Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Airplane manufacturer Airbus has previewed an iPhone-enabled smart luggage prototype called 'Bag2Go' that uses a number of new technologies to help airlines and flyers keep track of baggage, reports Australian Business Traveler.

The bags include RFID chips for next-generation airline baggage handling and a barcode that syncs with an iPhone app that includes a 'Find My Bag' feature that hooks into airline databases to give you up-to-the-minute data on the bags location. They also have a digital scale built into the handle of the bag that talks to the iPhone's app.

Flyers simply lift up on the handle and the digital scale makes sure the bag is beneath an airline's weight limit. The airline believes the bags would cost some 20% more than comparable 'dumb' bags.

bag2go.jpg
Christened 'Bag2Go', the concept has been developed in partnership with mobile carrier T-Mobile and German luggage maker Rimowa.

An RFID chip inside the bag lets it work with the increasing number of automated airport and airline baggage-handling systems which can 'pair' smartchipped bagtags with your itinerary and frequent flyer number.

A barcode on the bag's trip-specific label syncs it against your iPhone and can be passed on to your airline booking.
Airbus says it would not sell the bags directly but could license the technology to partner airlines.

Article Link: Airbus Unveils Prototype iPhone-Enabled Smart Luggage

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Why would I buy new luggage and spend 20% more to help an airline track my bag? They have managed reasonably well since 1919.

If somebody steals the luggage, then I am guessing it will be as useless as 'find my phone', if you need the police to track and recover the bag.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Why would I buy new luggage and spend 20% more to help an airline track my bag?

I think it's more to give the traveller peace of mind since they can track where their bag is and not have to reply on the air companies statements etc.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Shame you have to put your iPhone in Airplane mode in flight or you could track you bags flying from JFK to LAX - as you fly JFK to LHR :p

thepowerofnone

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Why knock this? If you don't like it then don't buy it obviously, however having flown quite a bit and had bags lost on multiple occasions this certainly appeals to me. Its a natural progression of technology as part of a much bigger picture: previously dumb objects are getting smarter and easier to track. I like progress. Even if it comes at a (fairly small) premium. You're on an Apple rumour website - you are clearly pretty used to paying a premium for a few extras. And the digital scale is pretty handy too.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Why would I buy new luggage and spend 20% more to help an airline track my bag? They have managed reasonably well since 1919.

Well for one you wouldn't have to anxiously stand at the carousel with your fingers crossed hoping that with every minute you don't see your bag that it actually arrived at the same destination.

Like, you know, people have done since 1919.

Being able to track package deliveries yourself has become very useful. I'm kind of used to the idea of not just having to hope something turns up just because that's how it used to be.

----------

Why knock this? If you don't like it then don't buy it obviously, however having flown quite a bit and had bags lost on multiple occasions this certainly appeals to me.

Same here.

I'd rather rely on my own incompetency than that of others. When one of my bags doesn't turn up at least I wouldn't have to wait another day or week for someone else to get their act together.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I travel a lot and something like this would be awesome. Just a couple weeks ago... standing in JFK waiting for my bag to come down the carousel... waiting and waiting only to have the bad luck that my bad was last to be offloaded. So, all that time of waiting getting more and more nervous my bag didn't make it. With the tracker I would have known it was there and I would have been able to relax until I tracked it closer to the belt. I would have loved that!

However... I'd rather just have something I could put in any bag I got that would allow me to track it. Not just a specific bag.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Well for one you wouldn't have to anxiously stand at the carousel with your fingers crossed hoping that with every minute you don't see your bag that it actually arrived at the same destination.

Being able to track package deliveries yourself has become very useful. I'm kind of used to the idea of not just having to hope something turns up just because that's how it used to be.

Are assuming that the entire world airport system will update their infrastructure, to accommodate a tracking system to be displayed on carousels everywhere for a gimmicky iPhone bag?

Firstly, whenever I fly out of the UK I do not have any WIFI until I purchase credit for use of Data in that particular country, which would be after I leave the airport or baggage area, so renders this facility useless while waiting for my bag.

Secondly as I have alluded to, you would still probably have the anxiety of waiting for your bag, as I do not see the facility being used in a baggage area for customer notification purposes, only when you realise your bag is missing and go to the airline company, who check the system and tell you it is travelling at 30mph around downtown Rio de Janeiro! ;)

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

----------

Same here.

