are synced and I can read using my ipad then.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
I got a 4th gen and I don't know about you, but typing on the thing during church (notes) take too much effort. I never bring it to church now, I just use my iphone. Then when i get home all my notes are synced and I can read using my ipad then.

I'd say this is my main use for it really. It's a must. I was used to typing on the Nexus 7 and it was great. I did the Nexus 10 for maybe a few weeks and it was fine but I found the aspect ratio not great.

And I don't know if the display on the Mini is good enough where I'm going to be able to use it well for this purpose.

What I'd like to do is flip back and forth between the Bible app and Google Keep or Notes, or whatever I can use on the iPad.

----------

What took too much effort with it?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'd say this is my main use for it really. It's a must. I was used to typing on the Nexus 7 and it was great. I did the Nexus 10 for maybe a few weeks and it was fine but I found the aspect ratio not great.

And I don't know if the display on the Mini is good enough where I'm going to be able to use it well for this purpose.

What I'd like to do is flip back and forth between the Bible app and Google Keep or Notes, or whatever I can use on the iPad.

----------

What took too much effort with it?

i find that taking out an iphone using the bible app on that and switching between that and the notes app is sufficient. the added screen real estate on the ipad adds no real benefit really. especially not worth it considering you would then have to balance the ipad on your legs awkwardly and type. this is in comparison to simply typing on the iphone, which is already natural to me.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
i find that taking out an iphone using the bible app on that and switching between that and the notes app is sufficient. the added screen real estate on the ipad adds no real benefit really. especially not worth it considering you would then have to balance the ipad on your legs awkwardly and type. this is in comparison to simply typing on the iphone, which is already natural to me.

I'm not a churchgoer, but I have to agree with this. Once I started consciously trying to use my iPhone for whatever I could, I realized that actually it's extremely convenience and extremely capable. So much so that an iPad mini doesn't make much sense to me anymore because the screen isn't big enough. I have an iPhone when I'm out and about and an iPad when I just want that big screen for movies or for books.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm not a churchgoer, but I have to agree with this. Once I started consciously trying to use my iPhone for whatever I could, I realized that actually it's extremely convenience and extremely capable. So much so that an iPad mini doesn't make much sense to me anymore because the screen isn't big enough. I have an iPhone when I'm out and about and an iPad when I just want that big screen for movies or for books.

yeah, the iphone is for out of the home, and the ipad is mainly for at home (it's my main computer now)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Have the iPad 3 and a mini, the only time I notice a difference in screen quality is when I play games -- the colors of the graphics, especially on retina optimized games, are much clearer and brighter on a retina screen. Otherwise, the mini screen is fine. It doesn't bother me as far as reading texts.

The one thing I don't like about the mini is that the smaller screen size means that the touch targets, like keys and buttons, are smaller, and I find I miss my target more often on the mini. But if you were fine with the Nexus 7, then the mini's small size shouldn't bother you. The bigger screen and faster CPU is worth extra money if you want those things, but from what you are saying, I get the feeling that those things won't add much to your use experience.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Tell you what. I dont know if Ipad 4 32GB is worth the 450 price tag but imo, mini is not worth the 300. The screen is not good and letters are unclear.

For your use, i suggest staying with Nexus 7, the screen is more crisp. The size is mobile enough to bring to church and u dont even want to play game that much anyway.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Tell you what. I dont know if Ipad 4 32GB is worth the 450 price tag but imo, mini is not worth the 300. The screen is not good and letters are unclear.

For your use, i suggest staying with Nexus 7, the screen is more crisp. The size is mobile enough to bring to church and u dont even want to play game that much anyway.

problem is I sold the Nexus 7 already because I wanted the new Nexus 7 that never arrived.

While my main use is on the go at church, I also want to share this with my daughter who's 4, for gaming, kids apps, Nickelodeon, etc. I find that those apps are on iOS only really. As much as I love android.

Of course I could just get the Mini and a Nexus 7 and spend about the same as buying one full-sized iPad.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
problem is I sold the Nexus 7 already because I wanted the new Nexus 7 that never arrived.

While my main use is on the go at church, I also want to share this with my daughter who's 4, for gaming, kids apps, Nickelodeon, etc. I find that those apps are on iOS only really. As much as I love android.

Of course I could just get the Mini and a Nexus 7 and spend about the same as buying one full-sized iPad.

The Asus HD 7 tablet is right around the corner. For $129, maybe it would be advisable to wait and try it and keep the IPad Mini besides. Best solution possibly.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I hope a refreshed nexus 7 with the snapdragon 600 or 800 comes out soon. I was playing with my friends htc one and holy crap that thing is fast and smooth. Huge improvement over the tegra 3. Hopefully they use much faster storage like in the nexus 10 as well. The slow storage is responsible for some of the lag. Not as bad as the prime and tf300/700 but the nexus 10's storage is like 5 times faster. (fastest I have seen in any arm based tablet)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I think both will work for your priority need. What about secondary? Do you think using an iPad mini or full size will be better in other aspects of your life?

I've never had a need for a mini. If I'm going to be carrying around a tablet I want it to be worthwhile. The mini fills a gap I personally don't have. I use my iPhone when I'm out and bring my iPad out when I need it but it usually stays home.

I tend to look at things like this. If I had them BOTH which would I use the most. I'd never use the mini therefore I wouldn't buy it. You maybe different though, especially if weight is a factor.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Church use for my black, wifi-only 32 GB iPad 4 is perfect. This is in tow with me along with my wife and three kids who a seven and under. I find taking notes on it easier then what my wife uses on her mini.

I like the clearer resolution and also the bigger screen landscape. The fact that you can get an amazon deal on the iPad 4 at 32 GB for $450 sounds like a stellar deal. I'd go for it. Nothing against the mini, but my regular size iPad is my go to machine.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
I like the clearer resolution and also the bigger screen landscape. The fact that you can get an amazon deal on the iPad 4 at 32 GB for $450 sounds like a stellar deal. I'd go for it. Nothing against the mini, but my regular size iPad is my go to machine.

Yea I'm used to the Nexus size, but also the Nexus 7 resolution. I'm not sure if typing and reading on the Mini would be as clear. Weight might be better though. The price was great though. I actually ordered it but haven't received yet but can always return no hassles. I just had to get in on that deal.

I tend to look at things like this. If I had them BOTH which would I use the most. I'd never use the mini therefore I wouldn't buy it. You maybe different though, especially if weight is a factor.

Right now, I have a 27" iMac as my desktop and an HTC One, no laptop. This is kinda my middle machine. I had an iPad up until the Nexus 7 came out though. So I was used to it. I did like it a lot.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Right now, I have a 27" iMac as my desktop and an HTC One, no laptop. This is kinda my middle machine. I had an iPad up until the Nexus 7 came out though. So I was used to it. I did like it a lot.

Similar setup to me 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 4S and no laptop.

The lack of laptop is probably why I like the full size iPad. However I don't particularly have a need for a laptop and find them a compromise if you don't need portability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.