Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

EA announced today that it will be delaying the release of SimCity for Mac until August in order to "ensure a great experience" for players.

NewImage10.png
Today we are announcing that we are moving the release date of the Mac version of SimCity to August. We have made this tough decision because we do not believe it is ready for primetime yet. We want to ensure the Mac is a great experience for our players and that is why we are taking more time.
The Mac version was originally set for a February release, but was delayed to June 11th and has now been delayed again. The PC version of Sim City was released back in March.

SimCity's PC launch was more than a little rocky, largely because the game can only be played online. EA requires that the game be connected to its servers at all times to facilitate region play where multiple cities are connected to share utilities and citizenry.

At launch, SimCity's servers were overwhelmed with traffic and the gameplay experience was extremely poor. Today, EA seems to have ironed out the bugs and users are playing the game as intended.

Article Link: SimCity for Mac Delayed Until August

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm a little disappointed in this announcement, but at the same time I'm glad they're taking some extra time to make sure its done right.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
AUGUST? As if they couldn't **** this game up any more :rolleyes:

I'm a little disappointed in this announcement, but at the same time I'm glad they're taking some extra time to make sure its done right.

It'd be easier for them to just do a port. Any bugs from that would be the least of the players' problems.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
EA gets worse by the year. August, huh? Next it'd be Christmas.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
I really wanted this when it first came out on pc, but after all the f ups they have had with it, i really don't care about this anymore.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I'm all for Mac gaming and I'd love to see more great publishers start producing more and more for the Mac. We should support such publishers as much as possible.

Electronic Arts, is not one of these publishers.

We should not reward them for cloud locked single player, day 1 DLC's and releasing wholesomely unfinished games.

brownpaw

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
How often does the PC version check to see if it's online? I currently live in a remote area with a fairly high-latency connection usually. Some always-on games, like one of the Splinter Cells, would see high-latency as no connection, and it would literally pop up the "connecting to server..." dialogue every five seconds in the middle of the game. The connection is there, damn it -- it's just not that great!

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
How often does the PC version check to see if it's online? I currently live in a remote area with a fairly high-latency connection usually. Some always-on games, like one of the Splinter Cells, would see high-latency as no connection, and it would literally pop up the "connecting to server..." dialogue every five seconds in the middle of the game. The connection is there, damn it -- it's just not that great!

Think it has a 15 min window where you can be disconnected but carry on playing. You might be ok with your flakey connection or you might not, impossible to say sorry.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
Think it has a 15 min window where you can be disconnected but carry on playing. You might be ok with your flakey connection or you might not, impossible to say sorry.

Or you can just make a small mod to the game and it won't bother trying to connect at all except at start-up.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Hopefully it's a case of wanting to ship when ready vs ship when promised.

I don't mind them delaying it as long as when it releases it's not riddled with bugs!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.