Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
Philip has been a great source of information and inspiration for me. There are a lot of early DSLR adopters that I have followed over the years but Mr. Bloom -at least to me- seems like the most genuinely passionate about the work and the tech. He's affable, and doesn't take himself too seriously (unlike some of his peers). I always enjoy seeing his work, and hearing his opinions on the gear and the industry.

Cheers, Mr. Bloom.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
People hate on Philip because they are not nice and Philip is. Do you know 2 things or talk like you know and then be a nice guy. Next stop overnight success.

These people do not know to be nice. Their Moms probably did not do these teachins on them henceforth they cry and toss their stinky doodoos at peeps. Me I am nice and I plan to bring back SVHS. I prefer the patina of SVHS in comparisons to Mini-DV.

I agree completely.

There's a look to movies that's closely associated with the format on which they're shot. Technicolor has that punchy studio look, the American Renaissance has that gauzy diffused long lens look, there's a cool look inspired by Richardson and Kaminski that was popular in the early oughts with kind of a diffuse ENR feel with softer light or at least soft fill. Advances in technology shape what innovators make possible and then whatever they do is emulated and becomes a style associated with an era, for better or worse.

The problem then is that really early stuff shot on any format, incorporating new technology before it's mature, often looks awful (early sound movies are very static, early anamorphic has awful focus breathing and poor compositions, etc.) and that technology is moving so fast that a Red One movie doesn't look like an Alexa movie doesn't look like an F65 movie but they all have their own look. And because each is affordable low budget producers go after those cameras and pretty soon that shiny look is associated with cheap, low end content. So we have a lot of immature content that dates itself fast. What looks more timeless? The original Star Wars or the prequels? LoTR or the Hobbit?

Exactly...

Backward-looking content often looks best or is at least the most timeless. A lot of shows are being shot on super 16; a lot of art films are, too. Even pixelvision is kind of timeless, by virtue of dating itself immediately. Early Red films looked awful and the only ones that will be remembered fondly for their aesthetic (Prometheus, Social Network) will be remembered as such because they evoke a clinical, aseptic feeling that captures an unpleasant zeitgeist to begin with. An ugly look for an ugly world. I really dig the idea of shooting on SVHS if you can't afford super16. Makes you work harder and gives you an aesthetic edge and timelessness higher end cameras won't. Ironically the reason the Alexa is the most "future proof" camera is because it has an old, or at the very least conservative look. The colors are almost exactly that of Vision 3 5219!

As for being nice, being consistent and reliable is a little more important. Deliver a consistent product... and be nice about it if you can. Cheers, though. I wanted to do the SVHS thing but lacked the guts!

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
lol find it hilarious that the bloomster replied to this thread, on a side note:

1. his reviews are what he feels is best described for him, not you so if you dont like his reviews buy the camera/equipment and test it yourself.

2. what exactly are you looking for in a review for it to be amazing? im looking for info, specs, ergonomics etc etc, are you looking for a star wars themed review about the latest tripod or something?

3. I agree with Bloom, to say he was in the right place in the right time is insulting, he works and he gets paid, he is only lucky in that he is obviously good at what he is doing otherwise he wouldnt be where he is now? are you doing any better or know him personally to say that hes just a lucky person to have been in the right place? meaning he has nothing reputable to his name that describes his ability to perform well?

velo

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Some posters on here need less posting and more working on their craft before they start critiquing other peoples work. Always seems to be the lesser lights.

Some people will never be "in the right place at the right time" because they don't understand or do the hard yards behind making it "overnight".

Last edited:

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Some posters on here need less posting and more working on their craft before they start critiquing other peoples work. Always seems to be the lesser lights.

I don't want to start an argument, but I don't understand how posting on a forum means that you don't have much skill.

I know for a fact that some of the people here are currently working on their craft.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Has anyone not learnt a thing or two in shooting HDSLR from Bloom? I certainly have, respect to him he deserves his success.

Last edited:

Future DoP

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2013
I agree completely.

Advances in technology shape what innovators make possible and then whatever they do is emulated and becomes a style associated with an era, for better or worse.

So we have a lot of immature content that dates itself fast. What looks more timeless?

Early Red films looked awful and the only ones that will be remembered fondly for their aesthetic (Prometheus, Social Network) will be remembered as such because they evoke a clinical, aseptic feeling that captures an unpleasant zeitgeist to begin with. An ugly look for an ugly world.

Ironically the reason the Alexa is the most "future proof" camera is because it has an old, or at the very least conservative look. The colors are almost exactly that of Vision 3 5219!

I think you are a member of The American Society of Cinematographer or British Society of Cinematographer or Association of French Director of Photography maybe. What you say is groovy and it teaches me. Thank you for this forum to have a knowing person. Have a good time my friend.

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
The problem with the internet

The problem with the internet and post like acearchie is we all have the same voice. So someone like acearchie can badmouth Mr Bloom and pretty much get away with it. Funny cos I've never heard of acearchie but Mr Bloom, yes. Sure he makes his living from filmmaking but he still has time to answer posts, give us a hard time sometimes :), share his knowledge and teach. And acearchie, never heard of him and for all we know he could work at Tescos? Funny because most posts like this are mainly from spotty faced kids in their parent basement but it looks like you're over 18.

Right place at the right time - sure, go read Outliers, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were too!

So before you bad mouth someone again, think, this is probably not the first time you've done this. All you've done is get the poor sensitive Mr Bloom a little riled up and made yourself look like a bit of a tit and probably not good for business too.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
The problem with the internet and post like acearchie is we all have the same voice. So someone like acearchie can badmouth Mr Bloom and pretty much get away with it. Funny cos I've never heard of acearchie but Mr Bloom, yes. Sure he makes his living from filmmaking but he still has time to answer posts, give us a hard time sometimes :), share his knowledge and teach. And acearchie, never heard of him and for all we know he could work at Tescos? Funny because most posts like this are mainly from spotty faced kids in their parent basement but it looks like you're over 18.

I don't see why I need a personal attack.

Am I not allowed to have an opinion on something regardless of whether I work with video or not. I'm not a chef but I can still tell if something tastes good or bad. I have worked with many people that have worked with Phillip and I have met him a couple of times myself.

I don't think I was rude or overly aggressive but I realise I didn't portray him in the most positive light.

Why do you have to have a dig at what I do or how old I am?

You praise Mr. Bloom for all the help he gives and assume that I'm a Tescos worker (what's wrong with that). I have over 2,000 posts in this forum, mostly in digital photography and digital video where I have tried to help people with their problems and encourage discussion. This forum taught me a lot and I try to give back but when someone like you comes out of the woodwork and starts to talk negatively about me and praise Mr. Bloom it makes me wonder why I bother.

I have to say that your post comes across as quite hypocritical and you're starting to sound like your own analogy.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
I don't see why I need a personal attack.

Am I not allowed to have an opinion on something regardless of whether I work with video or not. I'm not a chef but I can still tell if something tastes good or bad. I have worked with many people that have worked with Phillip and I have met him a couple of times myself.

I agree with acearchie, you can't just personally attack someone from sharing their opinion.

I don't know how you could possibly start assuming that someone lives in their parents' basement and does nothing all day from a forum post, and to counter that, you can just click his portfolio in his signature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.