I'd rather rely on my own incompetency than that of others. When one of my bags doesn't turn up at least I wouldn't have to wait another day or week for someone else to get their act together.

You are still at their mercy. Just because you know where a bag is doesn't mean they can get it to you. I once watched my bag (which had been following e around for nearly a week) being offloaded from the plane that just arrived; since I was to board that plane to my next destination I explained to the gate agent the situation (the airline was trying to get my bag back to me after failing to get it and me to the same place on my first flight of the week) and asked the gate agent to please be sure my bag was on it. Despite assurance it would be I finally got it the day after I got home. Everyone knew where it was; unfortunately it and I were not in the same place at the same time.

When I don't get my bag the airline knows where it is and I can track it via the bag tag; the problem is physically moving the bag. I realize much does get lost and never claimed (just look at what unclaimed baggage sells) but the simple expedient of putting contact info in the bag would solve 90% of the "I never got my bag" issues.

Of course, how long before someone realizes this means some bent on destruction can time it for an optimal effect; assuming it provides accurate geolocation data?

I travel a lot and something like this would be awesome. Just a couple weeks ago... standing in JFK waiting for my bag to come down the carousel... waiting and waiting only to have the bad luck that my bad was last to be offloaded. So, all that time of waiting getting more and more nervous my bag didn't make it. With the tracker I would have known it was there and I would have been able to relax until I tracked it closer to the belt. I would have loved that!

However... I'd rather just have something I could put in any bag I got that would allow me to track it. Not just a specific bag.

Why didn't you ask an airline agent? With the bag claim number they can tell if it was on the plane, offloaded, etc. Delta's mobile app already does that as well.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
You are still at their mercy. Just because you know where a bag is doesn't mean they can get it to you.

No but it does mean that you don't have to wait around hoping it will drop off the conveyer and then hoping that the airline can locate the bag once it doesn't turn up. Fun fact, not something they can always do.

If the moment you step into baggage claim you can see instantly where your bag isn't then you can just walk over to services and show them exactly where it is.

It also means you know when your bag is likely to be delivered instead of sitting around again, hoping, that they identify, find and deliver it. This is especially important if you are not at home. No point in delivering a bag if you are no longer at the hotel to receive it.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
why not make an rfid chip that is portable that can be use in any bag.
really interested where this is going though

sorinc03

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2009
Really?

One has to be silly to pay even more for something that gets thrown about by baggage handlers. A piece of luggage should be cheap and one should be happy if it lasts a couple of years. Whoever pays more than $100 for a piece of luggage is insane regardless of what the luggage may offer.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
I fly a few times a year, so you're right I don't need to make an investment in great luggage.

However, my father-in-law and a few siblings literally fly multiple times a week as part of their jobs. They would love something like this. And a $100 suitcase can't put up with their weekly itinerary.

One has to be silly to pay even more for something that gets thrown about by baggage handlers. A piece of luggage should be cheap and one should be happy if it lasts a couple of years. Whoever pays more than $100 for a piece of luggage is insane regardless of what the luggage may offer.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany

Can you say "replacement parts"? ;)

Glassed Silver:mac

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I need the chip that I can add to my own bag.

This way when I check my case with my handguns I have a better grip on where they are. I like the pelican cases I use as I can put large padlocks on them, not eh crappy small ones that most bags will only accept.

mikegrad

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
why not make an rfid chip that is portable that can be use in any bag.
really interested where this is going though

great idea, some sort of bag tag.. of course it would probably just get stolen by the baggage handlers.

I fly 1-2 round trip flights a week and mostly carry-on my luggage, so its not an issue for me, but i can see the appeal.

sorinc03

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2009
I fly a few times a year, so you're right I don't need to make an investment in great luggage.

However, my father-in-law and a few siblings literally fly multiple times a week as part of their jobs. They would love something like this. And a $100 suitcase can't put up with their weekly itinerary.

Do they check bags in if they fly multiple times a week? I wouldn't see why they'd check bags in and waste so much time checking them in and collecting them. I fly quite a bit myself (not every week, but every few weeks on average) and I haven't checked bags for 3 years. It's just too much of a waste of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.