Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While quite a few low-cost cases based on the alleged design of the fifth-generation iPad have been circulating for a number of months, bigger names are now getting into the act. The news comes from CNET, which reports that Gumdrop Cases has developed its own $35-$65 cases and is in fact betting that the new iPad will make an appearance at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC).
[Gumdrop Cases founder and CEO Tim] Hickman wouldn't say who his sources are, but he's confident enough in them to start producing new cases for the iPad 5 and put them up for pre-order. In fact, a press sample of the $59.99 Gumdrop Drop Tech is due to arrive later today, and we'll update the post with new pictures once we get it. Gumdrop is also manufacturing the Gumdrop Bounce ($34.95) and Gumdrop Drop Tech Designer Series ($59.99). They're scheduled to ship on June 10.
gumdrop_ipad_5_case.jpg

The fifth-generation iPad is widely rumored to be taking design cues from the iPad mini, adopting narrower side bezels while coming in roughly 15% thinner and up to 33% lighter that the current full-size iPad.

The vast majority of reports have, however, indicated that the new iPad will not be appearing at WWDC, with Apple instead said to be launching updated iOS hardware later in the year. Relatively reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has claimed that Apple will begin ramping up production of the new full-size iPad in the August-September timeframe, with an updated iPad mini with Retina display perhaps coming several months later. Digitimes has offered similar estimates of launch timing for the new iPads.

Case makers have traditionally had a fair amount of success basing their designs on leaked measurements for new and redesigned Apple devices, although many were fooled by rampant rumors of a tapered iPhone design that failed to appear when Apple launched the iPhone 4S in 2011.

Article Link: Case Maker Bets on Unlikely iPad 5 Launch at WWDC

burl1ves

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Genius

Another Genius move to make sure Gumdrop gets a free dose of advertising right before a big event. I truly doubt he cares if an iPad comes out or not. Look at all this free marketing :)

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
The title says unlikely launch yet the case makers do fancy a launch next week bit confusing?

I hope these rumour sites are wrong and the Ipad 5 makes a surprise announcement. :D

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
I still can't believe it's June and we haven't had a major product release/update (no the 128GB iPad and 16GB 5th Gen do not count :D) :D

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I suppose they could reuse/render the rubber and plastic if their cases are the wring dimensions.

micros

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
The word stylish doesn't come to mind when I see this. But that's a matter of taste.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Besides parents with young children likely to throw these, who else would honestly buy one of these thick cases?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The cases are so cheap to make, like pennies, and they sell them for $20+, that they can afford to be wrong once in a while in the hopes of being right sometimes.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
with about 19 iPad updates coming in the next few years, it'll fit something eventually!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Besides parents with young children likely to throw these, who else would honestly buy one of these thick cases?

It depends on your use case.

If you have small children, and you leave your iPad on the coffee table and never leave home with it, yes - this is a good case.

If you travel everywhere with your iPad, like me, I want the case to be as thin and light as possible.

So, this case is NOT for me. But I can see people that could use it.

holycowcreative

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
Who's Gumdrop? Now you know.

I think it's a pretty slick marketing move. I've never heard of Gumdrop, now many have. So the cases they make don't fit...oh well, they'll adjust, fix or melt em down and enjoy the free marketing buzz.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I just can't wait for them to describe the dimensions in terms of "inches thin" and so many "pounds light".

Oh wait... I can.... :mad:

Apple already do this with the Macs. They are X mm thin. And X pounds/KG light. Only time before this translates to the iOS devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.