Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
If the rumored Airdrop feature comes to iOS, would that mean a Finder type app would be necessary? Or would only Apple supported files be supported that would be sent to specific apps (I.e, .pdf files dropped into iBooks)?

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
If the rumored Airdrop feature comes to iOS, would that mean a Finder type app would be necessary? Or would only Apple supported files be supported that would be sent to specific apps (I.e, .pdf files dropped into iBooks)?

I would lean toward the latter more so than the former...

Apple is all about simplicity. Can you imagine the soccer moms when a finder window popped up asking them what app they wanted to import the file into?

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I'd love it to be the former, but likely will be the latter.

However, say for instance that you want to send an ... Evernote doc to someone, but they don't have Evernote, there would either have to be a convoluted system by which you can send a file to a compatable program ... or you have a simplified finder system to handle it?

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
im hoping for a documents app/folder that can be accessed by apps chosen by the user.

Homeslice

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2009
I'm thinking apples fancy name for wi fi direct.

share photos, videos (you've recorded), contacts, PDFs etc.

possible NFC support for touch to beam
like sharing?

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Im guessing it's using the share view and has a new icon that will be called air drop if there's any air drop clients available near you.

aussiejames

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Sydney, Australia
iOS already implements an "Open with..." System. Wouldn't it just be expanding on that?

The question is whether they are bringing back an iDisk like feature to allow storage, or whether you're forced to import a file into an app immediately.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
iOS already implements an "Open with..." System. Wouldn't it just be expanding on that?

The question is whether they are bringing back an iDisk like feature to allow storage, or whether you're forced to import a file into an app immediately.

I really hope they do bring a file management-type application to iOS. I really dislike how documents are contained within applications. It means if you delete an application, you lose any files contained within it. It means you end up with different versions of the same file in several applications.

An area on the filesystem dedicated to a file library app makes perfect sense to me. Files can be kept outside applications, imported into applications, worked on from several apps.

Sure, some apps can keep files within themselves if they so choose, for example if they have proprietary filetypes that other apps couldn't use, but can still be given export options.

It's probably never going to happen, but a man can dream.

mumph

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
The files will remain in AirDrop app much like the document chooser in Pages. The files can then be opened in iBooks, Pages etc. depending on the format.

Bonestle

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Darwin
Files can be kept outside applications, imported into applications, worked on from several apps.

Basically a camera roll (photos app) for files. That would do the trick wouldn't it?
You can look through your files and using a share sheet can open them in the app of your choice. Then the file is saved right back into your 'Files' app ready to opened by something else.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
If it implements the OSX feel, an iOS user would be prompted that another user has sent a file, and then ask if you'd like to accept it or not. It's at this point, the receiving user would need to know where the file is being "dropped" onto the iOS device.

If the file is to use the "Open With" feature, then I imagine only certain file types will be supported. If a Finder/Documents type app comes with iOS7, then I would imaging all files would be supported but maybe not recognized.

Another option would be to use iCloud as an in between client that would allow "Airdrop" without even being close to a user (similar to shared photo streams). To me, this would be an Apple-type solution and require that both users have the corresponding app that the file originates from. Developers would have to build Airdrop compatibility within each app just like AirPlay. To me, this seems like what would be most realistic.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I would lean toward the latter more so than the former...

Apple is all about simplicity. Can you imagine the soccer moms when a finder window popped up asking them what app they wanted to import the file into?

Thats the thing though..they can simplify finder as a concept.

Imagine a simple app that has a flat filesystem structure (no folders). You can open the app itself and see your grid of files, and just tap to open it. If you have multiple apps that can open a file it lets you choose, and set as default for next time. A search bar up top and the ability to sort in different ways (By date, type, name.) And the final thing is simple tagging (So I can tag something as "business" or "school", but you can have multiple tags on a document.) Tagging would be completely optional though and only necessary for users with a lot of documents on their device.

Apps get an api to access these files (With the same looking interface that pops up), and when they show the list it will only show the filetypes they support (So Pages only shows doc/pages, numbers XLS/CSV/numbers, etc.)

And finally the huge advantage that this brings - You can finally attach files to emails that aren't pictures.

That is what I want. Get rid of file duplication. And of course the old "Open In.." menu would still work as it does now, but apps would have a path to go on for the future.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
My wish for this is that files live everywhere and one can attach locations like tags. Folders are basically nothing else but one tag per file. So when I'm on my Mac, I can plce it in projects/mmxiii but also on my iPad in customers/apple and other places. Whereever I edit it, it's virtually only one file.

The location is attached to the file, not the file to the location.

But I guess that's abit too much of a sync challenge.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Basically a camera roll (photos app) for files. That would do the trick wouldn't it?
You can look through your files and using a share sheet can open them in the app of your choice. Then the file is saved right back into your 'Files' app ready to opened by something else.

Pretty much, but I imagine it would be more like the "All My Files" section of Finder - at least in concept. That would be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.