Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I was really intrigued when I heard the rumor that the new apps will each have they're own specific color. I didn't really know what to think of it, thought it was kinda bs, and could never see Jony doing something like that. Anyway, I tired to see what that might look like. First I was changing the music app to look more like the WWDC app, and then went from there.

newmusiccc_zps7775135c.jpg

music_zps7e3da947.jpg

calendar_zps5214491e.jpg

There's definitely not enough colors to go around, so if this rumor does turn out true, perhaps the utility apps will just use the grey like in the WWDC app. Just experimenting. :)

CHI3F117

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Not bad at all! Not sure I see where the "flat" is here though. That being said, I think I could see myself liking this.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Not bad at all! Not sure I see where the "flat" is here though. That being said, I think I could see myself liking this.

That's the whole thing. It's not glaringly skeuomorphic like past iOS apps - but it's not metro ugly either. It's very Jony Ive like. For example, he's a minimalist, but the MacBook Pro/Air still have rounded corners, and a color to them.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I would actually enjoy that very much. While I am a major fan of simple black, white, and grey, those touches of colors work really well.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
I was really intrigued when I heard the rumor that the new apps will each have they're own specific color. I didn't really know what to think of it, thought it was kinda bs, and could never see Jony doing something like that. Anyway, I tired to see what that might look like. First I was changing the music app to look more like the WWDC app, and then went from there.

There's definitely not enough colors to go around, so if this rumor does turn out true, perhaps the utility apps will just use the grey like in the WWDC app. Just experimenting. :)

This is basically exactly what I pictured when I read about Jony Ive saying iOS 7 would be "black, white, and flat all over."

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Guys!! This looks like it could be iOS 7!! :D My one suggestion would be the status bar, do you think they will color code each status bar for each app?, (as that feature was introduced in iOS 6.)

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I think your concepts look great, however, I feel like there have been too many insiders claiming it is "flat" to not change more dramatically than this. With that said, I think you might be on to something regarding the colors as the primary 'highlights' for each app. :)

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal

You should be working with Apple towards color and design, I really like this! I'd prefer this over the current design.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

Flat doesn't mean removal of all gradients/rounded corners. All of Google's "flat" stuff actually has subtle gradients to improve the texture. Only Metro is full-on "flat" with completely solid colors and rectangles.

If you look at the current phone app it has a super huge gradient from nearly gray/blue to a dark blue in the title bar. Also buttons have more inner shadow. Also no more "gloss" effect on the bottom tab bar.

This is what I am hoping for - a fairly subtle change to each interface element but still giving a drastic effect to the look of the OS.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Great Mockups! Not sure about notes or calendar but the rest look good. Hope they all dont look as similar as your mockups. Besides color , cant really tell what app is what at first glance.

To all the people who don't get it, still. Flat doesn't have to mean "Windows 8" flat. Everything will be "flatter". Does everyone get what that means? Flatter. Not completely flat. Understand?????????? Jeesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.